Auto Transmission Failure

Hermo9er

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I drive a ton for work. I have had my JLU Sport S for almost 7 months. It has just over 20,000 miles on it. I was in a town about 2 hours away from home when I decided to stop for lunch. When I got back in and started the Jeep, it started a high-pitched humming sound (like when a car stereo isn't grounded properly). I was about 6 blocks from a dealership I saw on the way in, so I decided to head that way to check it out. About 2 blocks down the road I realized I could not gain another gear past 2nd. It jerked trying to grab 3rd, and the RPMs jumped. I decided to cruise on in since I was nearing the 3 block range. As I pull in to the parking spot the check engine light finally turns on. They check it out and said the code could only be a couple of things, and that it meant a transmission failure. They gave me a rental (a damn minivan...), and said it would be about a week. They said they had to drop the transmission and go through it, and were fairly certain it would be a blown seal of some sort. Their customer service was exceptional considering I didn't purchase from them. But, now I am wondering if I should keep the Jeep, and I love it!
Sponsored

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Why not?
They should fix it and you will be on your way. Its not like an elusive electrical or computer issue

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
You lucked out. At least you were able to get to the dealership. I would make sure you get an extended warranty, if you dont already have one.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Sounds like an EXCELLENT DEALERSHIP==

Keep it, now you'll have a NEW TRANNY with a NEW WARRANTY (possibly)

Good luck

JIMBO

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I’m assuming the concern behind your question whether to keep it or not is based on the issue of having a major drivetrain component be replaced after 20,000 miles so it no longer has that factory built feel.

Well, my recommendation is to see how it drives after they replace and make sure there are no other issues due to the installation. The tranny should be brand new from the factory so it should feel like the day you bought the Jeep. If all is well I’d keep it.

Now if they decide to rebuild your current one with new parts that’s a different story. I’d ask for an extended warranty of some sort.

I blew an engine once due to a flood...hydrolocked it. Dealer rebuilt the engine but it never felt the same. Traded the car in about a month afterwards for something different.

Good luck.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Wow, another no avatar, first time poster and it’s a major issue? Hmmm, this seems to be a pattern on this forum.

OP
OP

Hermo9er

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Wow, another no avatar, first time poster and it’s a major issue? Hmmm, this seems to be a pattern on this forum.
It's fake news. But here is a pic of my baby in my driveway the first day I got it... to ease any concerns of legitimacy...

20180609_165710.jpg

OP
OP

Hermo9er

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I’m assuming the concern behind your question whether to keep it or not is based on the issue of having a major drivetrain component be replaced after 20,000 miles so it no longer has that factory built feel.

Well, my recommendation is to see how it drives after they replace and make sure there are no other issues due to the installation. The tranny should be brand new from the factory so it should feel like the day you bought the Jeep. If all is well I’d keep it.

Now if they decide to rebuild your current one with new parts that’s a different story. I’d ask for an extended warranty of some sort.

I blew an engine once due to a flood...hydrolocked it. Dealer rebuilt the engine but it never felt the same. Traded the car in about a month afterwards for something different.

Good luck.
My biggest concern is longevity with how much I drive each week, along with the concerns that I had about purchasing a 1st generation model in the first place. I had an '09 Sahara JKU and loved it, but thought it was gutless. Then the new engine and interior came out that fixed all the things I didn't like.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
"Another no avatar"--a pattern on this forum--

What the hell do you think this forum is for ????????

Just chit chat with buddies and show your personal mods ?????

All NEWBIES use these forums for INFO/GUIDANCE and DIRECTION--

Usually when they first have a problem and don't feel the DESIRE FOR AN AVATAR--they ask questions/state problems !

W.E.

JIMBO

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
"Another no avatar"--a pattern on this forum--

What the hell do you think this forum is for ????????

Just chit chat with buddies and show your personal mods ?????

All NEWBIES use these forums for INFO/GUIDANCE and DIRECTION--

Usually when they first have a problem and don't feel the DESIRE FOR AN AVATAR--they ask questions/state problems !

W.E.

JIMBO
How is posting for the first time a problem without a diagnosis solving anyone’s problem? A forum is to share experiences, make helpful suggestions and solve problems.

I called shinnagins on this one because the pattern here is for newbies, who’ve not shared before, to post something that just stirs up crap.

Hey, it’s under warranty. Get it fixed. Once it’s fixed come by and share the complete story.

And yes, forums are also for sharing builds and chit chat too. Geez, go back and look at some of your posts Jimbo. Your hypocrisy is getting pretty thick.

Merry Christmas.

OP
OP

Hermo9er

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
How is posting for the first time a problem without a diagnosis solving anyone’s problem? A forum is to share experiences, make helpful suggestions and solve problems.

I called shinnagins on this one because the pattern here is for newbies, who’ve not shared before, to post something that just stirs up crap.

Hey, it’s under warranty. Get it fixed. Once it’s fixed come by and share the complete story.

And yes, forums are also for sharing builds and chit chat too. Geez, go back and look at some of your posts Jimbo. Your hypocrisy is getting pretty thick.

Merry Christmas.
Or, people in the internet age can share experiences in real time. That way, another person's experience can help one in the same situation.

I didn't try to stir up anything. I only stated events how they are happening from my perspective. How does me not having an avatar have anything to do with my Jeep transmission failing? It is still in the shop, and I still have a minivan rental. This xperience sucks, and I am asking for advice from a community of like-minded people. Maybe I should just get off of your lawn..

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
Heh Heh, I don't think you have any idea what my post was about-

But it doesn't matter much-

At least you said MERRY CHRISTMAS--same to you

JIMBO

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Yj Wrangler, 18 JLUS, 82 J10 Pickup
Occupation
Ford Tech
I work at a Ford dealer and usually if there's a transmission concern under warranty you have to get approval for full replacement or to repair the transmission. If it's full replacement typically it's a 1 or 2 year warranty and I believe unlimited mileage. The parts replacement route is also a similar warranty. I'm assuming Chrysler has similar policies. Whether you should get rid of the Jeep just cause it had that issue, that's your choice. Chances are you'll get it back and it will be perfectly fine for quite a while. I say wait it out after the repair and see how you feel about it.
Sponsored