Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
  • Banned
Came across some articles with some interesting details about the Australian JL that should be good for those Jeep trivia nights...

1. Arrival in showrooms will be "late next year" :(

2. The biggest change is not a change: No 3.0L diesel. Instead it'll be the current 2.2L diesel offered in the JK here and in some other RHD markets.

3. Australia might not get the 2L I4 (with or without eTorque) at all. Not complaining here though.

4. No Rock Track or Rubicon factory 33"s as standard.

5. "Jeep Australia is pushing its American head office to fit more features ahead of its local launch, including the availability of autonomous emergency braking that will become a mandatory requirement for five-star [ANCAP safety] ratings." We already had factory front/side airbags and rear view cameras fitted as standard in the JK. Hopefully some airbags for the rear will come about eventually. Might be bad for early adopters because they'll be paying higher insurance premiums in addition to having less protection in the back.

6. More than half of the 200 currently developed Mopar parts will be available in Australia. This is also likely due to a strict set of joy-killing rules they follow here called "ADR".

7. One last interesting bit: "Jeep is planning on sending a group of vehicles and engineers to Australia early next year to assess our unique conditions and customer demands as well as validating whether it could become a regular testing destination for future top-secret Jeep programs."

Source 1: https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news...angler-116509.html?trackLink=articleResults12

Source 2: https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news...rangler-116502.html?trackLink=articleResults2
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
2. The biggest change is not a change: No 3.0L diesel. Instead it'll be the current 2.2L diesel offered in the JK here and in some other RHD markets.
JK(U) in OZ has the 2.8L CRD not the 2.2L which can be found in the export Cherokees however.

Kalani

First Name
Kalani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU
I’m wondering whether we will get the hi top flares on the Rubicon here in Australia- can anyone confirm?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rockmaninoff

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
JK(U) in OZ has the 2.8L CRD not the 2.2L which can be found in the export Cherokees however.
Ah yes... you hardly ever see them on the roads here although it's an easy to have engine option.

I’m wondering whether we will get the hi top flares on the Rubicon here in Australia- can anyone confirm?
I've seen plenty of JKs that have the shoulder padding fender flares around. As long as the tyres don't stick outside the body, you should be fine. Worst case scenario, get them off ebay. A lot of people swap out the factory fender flares anyway. Aftermarket will definitely have their own copies too.

I want half doors as an option!

Kalani

First Name
Kalani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU
Ah yes... you hardly ever see them on the roads here although it's an easy to have engine option.

I've seen plenty of JKs that have the shoulder padding fender flares around. As long as the tyres don't stick outside the body, you should be fine. Worst case scenario, get them off ebay. A lot of people swap out the factory fender flares anyway. Aftermarket will definitely have their own copies too.

I want half doors as an option!
Yeah, id prefer it if they came standard though ;-)

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
What are "ADR Rules "? And "Autonomous Emergency Braking", in an Off Road Capable Vehicle ??
We have met the Enemy, and he is US !
So, when that tree jumps out in front of you while off-roading, you wouldn't want to stop before hitting it? ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rockmaninoff

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
So, when that tree jumps out in front of you while off-roading, you wouldn't want to stop before hitting it? ;)
I get what you mean but I'm sure people said the same about traction control and most Jeepers don't even know how to completely turn that off :)

Reg

First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford falcon
Would that mean we get adaptive cruise control in OZ ?
I really would like that as an option.

AlexK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
No Rock Track
Must have missed this thread the first time around. Echoes what I'd been hearing, and we tend to get largely the same spec as you guys. If this turns out to be true, that a Rubicon won't even have Rock-Trac and is therefore completely worthless, then I'm out.
Sponsored