First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Last week we visited the Reymert Historical Site and my wife loved it. With the New Year coming up, she decided we needed to visit some other ghost town sites. So, a trip to the south to avoid the snow seemed in order.

Day One: Started with a trip to the Green Valley area to pick up TrailsOffRoad's Box Canyon Road (FR 62) that goes between I-19 and Route 83 through the Santa Rita Mountains. Along the way is Greaterville Road (FR 229) that leads back to the site of Greaterville Town which was founded in 1874 as a mining town. Nothing remains of the town today except a cemetery. Both roads are well maintained and were easy to traverse.

Views from the Box Canyon Road:
20181231_124200.jpg

And the cemetery at the Greaterville site:

20181231_133316.jpg

From there we headed down Route 83 a short distance to the Gardner Canyon Road. There we followed the FunTreks' loop so that we could visit Kentucky Camp (a sister location to Greaterville) that was built in 1904. The trail to Kentucky Camp is easy and well worth the trip. There are a number of adobe buildings that are still standing ... you can rent them for an overnight stay.

Some of the ruins:

20181231_144821.jpg

And one of the original buildings that provide overnight accommodations ... note that the sign says BED AND no BREAKFAST:

20181231_144946.jpg

After Kentucky Camp the trail deteriorated rapidly:

20181231_153620.jpg

With the melting snow it was an interesting trail. Found one spot with a 16 degree climb and melting snow and mud to contend with ... didn't make it the first time. Used front and rear lockers and moved the driver side wheels up onto the dry bank to make the climb.

Mostly the trails were still frozen so the Jeep wasn't too dirty when we finished the trail:

20181231_161803.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
47Jeepster

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Day Two:

Day two started in the little town of Patagonia where we picked up Harshaw Avenue for the Ghost Town Loop. FunTreks and TrailsOffRoad both have the same path into Lochiel which is on the border with Mexico, but TrailsOffRoad has a more interesting path back to Patagonia across the San Rafael State Natural Area. After crossing over the mountains, the grass lands make a nice contrast. The snow was melted today and the roads over the mountain were a mess. BFGoodrich K02's are not the best of mud tires ... lots of slipping and sliding occurred. Talked to a border agent and found out they use BFGoodrich KM3 tires ... yep, they kept flying past me all day.

First up was the Harshaw Townsite. A cemetery and a couple of buildings are it. Met an Overlander from Louisiana and spent some time talking to him. Then on to Mowrey Townsite, which has some foundations that we managed to miss. Then Washington Camp, which is on private land now and not visible. We then went on to the Duquene Townsite where most of the buildings are visible from the road ... they are on private land, so no exploring:

20190101_123601.jpg

We then went to the Marcos De Niza monument which marks the location of the first European who entered Arizona land in 1539:

20190101_130042.jpg

From the monument it was a short trip to the border with Mexico. We spent a lot of time at the Lochiel Townsite where there is a lot to see. We walked the border road for a ways to visit one of the original border markers from the 1800's.

20190101_135923.jpg

The border there looks very interesting:

20190101_140129.jpg

The jeep collected a little (lot) more dirt with the trip over the mountains:

20190101_132010.jpg

We then headed back to Patagonia via the San Rafael plains:

20190101_125201.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
47Jeepster

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Day Three:

We had plans for four more ghost towns on day three, but it snowed overnight ... too hard to see the ruins when they are covered by snow:

20190102_105154.jpg

So, we headed home a little early.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, what a great writeup. Thanks. I'd like to visit some of these too. Maybe when it dries out :)

camprats

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-door Rubicon
Fantastic! We visited the area in 1998 with a pickup. Did you feel comfortable along the border?

Sponsored

Atom44wat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
This looks like alot of fun! Thanks for taking the time to share this! Looks like the family and I need to go visit as well!

OP
OP
47Jeepster

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Fantastic! We visited the area in 1998 with a pickup. Did you feel comfortable along the border?
We were a little concerned when we planned the trip. But, after seeing the number of Border Patrol vehicles in the area and talking with one of them, our worries went away. So yes, we ended up feeling very comfortable along the trail and would highly recommend it for an easy trip.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Yes. After being down there this summer (more west around Organ Pipe) I picked up a "tool" soon as I was back home. Those warning signs are not joking around.

Great stuff Tom, I will probably end up making this trip too now. Cheers

OP
OP
47Jeepster

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I have no problems with having the correct tools for any trip ... I follow that thought process carefully. However, I've been more concerned hiking in National Forests than traveling around in that area. I worked in the Green Valley area during the 1990's, and so, am familiar with what goes on there ... we had a few instances of illegals crossing our proving grounds. The best tool to utilize is situational awareness ... both at the border and at the mall.

There are a number of ranches and independent homes along the Ghost Town Loop ... I'm sure all of them are armed. And, I'm sure they notify Border Patrol when someone questionable is sighted in the area. Plus, look how open both sides of the border are:
20190101_131803.jpg

There are much better areas for nefarious business.

The other side of the decision making is that we voted to skip the FunTreks "Bull Springs Road" trail on this trip. Although rated as an easy trail, it's not as well traveled and a little more remote. We'll wait to run it with another Jeep along.

wildcat455

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon 2.0L
Occupation
Electronics service technician
Vehicle Showcase
I know this trip report is about a month old but I wanted to thank you for posting it!

Sounds like something worth doing! I've hardly spent any time down in southern as wheelin. Looks like I need to add it to my list!
Sponsored