Sponsored

ARIZONA - Short Notice Trail Run

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.”

- J.R. R. Tolkien

Maybe our experience gives a few of us a new meaning to that poem?

Lmao at “goat trail”!

Goat trail, Jeep trail... they really are similar after all... well... they can be anyway, LOL!

Part of what we all experienced on this run is allot like what any adventurer would experience going into the unknown and trusting on his wit, skills and equipment to get him through. You were right. We were never really lost, but we were “exploring” for a way out that we knew existed. (At least we presumed existed, based on the facts or data present to us, maps, etc.)

Now I realize that that isn’t part of the “normal” Jeep experience today, but it certainly has been in the past, and it did add a certain element of personal challenge beyond that of the normal, mundane “We are going here, this way, and everything is defined, and well established”.

By the way, if you ever hear the words “We might get lost in the desert”, or “The route isn’t completely known” again, you’ll know what to expect!! Hahahaha!!

Just to be clear, we were all up for the challenge, capable in our skills and our rigs, whether we knew it or not. That is evidenced by us all stepping up, meeting the challenge despite our doubts, and coming through on the other side!

Jeeping into the unknown is not for everyone, to be sure. Some know it’s not for them before even trying it, presumably from some other life experience or fear...

There is only one way to find out if it is for you or not and that’s to try it. You’ll know right away if it’s for you or not after you experience it.
I think everyone should experience it a few times just to “Be sure”...

The anxiety, adrenaline, and test of your equipment and mettle can be quite addicting for those who are a little more extreme in their “adventure streak”.

I hope everyone here won’t take this as I’m a “Madman” and will continue to go out Jeeping with me!!
LMAO!!
Great post, could not have said it better myself. Thanks again for setting this up!
Sponsored

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I was prepared for a long run. However the word "long" is relative. My opinion of a long run would last 6 hours or so. Well, we doubled that!!! No complaints and the sight seeing was out of this world. But Bill, you know if we ran out of fuel, you would have been the first person we'd eat for survival. Its in the route guide handbook, I swear!

0609191858_HDR~2.jpg

0609191409b_HDR~2.jpg

0609191409a_HDR~2.jpg

0609191731_HDR~3.jpg

0609191112a_HDR~2.jpg

0609191444~2.jpg

OP
OP
wildcat455

wildcat455

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon 2.0L
Occupation
Electronics service technician
Vehicle Showcase
Perspective.
Can anyone who went imagine running that trail alone, not knowing what you were getting yourself into? Or maybe running it in winter and having it snow, even rain, sliding around on that ledge?
I do allot of exploring out there on the trails by myself, and it was somewhat comforting having other people with me on that one... despite all the furtive “We’re gonna eat you before we die out here” glances!!

Sputternutz

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Perspective.
Can anyone who went imagine running that trail alone, not knowing what you were getting yourself into? Or maybe running it in winter and having it snow, even rain, sliding around on that ledge?
I do allot of exploring out there on the trails by myself, and it was somewhat comforting having other people with me on that one... despite all the furtive “We’re gonna eat you before we die out here” glances!!
I would run it by myself but only if for some reason the Bloody Basin egress was not an option. I have plenty of confidence in my wheeling ability that the way we went out would not bother me in the least knowing I was on my own, But, I have enough common sense not to run any of our route except the 7 Springs road on my own. As far as running it in the rain, I am up for the challenge but in the snow hell no! But then again, if I was running from the devil I guess I would give it one hell of a try before walking my way out. I never like to wheel alone but runs like the one we ran Sunday only serve to warn us that we shouldn't but we can if needed, confidence and caution should always be served on the same plate.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I would run it by myself but only if for some reason the Bloody Basin egress was not an option. I have plenty of confidence in my wheeling ability that the way we went out would not bother me in the least knowing I was on my own, But, I have enough common sense not to run any of our route except the 7 Springs road on my own. As far as running it in the rain, I am up for the challenge but in the snow hell no! But then again, if I was running from the devil I guess I would give it one hell of a try before walking my way out. I never like to wheel alone but runs like the one we ran Sunday only serve to warn us that we shouldn't but we can if needed, confidence and caution should always be served on the same plate.
I would love to make that run, or parts of it after a good rain.

Sponsored

Sputternutz

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
I think from now on when I wheel with someone that has a standard transmission, I’ll put them up front. They don’t have a torque converter like the autos do, so their gear ratio is direct vs being buffered by a torque converter, consequentlyi their Jeep moves a little faster on the trail. Happy we worked that’s out, sputternutz.
Thanks for explaining this Bill, a lot of wheelers that are only familiar with automatic transmission don't understand what the standard transmission vehicles require on the trail. When a standard transmission slow below a certain RPM stalling can occur and in a JL it is just under 1000 RPM when on an incline, my first gear in 4H puts me at about 5MPH, below that I have to hit the clutch and stop. That being said on a trail with with many uphill drives it is easier for me to run in 4 low at slower speeds rather than do a bunch of stopping before every uphill grade runs which on a run such as we did Sunday would not be wise because I would burn fuel at a much higher rate than the auto guys. I know this all sounds like the manual transmission 4x4 is a pain in the butt to drive but it is all about driving a vehicle not just pushing a gas peddle and steering. Other than that it is the JL's manual's 84:1 gear ratio in 4 low 1st gear that eats rocks!

OP
OP
wildcat455

wildcat455

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon 2.0L
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
LOL!

NP sputternutz.
Cut my teeth off roading in a manual. Ran them for 25 years before finally making the switch to auto in 2003.

Trip leading isn’t just about being out in front, it’s more about safety first, experience, guidance, efficiency of the group and ensuring everyone is having the best wheeling experience within your ability. I can still do that from the number 2 position in a line of vehicles, especially if the manual transmission person has a bit of experience and knows how to wheel with a group.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
We really need a good Rotopax mount for the JL for trips like Sundays. I think someone on here makes on that goes on spare mount with the tire etc. May be a good idea for the next Bill and all's excellent adventure. Just to ensure it does not turn into a bogus journey.

OP
OP
wildcat455

wildcat455

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon 2.0L
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I remember the days when Jeeps had 2 Jerry can mounts on the back, one on each side of the spare, and a water can on the passenger side up front by the cowl.

damn I’m old....

Well, you guys had nothing to worry about.
After a filling meal eating your trip leader and a little bit of rest, I’m sure someone would have thought to siphon his remaining fuel from his Jeep...

Sponsored

Sputternutz

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Hey all, running the back way to Crown King Saturday with a group from VJC if anyone is interested.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
We really need a good Rotopax mount for the JL for trips like Sundays. I think someone on here makes on that goes on spare mount with the tire etc. May be a good idea for the next Bill and all's excellent adventure. Just to ensure it does not turn into a bogus journey.
https://www.rockslideengineering.com/shop/accessories/ez-rack-kit-basic-steel.html

may be a cheap mount solution for spare gas and a highlift jack etc. or just use both sides for spare fuel. may be best option for those with stock rear bumpers etc. easy way to mount 2 rotopax gas cans.

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
https://www.rockslideengineering.com/shop/accessories/ez-rack-kit-basic-steel.html

may be a cheap mount solution for spare gas and a highlift jack etc. or just use both sides for spare fuel. may be best option for those with stock rear bumpers etc. easy way to mount 2 rotopax gas cans.
That might not be a good idea for a standard tire mounted on the rear swing door. A 2 gallon Rotopax unit weighs about 4.2 lbs ... add two gallons of gas to it and you have a combined weight of 16.8 lbs. With a pair of them on the spare tire you're adding 33.6 lbs of additional weight on the rear swing door. With the weight of the EZ rack kit itself (don't know if it 13 lbs for one or for two brackets) added on that's probably way too much weight for the structure.

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
Hey guys! any runs happening this weekend? I posted this on Facebook too, but I figured not all of you have a FB account. I'd be down to a run that is < 5 hours! lol.

PS: does this qualify as short notice run? :CWL:

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys! any runs happening this weekend? I posted this on Facebook too, but I figured not all of you have a FB account. I'd be down to a run that is < 5 hours! lol.

PS: does this qualify as short notice run? :CWL:
@jhonn236_AZ I posted on the FB group as well, I may be able to do an easy trail Sunday. the one Tom posted down by Box canyon looks fun (or even box canyon would be an easy fun trail). I am pretty open, but want to make sure it's a fairly easy trail with little chance for pinstriping. normally bulldog canyon would be a good to for me, but pretty smokey over there right now.
Sponsored