Sponsored

Are there any issues with Winch fitment with rubicon steel bumper?

davered00ss

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler 2 door
I have a 21 JL Rubicon looking to add a winch at some point. I look at a winch like a spare tire. Its there if you need it but probably never use it. Used the winch once on the 2018 Jl and that was to pull a stuck Mercedes SUV off beach in Corolla NC outer banks.

So I'm looking at ZEsuperwinch (we have on the JL Sport) or the X bull. I like the red synthetic rope. I just want to know if I will have fitment issues with not going with the warn winch?
Sponsored

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
If you’re saying you have one on your ‘18 JL and you want to put the same type of winch on a 21 JL, you should be fine. There aren't been any changes to the front bumper that mandates you buying a Warn.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

You'll need a winch plate, as the OEM steel bumper doesn't have one. I went with the Grimm Offroad winch plate, as it's a single piece of metal, which I liked.

However, the way the fairlead attaches is obnoxious. You have to remove the fairlead in order to remove the bumper, should you want to later.

My understanding is that the Maximus-3 winch plate is *also* a single piece of metal but the fairlead doesn't bolt to the bumper, so to remove the bumper, you'd only have the 8 bumper mount nuts to remove.

I still like my Grimm Offroad plate - it's beefy as hell - and I don't intend to remove the fairlead cover/bumper anymore, but just noting for you.

OP
OP
davered00ss

davered00ss

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler 2 door
18 JL Sport has aftermarket bumper. 21 Rubicon has steel bumper. I knew about winch plate. wondering about sizing in the bumper. I really dont want to cut it at all. GF's winch was for show at first. Thought it would be mall crawler. Now beach driving mostly.

jeep winch 2.jpg