Frontal

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2.2 diesel
@2Wheel-Lee

Well, I have now assembled the majority of parts that I need for the project, and in the end I went with the CTEK D250E as th price was a bit better than the Redarc, and the reviews were very encouraging.

https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/d250se

I have a couple of questions concerning wiring everything in via the storage tub.

Obviously you took the positive feed directly from the main battery, how did you route the cable to the tub?

Did you take the negative from an earthing point near the tub? If so which one?

From what I understand, the tub is not removable, so how did you get around this restriction?
Sponsored

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
@2Wheel-Lee

Well, I have now assembled the majority of parts that I need for the project, and in the end I went with the CTEK D250E as th price was a bit better than the Redarc, and the reviews were very encouraging.

I have a couple of questions concerning wiring everything in via the storage tub.

Obviously you took the positive feed directly from the main battery, how did you route the cable to the tub?

From what I understand, the tub is not removable, so how did you get around this restriction?

The plastic tub is removable, but not easily. I believe you have to remove the exhaust shield, but before doing that, you may have to remove the muffler. I didn't remove the tub. I didn't see that as a restriction, anyway.

I ran the 4awg from a 100 amp circuit breaker near the front battery along the top of the frame rail, zip-tied to an existing harness. It crossed over the rear of the fuel tank then back toward the tub. The power and ground went through the tub through bulkhead fittings like these (I had some, so they weren't exactly these):
https://www.amazon.com/Hilitchi-Pla...trical+bulkhead+fitting&qid=1586800243&sr=8-6

I put a sheath over the cable that further protects it from abrasion as well as heat (I believe the stuff I used was good for 1200 degrees F). Probably overkill. You can see it on the cable in the image.

I grounded the battery and everything to the body underneath the Jeep. There's a bracket that secures the parking brake cables to the body where they exit the body. Due to my lift, I relocated that bracket to the frame. I used the original mounting hole for the ground. Of course, I sanded the paint off where the connector made contact to ensure a solid electrical connection.

20191020_162033.jpg

99wishes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Moab
@2Wheel-Lee

Solar too, interesting. I will have to look at this closer.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Solar too, interesting. I will have to look at this closer.
Yes, the Redarc model I have has a solar panel input, so no additional charge controller is needed. While I don't have an immediate need for this, since I generally won't be parked for more than a day or two, that option gives me the opportunity to utilize solar panels should the need arise. I installed a huge solar system on my house, so I can certainly appreciate its merits (yes, I installed it myself).

Frontal

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2.2 diesel
@2Wheel-Lee

Many thanks for the very useful information.

I now have most of the parts required, and I will begin the installation over the weekend.

I'll post some pictures.

Sponsored

Frontal

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2.2 diesel
Just completed fitting the rear battery, charger and compressor.

I located the air chuck with the help of a threaded bulk head connector, and hid the ARB fridge connector and compressor switch out of the way on the side.

All I have to do now is add a few more consumers via the fuse box such as the Brawlee tail light, awning light and a USB charger or two.

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB refrigerator installs IMG_2145.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB refrigerator installs IMG_2148.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB refrigerator installs IMG_2149.JPG

99wishes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Moab
Just completed fitting the rear battery, charger and compressor.

I located the air chuck with the help of a threaded bulk head connector, and hid the ARB fridge connector and compressor switch out of the way on the side.

All I have to do now is add a few more consumers via the fuse box such as the Brawlee tail light, awning light and a USB charger or two.

Looks good. Give us a few more details. For starters which battery holder is that? Also appears you went without the AAL tray. Is everything attached to the tub directly? Curious to see more pictures with everything inside. Do you have install pictures?

Such a good thread.

Frontal

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2.2 diesel
Looks good. Give us a few more details. For starters which battery holder is that? Also appears you went without the AAL tray. Is everything attached to the tub directly? Curious to see more pictures with everything inside. Do you have install pictures?

Such a good thread.
Yes, I attached directly to the tub, and if I decide to remove everything, a few dabs of silicone will block any holes that I made.

I went with a standard Odyssey PC1100 battery holder that a local racing company near me makes to order. This one is made from Al.

If you need any specific pictures, just let me know and I will post them.

All in all, it was a pretty easy install, and most of the areas were simple to get to.

jbzonda

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Night Eagle
This thread is the best. thankyou @2Wheel-Lee & @Frontal for the detail you have provided for your super clean installs. This is certainly something im looking to install on my Jeep I bought only 3 weeks ago.

Im learning alot and slowly wrapping my head around these auxiliary setups. Im hoping either one of you had created a diagram of your installs and what is connecting to where? This would really help me visualise everything.

thanks again.

Frontal

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2.2 diesel
This thread is the best. thankyou @2Wheel-Lee & @Frontal for the detail you have provided for your super clean installs. This is certainly something im looking to install on my Jeep I bought only 3 weeks ago.

Im learning alot and slowly wrapping my head around these auxiliary setups. Im hoping either one of you had created a diagram of your installs and what is connecting to where? This would really help me visualise everything.

thanks again.

It's my pleasure to share the information.

I'm adding a few more consumers tomorrow to the fuse box and I would be more than happy to take some pictures of specific things for you. If you could let me know it would be appreciated.

The basic schematic looks like this:

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB refrigerator installs Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 17.56.11

With the service battery being the Odyssey.

Sponsored

jbzonda

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Night Eagle
It's my pleasure to share the information.

I'm adding a few more consumers tomorrow to the fuse box and I would be more than happy to take some pictures of specific things for you. If you could let me know it would be appreciated.

The basic schematic looks like this:

Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 17.56.11.png

With the service battery being the Odyssey.
Thats awesome, thankyou so much.

Last edited:

Stoop1r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi a4
Very nice post, Frontal, thank you so much for this informative reply: “It's my pleasure to share the information. I'm adding a few more consumers tomorrow to the fuse box and I would be more than happy to take some pictures of specific things for you. If you could let me know it would be appreciated. The basic schematic looks like this:... With the service battery being the Odyssey.” I have a question according to the car’s refrigerator. Is it strong enough for the temperature 40+c? I want the cooling system to work as well as my refrigerator which I purchased from a store with a good new commercial refrigerator.

Last edited:

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Nice setup guys. Does the Redarc setup isolate the battery also?
In other words if you left the fridge on and it drain the rear battery would it start pulling power from the the front battery?

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice setup guys. Does the Redarc setup isolate the battery also?
In other words if you left the fridge on and it drain the rear battery would it start pulling power from the the front battery?
Yes, the Redarc isolates the fridge battery from the vehicle battery. That's one of the nice things about this setup, is that you're not butchering the stock battery setup at all (e.g., Genesis). You can kill the fridge battery dead, dead, dead...then start your Jeep and start charging the fridge battery. The Redarc only charges when it has an ignition signal and input voltage is above a threshold (I forgot exactly, but about 13.4 volts), so basically only when the engine is running.
Sponsored