Anyone use the Mopar paint pen?

Laz

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I have one and have a couple scratches I want to fix but can't seem to get it smooth. Any tricks to using it you can share?
Sponsored

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
I have used them with success on another vehicle that wasn't a Jeep.

Fill the scratch with paint, then you need to wet sand the buildup with a small block.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Yup , what he said , going to need some light wet sanding to get it level with the clear coat which is approx 3 mil.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I too experienced the issue you have. It bubbles up no matter how hard you try to smooth it. What I didnt feel comfortable with was the wet sanding part. I thought I would end up just scratching the rest. So i just left the bubble there lol.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i got the the paint pen, but havent used it yet. what i have done is used a black sharpie. the trick in using the sharpie is not to drag the pen across the area. just blot the area. let it dry and go over it age a few times. i'm thinking you can do the same with the paint pen.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I too experienced the issue you have. It bubbles up no matter how hard you try to smooth it. What I didnt feel comfortable with was the wet sanding part. I thought I would end up just scratching the rest. So i just left the bubble there lol.
You have to get comfortable in knowing that wer/dry sandpaper can sand to almost a polished look, and rubbing compound will then make it look factory new. 2500-3000 grit sandpaper puts a pretty smooth finish down. You just have to work through the other grits to get there.

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
I had a few scratches that were deep and after touching them up wasn't happy with how they came out. So off to youtube I went and after watching dozens of wet sanding how-to's I picked a scratch that was in an inconspicuous place and gave it a shot. It worked great!! Now I'm comfortable with tackling them. Just go slow, use a light touch and be patient. You'll be surprised what you can take care of on your own without taking it into a shop. You can't always fix them but you can definitely make them less noticeable.
Sponsored