Sponsored

Does anyone use the "manual" mode on the automatic transmission?

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I've owned my Jeep since July and literally just noticed this option last week. I don't recall seeing it mentioned in the manual (yes, I'm a nerd and read the whole thing), but might have glossed over it.

Is there any real benefits to using this, or is it just to feel more sporty? Any dangers with it, or ways that I could mis-use it accidentally and cause damage?
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
It’s somewhat useful for fuel economy for open highway cruising if you’ve installed bigger tires without rehearing if you want to cruise in 7th or 8th gear on the freeway.

The transmission might only give you 6th or maybe 7th on its own, and sometimes downshifts when you don’t want it to for the slightest hill. You can keep it in the desired gear by putting it in that gear manually while cruising. Makes a difference in fuel economy if you care about that.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
I've owned my Jeep since July and literally just noticed this option last week. I don't recall seeing it mentioned in the manual (yes, I'm a nerd and read the whole thing), but might have glossed over it.

Is there any real benefits to using this, or is it just to feel more sporty? Any dangers with it, or ways that I could mis-use it accidentally and cause damage?
I use it two ways:

1. Bigger tires, the Jeep is resistant to go to 8th gear, so sometimes I force it over.

2. Off-roading, in 4 low, use it all the time to force gear selection so it doesn't shift on an obstacle. When just cruising down a dirt road between obstacles, I move it back over to "D" though.

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
I use it quite a bit and find it pretty responsive. I mostly use it when out for a drive on some paved back roads, not as good as a manual transmission but it is fun. Give it a try.

Rachel Ruby

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys and a 2010 Rubicon
I use it two ways:

1. Bigger tires, the Jeep is resistant to go to 8th gear, so sometimes I force it over.

2. Off-roading, in 4 low, use it all the time to force gear selection so it doesn't shift on an obstacle. When just cruising down a dirt road between obstacles, I move it back over to "D" though.
Thank you for answering this as well it is good to know because for the first time ever I will be getting a automatic Rubicon with the extreme recon package and I was to concerned with the automatic off road , but thanks to you I will use the manual mode for off road . So in 4 low going down a steep hill would you recommend manual mode in first gear to give me the sufficient engine breaking that I would need in order to go down safely?

Sponsored

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S - 2-door - Manual
Is there any real benefits to using this, or is it just to feel more sporty?
thats a loaded question....

I have a neighbor that has an Audi and uses his to "sound like he has a manual" to look cool shifting - so theres that crowd who pretend they can drive with a clutch

There is the sporty aspect to it yes - especially with wonky 38-speed automatic transmissions that can hang up, lag, or just not perform well where you can keep it in a gear to keep the rpms high and get better quick passing acceleration on the highway.

There is a practical aspect to it in the snow where you can manually gear-down the engine to prevent skidding, maintain control with power to the wheels, and avoid the ABS kicking in.

I personally only drive manual and find automatics very boring to ride (notice i diddnt say drive lol)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Can’t say I’ve used it much on my JL. This automatic transmission is so well calibrated it downshifts on its own right away when you want it to.

I’ve used it twice when descending a steep trail. But then I discovered Descent Control; it works much better.

I might have to start trying upshifting manually into 8th gear on the freeway now that I’ve got 35s.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I use manual mode every time I go beach driving. The transmission does better in manual mode and it doesn't get any hotter than highway driving. At least that's my experience. Driving in loose sand in automatic shift mode seems to be a bad idea since it's too slow to downshift and engine will bog down. I also use manual mode going down mountain roads. Downshifting just like any other automatic. You'll overheat your brakes otherwise.

Frank R.

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I use mine to keep it in 1st so I can stay off the brakes while descending my driveway. That's pretty much it.

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
I use it two ways:

^^^^^ This exactly, works great. And no, does not harm tranny.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I've on occasion used it to drive around town in Manual Mode when I miss having a manual. Too many gears and it doesn't respond as quickly as a DCT would so its only on occasion. Now where it really is useful is in 4LO and setting a specific gear to use off road. Otherwise, in D the transmission will start in 2nd gear when you're in 4LO.

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I only use it off-road when doing hill descent control.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Thank you for answering this as well it is good to know because for the first time ever I will be getting a automatic Rubicon with the extreme recon package and I was to concerned with the automatic off road , but thanks to you I will use the manual mode for off road . So in 4 low going down a steep hill would you recommend manual mode in first gear to give me the sufficient engine breaking that I would need in order to go down safely?
Going down, try "hill descent" button, works the best. But yeah hill climbs and descent, I stick to 1st or 2nd gear mostly.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Yes.
In 4lo I will use it to go between 1, 2 or put back in D pending trail/obstacle.
In 2wd, going up long hwy incline with headwind, when the tranny gets all confused with lots of shifts, taking over and just putting in 6 (or whatever gear makes sense) helps a lot.

In 2wd, hwy driving, going downhill or whatever, if you have adaptive cruise control, it will maintain your speed for you. Set it and forget it. ;-)

EJH220

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Rubicon Recon / 20 Aviator / 22 Bronco Sport
Not a lot, but in snow I find keeping things in the "correct" gear helps out. And when I leave a certain c-store in the little town I live near. There is a hill that goes down to a stop light by the elementary school. 20 mph limit during school. Helps keep the local cop looking to write tickets out of my life.
Sponsored