Sponsored

Does anyone use the "manual" mode on the automatic transmission?

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Does anyone use the "manual" mode on the automatic transmission?

Not often. But I use it on the trail and the highway sometimes when I need to take control of the gear selection. Such as when descending a steep hill. Most of the time, the transmission is in the gear that it needs to be.
Sponsored

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
I use mine all the time. Great for curvy mountain roads going up and engine braking coming down.

I also use it for engine braking at stop signs and lights coming down from highway speeds. Your brakes will love it.

G.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I use it for passing, getting into the higher rpms to make sure throttle response is as expected. Works well. Sometimes use it just for fun.

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
Serious off-roaders are increasingly switching to the newer 8 and 10 speed automatic transmissions for their ability to provide smooth energy flow in tricky off-road environments. The "manual" mode on these automatic transmissions, when combined with the hill descent and select speed features on newer Jeeps, is a great way to adjust your speed when dealing with risky uphill, downhill, and off-camber crawling situations.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Waiting for the manual transmission guys to come here and tell us we’re all idiots. And we should all be driving manual transmissions. Lol

Reactions: J0E

Sponsored

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
Previously only in the mountains, primarily to control descent speed, but after reading some of the comments I will try using it to hold 8th gear on the interstate. The constant shifting between 7 and 8 at each small upgrade is annoying.

Cjanak21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber Security Consultant
I just use it while coming to a stop in order to not use the breaks as much, haven't had the oppertunity to use it while offroading yet, but I understand its capibilities there

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I used the manual mode on my Sahara driving to my dad’s yesterday. The Jeep was consuming fuel at the rate of 13-14 MPG at 75 MPH on 7th gear; RPMs were 1,800-2,000.

I manually shifted the transmission into 8th gear: RPMS dropped to 1,500-1,600, fuel consumption improved to 15 MPG right away.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Waiting for the manual transmission guys to come here and tell us we’re all idiots. And we should all be driving manual transmissions. Lol
I used to be that idiot. I apologize on their behalf.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I might be that idiot, but for the fact that two motorcycles (parked next to the Jeep) allow me to get my clutch fix whenever I need it. :beer:

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I've on occasion used it to drive around town in Manual Mode when I miss having a manual. Too many gears and it doesn't respond as quickly as a DCT would so its only on occasion. Now where it really is useful is in 4LO and setting a specific gear to use off road. Otherwise, in D the transmission will start in 2nd gear when you're in 4LO.
It's funny, I turned my gear chosen screen on in the odometer section and was surprised to see my jeep starting in 2nd gear in 4L. I guess they did it as a safety feature so it wouldn't be too aggressive.

This could had been useful tackling certain obstacles. At least I know now and will try it out on my next trip.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
It's funny, I turned my gear chosen screen on in the odometer section and was surprised to see my jeep starting in 2nd gear in 4L. I guess they did it as a safety feature so it wouldn't be too aggressive.

This could had been useful tackling certain obstacles. At least I know now and will try it out on my next trip.
Bet it makes a pretty good difference with a Rubicon, lol.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I might be that idiot, but for the fact that two motorcycles (parked next to the Jeep) allow me to get my clutch fix whenever I need it. :beer:
Agree ! , I’m a rider. Two real bikes Yamaha MT-10 , Harley FXBRS and a nice automatic Xmax scooter. Lol

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Considering the auto wants to be in 2-7 and forget it has 1 and 8th, flipping to manual has its purpose based on what you're doing.
Sponsored