• Total voters

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Do a live chat and make clear what their mistake was. I wouldn’t keep it, personally, unless they say that you can (i.e. shipping and restocking isn’t worth it to them) .....
Agreed. A few years ago we ordered a dog bed (very large bed from Carhart) for my German Shepard. It was a few days slow on shipping (back order or something), but showed up about a 2 weeks after order. Then about a week after that a second one showed up. We contacted Carhart and let them know they had sent two. We didn't want billed for both since we had only ordered one and asked them for a return label for the duplicate. They explained that it was their error resulting from the initial shipping delay, and said we could keep the second bed at no cost. Based on the conversation, I assume return shipping and restock would have essentially made it pointless for them to take it back. Since I clarified it with them, I had a clear conscience about keeping it. It worked out well too, because not long after that we got another dog, and didn't have to buy another bed.
In short. I agree. Make sure they're clear about the error, and they specifically say you can keep it.
After all, if the situation were reversed (they sent 1 lift and billed for 2) you'd make sure they fully understood what had happened. It's not right for someone to leave gray area just because it works out in that person's favor.

.... a similar dilemma happened to me about a year ago. Out of the blue I received a Fitbit that I didn't order.....]
Funny enough this is a relatively new "scam". It doesn't sound like much of a scam, since they're not trying to get money from you, and the item is actually paid for. What they're doing is, someone will order items with an unrelated account, pay via gift card so it can't be tracked to a credit card and then send the items to random addresses. They will then give rave reviews for the item from a "verified purchase" which promotes the product, making it more likely to be bought by actual shoppers.
The recipients of these random items have no record of the order (because they didn't order it), and there's no packing slip or other method to track it. Amazon launched an investigation, but I don't know if they ever resolved it or if it's ongoing. Either way, I think it's funny that they refer to the recipients of the random items as "victims". Heck they can send me all the free random stuff they want, and I'm not going to feel victimized. If it's something I like, I'll keep it, if it's not I'll sell it, donate, etc. The actual victims of the "scam" are those who buy an item based on reviews, which were generated by the people purchasing/shipping the items.
No way to know if you were one of those recipients or not, but I remember hearing that some of the items reported were actually decent products, so it's certainly possible.

EDIT:
Added the link below to a random article I found via a quick Google search about this. It may explain it a little better:
https://www.businessinsider.com/people-receiving-amazon-packages-they-didnt-order-2018-2
Sponsored

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
Bezos is worth $150 billion, treats his employees like garbage and Amazon hurts small independent business. Keep it, maybe give it away. Plus, they didn't send a call tag, it's yours.

Last edited:

scishfottman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.30MinuteSalesCoach.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
It sounds like you already offered to send the extra one back and they told you to keep it. This is probably because it is not a cheap item to ship back and they were OK not throwing good money after bad shipping-wise.

If that is the case, do what you want with it.

Otherwise, I'd send it back if I was in your position. Karma would for sure get me later by having the lift fail or something.

Sponsored

jdog1969

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2 door
The FTC says you can legally keep it. If they sent it as a mistake, then it's yours.
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise

In my experience, returning things is a pain since it always seems to cost extra for home pickup vs drop off at UPS. If they would pick it up, I would probably return it. If they wanted me to drop it off, then I'm not going to bother.

In the end, only you can answer the dilemma of karma vs EvilMegaCorp.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Just because it’s legal doesn’t mean it’s right. There are plenty of laws to illustrate that fact, from past civil rights atrocities to current drug laws.

If the OP has to ask the question, then he obviously is conflicted. There’s a reason for that and we all know what it is.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I don’t believe in karma but I do believe in doing the right thing. If it’s not yours then you should send it back but call them and if they want it they will pay for the shipping. There are small companies that use amazon and can’t afford to lose product.

FranklinFlyer

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Grand Cherokee Overland 2017 Jeep Renegade Limited
Occupation
Producer
I would make sure that they really want it back and send it back

Or
Give it to a, maybe Jeep/Offroad related, charity for an auction.
Sponsored