DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Dan, I noticed in a different thread you were looking for a magnetized drain plug, are you (have you) been seeing above average metal in your oil analyses?
The level of iron is right where it should be for the mileage on the engine and the length of my last oil run (7100 miles), and I didn't like the ones I found, so I gave up on that. I may revisit it and find a good one. While the benefit might not be great, it certainly can do no harm.
Sponsored

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
The level of iron is right where it should be for the mileage on the engine and the length of my last oil run (7100 miles), and I didn't like the ones I found, so I gave up on that. I may revisit it and find a good one. While the benefit might not be great, it certainly can do no harm.
:like:

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I bought it off Ebay for about 20 bucks, IIRC. My dealership didn't even have them yet at that point. Dealerships should be well stocked with them by now, though, or can get them within a day or two. It shouldn't be long before Fram and others hit the market, too. I plan on moving to a Fram Tough Guard air filter if they ever put them out for the JL.
Oh okay thanks, you wouldnt happen to know the part # would you?

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I'll look in the package and will find it for you.
Dam you seem pretty knowledgeable, what do you think about the Green Filter? They now have one for the JL. It is similar to a k & N but suppose to be better. Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dam you seem pretty knowledgeable, what do you think about the Green Filter? They now have one for the JL. It is similar to a k & N but suppose to be better. Thanks
I have no experience with cotton filters, but I don't believe they filter as well as paper. If they did, the manufacterers would show data that they filter better. I haven't seen Green Filters but K&N only advertises air flow, not filtering efficiency. If I were trying to eek out 2 or 3 horsepower, they'd be great. In my Jeep, which sees a great deal of dust off-road, I like a good quality paper filter. The factory filter works well, but my favorite is the Fram Tough Guard. I'm not sure they'll make it for the JL, though. I've waited for years for the JK and haven't seen it. Maybe it is time to check again.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It is 68257030AA. You can get one on Ebay for 23 bucks.

Benny at @AllMoparParts.com will have them at a good price.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mdallas

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M50i, BMW X5 40i, JLU Sahara
I'm sure you are right. The next couple of used oil analyses will tell the story. The first three had high silicon, but that was likely due to gasket sealers and such from assembly of the engine. It went from 117parts per million in the factory oil, (2007 miles on oil) to 42 in the second oil change (3260 miles on oil) and then to 21 (4277 miles on oil). The universal average for this engine is 12ppm. I'd like to get it down there or a little better. The next oil change might not tell the story as much, because I've seen some UOA's where silicon spiked a bit if the filter was changed. I vaccumed and wiped my air box clean as possible before installing the new filter, and dampened the new one's rubber seals with 303 protectant, so they should be sealed tight as a drum with no air leaks, at all.

I know I'm OCD with this stuff, but it is all for fun. I'll post the next oil analysis in the future. I've got about 5,300 miles on the oil with about 38% left on the oil life monitor. I'm going to change it next somewhere between 10% and zero, if the timing works out. I'll change it sooner if going on an off-road trip, though.

I've sometimes gone 30k on an air filter in my JK, but they look pretty ugly by then, so I've backed off to every 15k miles or so.
What oil analysis company do you use?

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What oil analysis company do you use?
Sorry, I forgot to post it. I'll try and do that when I get home. It is Blackstone Labs out of Fort Wayne, Indiana.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here it is! I also picked up 6 more Mobil 1 oil filters at a different Walmart. I've got about 65,000 to 96,000 miles of oil filters stocked up for this thing. Realistically, it will wind up around 70k, as I'll run 5k to 6k between changes. I may give a few of these away to friends, though, too.

WwTZ6YN.jpg
Sponsored