First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL ECODIESEL Sport S
Occupation
Nuclear I&C
So I have a 2020 sport, since they have the rotary switch and lights in the footwell for door open. How or can you add the ambient light. Whats missing or what do I have to add??
Thanks
Sponsored

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturing
So I have a 2020 sport, since they have the rotary switch and lights in the footwell for door open. How or can you add the ambient light. Whats missing or what do I have to add??
Thanks
We recently did an installation on the footwells of a JL, of adding strip to the existing wiring. Feel free to view the video here:

JPWILLY

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLWilly 21 80th
We recently did an installation on the footwells of a JL, of adding strip to the existing wiring. Feel free to view the video here:
So you just tapped into the factory “door” open wire? I believe we’re all looking for a way to tap into the factory ambiance lighting roller switch so we can
1 have ambient lighting and
2 control the brightness.
Only the JL Rubicon’s and Sarah’s came with that (maybe as an option maybe stock don’t know). I’d assume Jeep in an effort to save money would use the same switch reguardless on the model (all doors have the lights) then just use different wire harness based on need. I’m gonna take a look at my switch and see if there’s a way to run a wire from it to add lights. Stay tuned!

SlowPoke21

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Electrical stuff is kind of my thing. Been doing it for a very long time. I hate anything todo with electrical “T” taps. I get it, they do work. And would probably work for 200k miles with no issues.

I would want to make a pigtail between the socket and plug and not splice into a factory wiring harness like that.

Example: What AAL has for splicing into side markers. (Obviously it would not need to be this big. And have different connectors).

https://americanadventurelab.com/product/jeep-jl-jt-auxiliary-lighting-harness/

KOKOKO

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willy's, 2022 Silverado Trail Boss
So you just tapped into the factory “door” open wire? I believe we’re all looking for a way to tap into the factory ambiance lighting roller switch so we can
1 have ambient lighting and
2 control the brightness.
Only the JL Rubicon’s and Sarah’s came with that (maybe as an option maybe stock don’t know). I’d assume Jeep in an effort to save money would use the same switch reguardless on the model (all doors have the lights) then just use different wire harness based on need. I’m gonna take a look at my switch and see if there’s a way to run a wire from it to add lights. Stay tuned!
Did you have any luck using the existing Sport harness for aftermarket ambient lighting? Per the Oracle video, the purple and yellow wires are present. I have a 2021 Willys (not a Sport but based on Sport) so I assume is why there is no functionality from the factory of the ambient dimmer or light. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored

nilyogi

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL 2019
id love for someone to follow up with this. im wanting to install an ambient lighting system that uses the built in dimmer as well. i hate the idea of having 1 or more separate remotes floating around the car - doesnt make sense to me

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturing
id love for someone to follow up with this. im wanting to install an ambient lighting system that uses the built in dimmer as well. i hate the idea of having 1 or more separate remotes floating around the car - doesnt make sense to me
ORACLE Lighting offers two ambient lighting options for the Jeep Wrangler.

You can view the Starliner Kit HERE & the Fiber Optic Kit HERE. Both have dimmable feature.

Feel free to use code FORUM10 at checkout for an additional discount!

Aaron1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (Freedom)
The left dimmer wheel can be used for ambient lighting control. I accessed the wire under the door panel. It’s the white/green wire in the picture. I spliced after the quick disconnect to the door handle light bulb. The control knob dims led strips I installed in the footwells.

IMG_0747.jpeg

Rssazn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU, Grand Cherokee L, BMW M5
The left dimmer wheel can be used for ambient lighting control. I accessed the wire under the door panel. It’s the white/green wire in the picture. I spliced after the quick disconnect to the door handle light bulb. The control knob dims led strips I installed in the footwells.

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding ambient lighting to a sport IMG_0747
You got a write up for this, interested in doing the same.
Sponsored