4wd low slipping help

T-REX DAWG

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
I'm sure there are threads on there but I wasn't able to find anything when I did a search.

I'm no expert when it comes to off roading but like to play in the mud when I can. I've noticed my 2020 Rubicon slips out of 4WD Low sometimes. Maybe I'm not shifting into low properly so I'm looking for some suggestions or pointers.

I have seen mixed reviews on these questions. Can someone answer these for me?:
  1. Can I shift into 4WD HIGH up to 40-50mph? Or I guess, what is the max speed?
  2. Do I need to be in neutral to shift from High to Low? (This is how I do it from stopping and shifting in to N)
  3. Do I need to be rolling, stopped or it doesn't matter in Neutral to shift in 4WD Low?
Any tips or suggestions are really appreciated.

Thanks!

T
Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
You can shift from 2H to 4H and back to 2H in motion up to 45mph
To shift into 4L, you need to be stopped or rolling in neutral at 1-2mph, not faster than that, or else tou will hear grinding when shifting into 4L. Otherwise you aren’t doing anything wrong and your shift cable might just need readjustment if it keeps popping out of 4L.

OP
OP
T-REX DAWG

T-REX DAWG

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
You can shift from 2H to 4H and back to 2H in motion up to 45mph
To shift into 4L, you need to be stopped or rolling in neutral at 1-2mph, not faster than that, or else tou will hear grinding when shifting into 4L. Otherwise you aren’t doing anything wrong and your shift cable might just need readjustment if it keeps popping out of 4L.
Thanks for the info!

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 JLR
I had mine pop out a couple times when I was breaking it in. The method I found was to stop on a slight hill, transmission in neutral, transfer case in neutral, ease off the brake until I'm just barely moving, then put it in 4L

It doesn't seem to want to go into 4L until I'm just barely moving. Like less than 1mph slow

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
After you put it in 4L, try putting it in deeper after a short distance. I think you might be accidentally short stroking. Mine has done the same thing a couple of times and this works for me.

Sponsored

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Not trying to be a jerk, but everything you just asked starts on page 160 of my 2021 Willys manual. Should be nearly the same for the Rubi manual.

G.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon