4.88 or 5.13?

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
I think my wife would hurt me if I went even taller, though she does like the ride of the 37s.
I originally told my wife I was going with 40s and big axles. I didn't. I stayed with the stock based Rubicon axles and 37s. And every time I now mention about going to 40s some day, she reminds me that I should have installed them (and supporting stuff) at the beginning.
Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I think my wife would hurt me if I went even taller, though she does like the ride of the 37s. The UD44 is plug and play, supposedly. I'm just going to use one of my Aux switches since I don't have the factory locker switches, plus I won't have the rear locked yet anyway.

I'm hoping aftermarket e-lockers or Truetrac are available in the next year or so but I'm not holding my breath. I don't mind going with ARB but would rather not.
hahaha. I'd be in trouble too. My wife wasn't a fan of my 37's when I got them. She said they were a little too "extra". but now she really likes them.

Deleted member 33002

So I went with 5.13 :rock: and I’m loving it so far. 8th is back..

btw if the UD44 is not plug in play with the rubicon locker wires. Tazer just came out with this PPhttps://www.zautomotive.com/product/z-locker-controller/

Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 FJ (+about $30k)/14 4runner on 6112s n Icons (looking at JLURs)
So I went with 5.13 :rock: and I’m loving it so far. 8th is back..

btw if the UD44 is not plug in play with the rubicon locker wires. Tazer just came out with this PPhttps://www.zautomotive.com/product/z-locker-controller/
You say 8th is back... so best of both worlds?

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Ha ha. So much for good decisions. I just ordered a UD44 with 4.88 and will re-gear the rear to match. I'm running 37s on a Sahara with the 2.0L, so even 4.88 is a huge jump. I hemmed and hawed over it. Oh, well. I doubt I'll regret it but can always change in the future if not happy.
Nice...Did you get the ud44 installed? How do you like it with 4.88 and 37s?

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Nice...Did you get the ud44 installed? How do you like it with 4.88 and 37s?
Dropped off the JL last night. I think it should get mostly done today. Only holdup could be the new tie rod isn't in yet. Should've already arrived so hopefully it shows up today. I did at least get to see it in the crate :rock:

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Dropped off the JL last night. I think it should get mostly done today. Only holdup could be the new tie rod isn't in yet. Should've already arrived so hopefully it shows up today. I did at least get to see it in the crate :rock:
Awesome...pics of that beauty in the crate?

Sponsored

breakerbaker

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2.0 JLU Sport S, 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650, 2003 100th Anniversary Harley-Davidson Softtail
Occupation
Navy Doc
Ha ha. So much for good decisions. I just ordered a UD44 with 4.88 and will re-gear the rear to match. I'm running 37s on a Sahara with the 2.0L, so even 4.88 is a huge jump. I hemmed and hawed over it. Oh, well. I doubt I'll regret it but can always change in the future if not happy.
I too am switching my Dana 30 front to the UD44 from Dynatrack and RCV! Going 5.13 for gears!

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Any news on the axle swap?
It’s done! Going through the break-in period now. The gearing change is great. I hit 8th gear once at 43 MPH. Lol. Couple small issues which I’ve ordered parts to resolve.

1. Had to get a new tie rod, as I learned from your posts. Tried to get Synergy but none to be found in-stock so went with Steer Smarts, which was totally fine with me, just a little more expensive. Got their stabilizer bracket but the shop couldn’t get the Falcon stabilizer to work. I know others have had similar issues so I just had them put the factory stabilizer on. I don’t like how it’s mounted so I ordered the Synergy relocation bolt, or whatever it’s called. That should be a better setup. The current setup just doesn’t look good to me. I’ll get some pics.

2. The RK sway bar disconnect on the passenger side has no room to disconnect. It’s blocked by the stabilizer mount and bolt/nut. Relocating the stabilizer might resolve that but I’ve ordered a different sway bar disconnect anyway, because the RK ones make knocking noises that drive me crazy.

3. Not specific to the new axle but related - now I’d like to remove the rear wheel spacers that I had installed to match the width of the front, which is no longer needed on the front. I’m unsure if I’ll get any sort of rubbing or binding on the rear. I don’t think so but I just don’t know. I started a thread in the wheels and tires forum but nobody has responded yet. I would just try it but I had surgery a week ago and can’t do any heavy lifting for a couple months.

All this stuff is minor. I just want to get the break-in done and inspected so I can hit the trails. I did test the e-locker and it works great. Can’t wait to use it.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
This is the direction we are going when our Jeep comes in. 5.13 on 37s with the 6 speed. I’m thinking it’ll like the slightly higher rpms on the highway too. When we test drove one, it felt almost like you were lugging it at 70

I typically don’t drive faster than 65 so hopefully it’ll be a good fit

Brett
My local transmission shop that everyone in the Jeep community raves about told me install 5.13s in JL 15X compared to the 4.88s I was considering. I am going to 35s, but will also be towing a 1700 lb expedition trailer on weekends. I am going with the Dana Spicer gears and I trust his input. I also have the 6-speed.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
My local transmission shop that everyone in the Jeep community raves about told me install 5.13s in JL 15X compared to the 4.88s I was considering. I am going to 35s, but will also be towing a 1700 lb expedition trailer on weekends. I am going with the Dana Spicer gears and I trust his input. I also have the 6-speed.
Please report back after install, after break in, and after off-road testing.

Sincerely,
6-speed Rubicon Owner

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR. 2022 JLUR. 2018 JL Sahara

how did the 5.13 R/P swap go for you? I'm considering doing the same... TIA!!
Sponsored