Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
Has anyone asked their dealers about terms and pricing for an extended warranty for their 392?

If so, are you willing to share the cost, and whether or not it is a manufacturer's warranty or a third party warranty?

I'm asking because I have been told by a "little birdie" that a lot of Jeep dealers don't even recommend the Mopar extended warranty packages, because whoever actually manages them is pretty shady about what they will or will not cover when something goes wrong, which of course creates major problems between the dealers and the buyers, and that there are even multiple class-action lawsuits going against the company that runs them as a result. Has anyone else heard anything similar?

I do know that dealers often make more money from the sales of third-party warranties, so I'm curious if that is what's really behind some dealers pushing them, or if what they say about the Mopar options is actually true.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Rob
Sponsored

TCS1666

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GMC Sierra Denali - 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 (ordered) - 2017 GMC Acadia Denali (sold)
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I will be purchasing the Max Care 8 year/100,000 mile Mopar backed warranty. Best price I could find, by a few hundred dollars, was from Tom Winkles at Hayes Jeep. Send him an email for a quote - [email protected]

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
I'm asking because I have been told by a "little birdie" that a lot of Jeep dealers don't even recommend the Mopar extended warranty packages, because whoever actually manages them is pretty shady about what they will or will not cover when something goes wrong, which of course creates major problems between the dealers and the buyers, and that there are even multiple class-action lawsuits going against the company that runs them as a result. Has anyone else heard anything similar?
I've owned mopar vehicles (with extended max care warranties) for 20 years and have never had this issue.

I am not going to say everything is always covered - for instance, I had a auto-dimming side mirror that mysteriously went black, that the warranty declined to cover. But that's the only thing I can think of offhand.

The max care also includes roadside assistance / trip interruption coverage, I THINK rental car coverage for a repair that lasts more than 2 days, it is transferrible to a second owner, AND you can cancel it for a prorated refund. I am in the process of cancelling the one on my ram, because I sold it within the 3/36. It has been a little hassle but not impossible.

It sounds to me like your little birdie has a great profit margin on non-mopar warranties. I wouldn't buy one of those unless it was an absolute last resort. Ask everyone who bought a "warranty gold" plan and then the company declared bankruptcy.

And as above - you can negotiate the warranty price (unless you're in florida which is a special hassle) and there are online / remote dealers who will cut you a deal on one. In theory the price is the same if you buy at purchase or within the first 12 months, but of course always subject to price changes.

I am also curious what the max care on a 392 looks like, cost wise, vs a regular rubicon. That's the real question - how much higher a premium is it?

Last edited:

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S, 2024 WILLY's
i believe there is a pdf on the Mopar site that’s lists all that it covers and I mean all items it covers. In addition the MaxCare uses all Mopar parts as replacement. I believe lower Mopar warranties do not and less.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rob97RR

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I will be purchasing the Max Care 8 year/100,000 mile Mopar backed warranty. Best price I could find, by a few hundred dollars, was from Tom Winkles at Hayes Jeep. Send him an email for a quote - [email protected]
So does that mean I could purchase a Factory-backed (I'm assuming that's what Mopar-backed means,) from other dealerships, it doesn't have to be mine? I take it that also means, it doesn't have to be prior to taking possession?

Sponsored

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
So does that mean I could purchase a Factory-backed (I'm assuming that's what Mopar-backed means,) from other dealerships, it doesn't have to be mine? I take it that also means, it doesn't have to be prior to taking possession?
Correct, and they are returnable if you want, they just prorate it.

OP
OP
Rob97RR

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
i believe there is a pdf on the Mopar site that’s lists all that it covers and I mean all items it covers. In addition the MaxCare uses all Mopar parts as replacement. I believe lower Mopar warranties do not and cover r.
Thanks!

OP
OP
Rob97RR

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It sounds to me like your little birdie has a great profit margin on non-mopar warranties. I wouldn't buy one of those unless it was an absolute last resort. Ask everyone who bought a "warranty gold" plan and then the company declared bankruptcy.
That's exactly what I'm concerned about.

Thanks for your insight!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rob97RR

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for all the quick answers and insight, guys. Much appreciated.

Just to clarify, I think the gist of what I was being told, wasn't that those things aren't covered by what it says in the extended warranty, nor was it about how well those have worked in the past...

It was more that, according to this person, in just the last few years, the "Mopar" extended warranties program, was sold to, and is now being run by a separate entity, and that entity has been extremely problematic in covering things that were supposed to be covered, EVEN when the dealership goes to bat for the customer. They even said that sometimes it takes an absurd amount of time just to get them to agree to cover the things that they WILL honor and cover, several weeks in some cases, and that this had recently reached the point of people resorting filing lawsuits.

Without asking around, it's hard know for sure if any of this is true, or if it's all a sales pitch to move to a more profitable (for them) third party vendor. The harder part for me was that this person has been very straight with me about everything else, so I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt and do some investigating.

So, I basically just wanted to see if anyone else had been told something similar, or experienced something similar with their Mopar extended warranties, before I give too much credit to what I was told..

I suppose I could also look into the claims about "class action lawsuits", though I don't have a clue where to go to find that.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help!

Last edited:

Mike8194

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys
My first thought is that this is rhetoric being pushed out by a dealer selling a 3rd party warranty with massive profit margins. Regardless, I would really like to hear others thoughts on this. I was just about to finalize purchase on a 8yr/85k Maxcare plan from Tom Winkles. His prices are the best and he is highly regarded on this forum. He has also been great to deal with.
Sponsored