Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Programmer
Clubs

I ordered the Rustys tire carrier with no eta on when it’ll come in…I am going on a trip and looking to temporarily mount the spare on the stock tailgate for a weekend. Can probably get by without opening the tailgate the entire time it’s installed. Have vision nemesis wheel with 37 km3. Little under 100 lbs. Also have the outback adventure table installed on the tailgate. Anyone done this without damaging the tailgate?
Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I've put about 30,000 miles with a 37 on the stock hinge. From GA to UT and everywhere in between and I haven't had any issues.

Mine&Hers

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Rubicon
37 KO2 on fuel assault's, no problem so far just make sure the bump stops on tailgate are tight against spare, you may have to extend them.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered the Rustys tire carrier with no eta on when it’ll come in…I am going on a trip and looking to temporarily mount the spare on the stock tailgate for a weekend. Can probably get by without opening the tailgate the entire time it’s installed. Have vision nemesis wheel with 37 km3. Little under 100 lbs. Also have the outback adventure table installed on the tailgate. Anyone done this without damaging the tailgate?
I was running a Chinese knock off Mopar hinge brace I bought off amazon. Literally IDENTICAL to the ludicrously priced Mopar one in every way. I was hanging a 118 pound KMC beadlock/37" tire off of it and what I found is the hinge doesn't seem to be the weak point. I mean it might be but in my experience what I saw was you need to be mindful of the rubber "bumpers" that cushion the tire to the gate. On one Jeep I had the foam rubber Mopar ones and on the other Jeep I had a homemade one where I took a Dayco rubber one and extended it with PVC pipe. On that Jeep there was a slight crease put into the actual tail gate and I believe it was from the spare tire jiggling around on really rocky trails and translating that right to the gate through the PVC pipe.
So make sure you focus on that area as well and in that case I would recommend the Mopar bumpers since they really allow give in them.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I ran a 37 with the stock hinge for a long time and on a lot of rough trails. I would extend the tire isolator bump stop to prevent excessive rattle/ movement.
Sponsored