Sponsored

35s on Mopar carrier w/o additional mounting bracket?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
There seems to be differing opinions on whether one needs that $300 mounting bracket to mount 35s. Does anyone have first hand experience? It seems odd that you buy a $700 reinforcement kit and 100% of the time you need the extra $300 piece. If so, why not make it one whole kit? [I understand for 37s, but not 35s]
Sponsored

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
There seems to be differing opinions on whether one needs that $300 mounting bracket to mount 35s. Does anyone have first hand experience? It seems odd that you buy a $700 reinforcement kit and 100% of the time you need the extra $300 piece. If so, why not make it one whole kit? [I understand for 37s, but not 35s]
You do not. I have my 35 mounted with just the tailgate reinforcement piece. The brake light can be adjusted up on the OE.

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Also if you’re buying one and have eBay you can grab the reinforcement part for less than $500

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ
I have the tailgate reinforcement from factory options and had mounted my 35 with very minor rubbing on the bumper. Door still closed with zero additional force needed. Problem was, the aftermarket wheel/tire would constantly set off the reverse proximity sensors when backing up. I bought the Teraflex oversized tire carrier and added it to the kit, and used their aftermarket camera casing, and everything is back to normal with my proximity sensors plus no more minor rubbing on the rear bumper. I’m glad I did it.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m running 315s with MOPAR beadlocks with no issue. For reference, 315/70/17 C rated BFG KO2s on simulated beadlocks weigh 100lbs on the dot. For the first 20k miles, I ran without the tailgate reinforcement. A couple weeks ago, I added the reinforcement kit. No issues either way. I wheeled it pretty hard with the stock tailgate and had no issues.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I forgot one thing, my new JL will have Mopar steel bumpers. Does that change anyone's opinion? Now that it's been mentioned, I do recall the issue of the blocked sensors.

Or...AEV could get their frame-mounted carrier to market, and the decision is easier.
Dave?......Dave Harrigan! ......are you listening?

Nomoracin

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Following...

I just ordered a new set of wheels/tires, so I need to know whether I need to upgrade my tire carrier at all. It's frustrating to hear so many differences of opinions, but I'm thinking it's due to each person's setup as not everything has the same size/weight.

My setup...

2019 Rubicon Unlimited - stock factory carrier
Black Rhino Roku wheels - 17x9.5 | -18 offset | 4.5" back spacing | 28 lbs
Nitto Ridge Grappler tires - 315/70/17 | 16.4 tread depth | 34.41 diameter | 12.72 width | 70 lbs

Will I need to upgrade my tire carrier?

Thanks,

Joe

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Following...

I just ordered a new set of wheels/tires, so I need to know whether I need to upgrade my tire carrier at all. It's frustrating to hear so many differences of opinions, but I'm thinking it's due to each person's setup as not everything has the same size/weight.

My setup...

Nitto Ridge Grappler tires - 315/70/17 | 16.4 tread depth | 34.41 diameter | 12.72 width | 70 lbs

Thanks,

Joe
I think you’d be ok with nothing but the tailgate might sag and bend over time. I have similar weight and just did the reinforcement piece and not the oversized carrier. The OE brake light can be moved up. Many think the reinforcement is a waste. If you have the money I do not think that. It makes the tailgate beefier to prevent that bend and sag. It doesn’t address the hinges though and from what I’ve told that’s ok. The reinforcement can be found on eBay for like $480-490 which is $100-150 cheaper than online. Falls city Mopar is who I got mine from. Hope this helps.

E5198691-ADC3-44E9-B013-4AC26B355E90.jpeg

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I ordered the optional tailgate reinforcement and installed 35's the morning after taking delivery, outside of adjusting the CHMSL up, there were no other clearance issues with the standard plastic bumper. Remember, this is on a Rubi and the factory tailgate mount is different than other models due to Rubi's coming with 33's.

Note: I finally got around to installing the Warn Elite rear bumper and I did have to order a custom 1/2 inch spacer from BORA for the spare to clear the bumper and allow the tailgate to close properly.
Fit perfectly and there are plenty of stud threads left exposed to mount securely.

Sponsored

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I’d also add that the bump stops are as important as anything. Make sure your tire is tight on them and you’ll be good.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Following...

My setup...

Thanks,

Joe
This is the single most discussed topic on the JK threads for a decade. The short answer is "yes". And...it's the tailgate rivets that fail. The hinges themselves can handle the weight.
Sponsored