Sponsored

3.6L Auto vs 2.0L Auto

Between the 3.6L& 2.0L which one do you like better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I can see the OP's logic. How much energy is needed to stop a moving car? What is stopping the vehicle? Heat from brake pad/rotor friction, tire friction, other internal friction (engine), and aerodynamic drag. Add a hybrid system and less energy needs to be dissipated by the other components, including at the tire/road interface. Less friction between the tire and road should increase tire life. Not sure how much difference it makes though.
Thought experiment: Imagine a frictionless tire and the most robust regenerative braking system imaginable. You're not stopping.

The tire is there to provide traction, not braking. It's there to provide the most traction possible so that maximum braking can be applied (without skidding), whether in the brake pads/rotors or regenerative motor, or combination of both.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
  1. What ever engine has faster acceleration than the 3.6 van engine the JK has I would buy.
JK 3.6L wasnā€™t ever really considered a van engine, it was first introduced in the Jeep Grand Cherokee right before making it to the Charger and Challenger and Wrangler.

Even the 3.8L that was mis-named a van engine wasnā€™t first used on a van either, but the fanbois of other brands called it that because tey had little else to say, all the while forgetting their own brandā€™s use of their V6 in their own vans, lorrys, and commercial vehicles not in the oblivious N.Am. market.

Chevy, Dodge, and Ford all had V8 engines in their vans, does that make those ā€˜van enginesā€™ too? Because if thatā€™s the case thereā€™s a lot of ā€˜van enginesā€™ I wouldā€™ve loved to see in a Wrangler, and some I still would including the popular existing mods people use putting the Chevy LS V8 ā€˜van engineā€™ to provide more power than their JK Wranglerā€™s 3.8L ā€˜van engineā€™.

RockAltered

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR V6 AT & 23 Ram Limited 4x4
Occupation
Retired.
Finally, someone brought up Europe giving up on diesel. I've loved my previous diesels and the torque lure but the added costs and potential future problems keep me with the Pentastar. As an old guy, ease getting into and out of my DD is more important to me than ground clearance and I stopped looking good long ago. Since you all tell me the Pentastar wants higher rpm's for 70mph cruise I guess I'll be saving lots of $ staying with 33's and 4:10's. Those savings pay for a Warn 9500 CTI with rollers and 125' of cable to help get me over those pesky mall curbs. If and when they offer a Hemi V8 someone will get a nice clean low mile JLU from me. Wyuka

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid regenerative braking adding to brake pad life makes sense, but not tyres.

I would love to see this in some controlled empirical study, because as mentioned the driving styles are likely very different too.

However I would also expect tyres to wear worse on a heavier hybrid system as well, just like they do on all heavier vehicles. Now the 2.0T isnā€™t in any way significantly heavier, but just saying ā€˜hybridā€™ seems to be an oversimplification also.

This Jalopnik article mentions this very factor;
https://jalopnik.com/electric-and-hybrid-cars-might-produce-as-many-toxins-a-1775747577

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The 2.0 is heavier because of the BSG system, and because high power turbo engines are built with stronger blocks. It'll feel stronger than the 3.6L right off the lot, and it'll be tunable for big power gains.

However, I voted 3.6 because it'll be a problem-free engine for a LONG time to come, whereas the forced induction direct injection nature of the 2.0 means it'll run dirty, soot up everything, and will be more finicky as the years pass by. It'll be more likely to require service also.

kiwi

Threads
Reaction score
JK 3.6L wasnā€™t ever really considered a van engine, it was first introduced in the Jeep Grand Cherokee right before making it to the Charger and Challenger and Wrangler.

Even the 3.8L that was mis-named a van engine wasnā€™t first used on a van either, but the fanbois of other brands called it that because tey had little else to say, all the while forgetting their own brandā€™s use of their V6 in their own vans, lorrys, and commercial vehicles not in the oblivious N.Am. market.

Chevy, Dodge, and Ford all had V8 engines in their vans, does that make those ā€˜van enginesā€™ too? Because if thatā€™s the case thereā€™s a lot of ā€˜van enginesā€™ I wouldā€™ve loved to see in a Wrangler, and some I still would including the popular existing mods people use putting the Chevy LS V8 ā€˜van engineā€™ to provide more power than their JK Wranglerā€™s 3.8L ā€˜van engineā€™.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Pentastar_engine

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[
The 2.0 is heavier because of the BSG system, and because high power turbo engines are built with stronger blocks.
The Hurricane is not a closed deck stronger block or even a semi-closed deck, itā€™s an open deck design that trades strength in favour of heat dissipation, so it wonā€™t support the higher compression ratios of more robust turbo/tuner engines. Itā€™ll be similar to an NA block in strength.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Dealership experience with hybrids show that both the tires and breaks last longer. Don't ask me why, I'm not an engineer, but it is a known fact about hybrids.
I can see brake pads, but tires? No. It doesn't do anything to lessen tire contact or force on the road. TIre wear will be the same, driving style being equal.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I looked it up today and should be used more than listen to verbal nonsense.

The engine was first used in China. Now that says it all.
It says nothing about it being a van engine, and does nada to improve your lack of credibility, when itā€™s not even the same variant and you misread the timelines. :giggle:

Weā€™ll stick to valuing professional assessments like Wardā€™s far more highly than your WikiBleats. :ontheloo:

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
since the 2.0T is already turbo charged. does that mean we could add down pipe and run a stage 2 tune, intake, exhaust and a bigger turbos at a later date?
Sure why not. I voided the warranty on my ā€˜15 Fiesta ST with upgraded intercooler, tune, and throttle body.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Thought experiment: Imagine a frictionless tire and the most robust regenerative braking system imaginable. You're not stopping.

The tire is there to provide traction, not braking. It's there to provide the most traction possible so that maximum braking can be applied (without skidding), whether in the brake pads/rotors or regenerative motor, or combination of both.
Rethinking this. I agree with you.

Raskass77

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep wrangler 392
Occupation
CDJR Sales Consultant
Please feel free to check my math but I think the 3.6L Auto is actually still the more efficient engine over the 2.0L...

So based on my local gas station (Lewisville, TX) itā€™s
$2.23 for 87 Octane (What the 3.6L needs) and
$2.89 for 91 Octane (What the 2.0L needs)

Letā€™s say we use 20 gallons of the 21.5 gallon tank that the 4 door has.
3.6L: 20 gallons X $2.23 = $44.60 per tank refill
2.0L: 20 gallons X $2.89 = $57.80 per tank refill

Well the 2.0L gets better gas mileage you say (Which it does)ā€¦.
3.6L: 18/23 = 20.5 mpg avg
2.0L: 21/24 = 22.5 mpg avg

So how many miles does each engine get you?
3.6L: 20.5 mpg X 20 gal = 410 miles
2.0L: 22.5 mpg X 20 gal = 450 miles

So basically you get 40 miles more for $13.20 more. If you fill up every 2 weeks thatā€™s 26 fill ups in a year. It will ultimately give you 1,040 more miles but also cost you about $343.20 (gas prices will fluctuate as well) more a year to drive the 2.0L over the V6. I love the idea of all that the 2.0L has to offer but when you factor in all of the things that could break on the 2.0L Turbo (Mild Hybrid) Iā€™m starting to lean back towards the proven V6. What are y'all thinking?
P.S. I'm excited to get my first Wrangler in the spring/summer!

I head the Aluminum blocks are cracking on the new 2.0l motors and fca is having problems with them.. they are currently looking to move that motor from the Trenton plant to dundee to see if they can fix the problem.. this was info i got from someone who works at the Trenton plant now with the new 2.0L motors. I was worried that the new motor will have nothing but problems.. FCA better get that fixed quick. Going with the more reliable v6 here.
Sponsored