First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
So the weather warmed up a bit over the past week and I've been smelling coolant. Over the weekend I popped up the hood and no obvious signs of coolant anywhere. Reservoir is in the normal range, cold or hot.

Ok, so Monday I looked around underneath the engine and I spotted coolant residue on the inside of the water pump pulley. It's definitely leaking from the water pump.

I feel certain it's coming from the shaft seal. Anyone else had this leak? I immensely dislike dealership repairs, so I'm just going to replace it myself. Hopefully parts are available.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It’s a very easy water pump. Parts were on back order there for a while, but they got better recently. How many miles do you have on yours?

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
It has just over 45K miles. I was looking it over and it doesn't look like a big job to replace the pump. It's not spewing coolant yet, but it's bound to get worse sooner than later.

jtlewis

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JK , 19JLU
I love my Jeep but what the heck- new long block at 60K. And they returned it with a coolant leak. Obviously took back— bad water pump … and they won’t cover that. There is nothing out there on forums or YouTube on replacing these. Anyone find help info on a 2019+?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I love my Jeep but what the heck- new long block at 60K. And they returned it with a coolant leak. Obviously took back— bad water pump … and they won’t cover that. There is nothing out there on forums or YouTube on replacing these. Anyone find help info on a 2019+?
Remove things that are in the way, remove pump, replace pump. Pretty straightforward.
Sponsored