Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I test drove a 19 JLUR with the V6 and Auto Trans. I really like it, and will plan to test drive the I4 in a JLUR in the next few days.

I want an apples to apples comparison.

What pushed you toward the V6?

What issues or concerns (if at all) have you had with the V6?

Thanks for all the feedback!

IMG_20190314_180104.jpg
Sponsored

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I test drove a 19 JLUR with the V6 and Auto Trans. I really like it, and will plan to test drive the I4 in a JLUR in the next few days.

I want an apples to apples comparison.

What pushed you toward the V6?

What issues or concerns (if at all) have you had with the V6?

Thanks for all the feedback!

IMG_20190314_180104.jpg

The 3.6 is a well proven engine. There's millions of them on the road. Fairly simple very reliable engine. Auto trans is also well proven. They're probably the best driving auto Ive driven (i've always been a manual guy). Never hunts for gears, always seems to know right where to be.

I have the same engine and trans in my 15 Durango which currently has 47k miles and zero issues.

The 2.0 has no track record yet. Doesn't mean it's bad but it's gonna be a long time before you can really compare them. It also costs extra and runs on premium which pretty much eats the difference in gas savings. If the 2.0 had a significant difference in power I may have considered it but they are so close to eachother that I don't see the benefit of a more complicated unproven engine.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
The 3.6 is proven, but each their own.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
What pushed me? Well, for starters I had no choice because I wanted a manual, but I would not have chosen the turbo, anyway. Too much to go wrong with it, too expensive to fix, and I hate turbo lag. Cue all the fanboys replying that this turbo has no lag. Cool. Enjoy it! It’s not for me.

The V6’s reliability has been proven. My first 13,000 miles have certainly been trouble free.

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The 3.6 is a well proven engine. There's millions of them on the road. Fairly simple very reliable engine. Auto trans is also well proven. They're probably the best driving auto Ive driven (i've always been a manual guy). Never hunts for gears, always seems to know right where to be.

I have the same engine and trans in my 15 Durango which currently has 47k miles and zero issues.

The 2.0 has no track record yet. Doesn't mean it's bad but it's gonna be a long time before you can really compare them. It also costs extra and runs on premium which pretty much eats the difference in gas savings. If the 2.0 had a significant difference in power I may have considered it but they are so close to eachother that I don't see the benefit of a more complicated unproven engine.
I agree with most of your points. I will add the 3.6 is a quieter engine and it has a nice liner power delivery. Just curious if you drove a 2.0 back to back with a 3.6? Or maybe you drove a 2.0 with regular gas instead of premium? In my opinion the 2.0 does have a significant power difference. Not in hp but in useable torque. I definitely feel the extra push in the back while accelerating. It should definitely be noticeable to most people who drives both engines back to back.

Sponsored

FDXGUY

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I’m on my 4th vehicle with a 3.6 and never had an issue. It’s pretty stout for a V6. I drove a 2.0 and a 3.6 back to back 4 times when I bought my JL. The 2.0 was nice but not for me. The 2.0 has too many parts that can fail, not a fan of the etorque set up and turbos love air flow. I live in the desert where it is 110 degrees + all summer and that doesn’t make for a low displacement turbo engine.

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
No issues or concerns with the engine so far. I really like small turbo engines, but I strayed away from this new one for a few reasons. Mainly because they force you to use the auto trans with the 2.0, making it a $2k upgrade for a slightly more usable power band. Couple that with its relative newness in this application and it made me a little weary. Looking back I am 100% sure I went the right direction. Especially when I'm rowing the manual and hear the v6 on deceleration while in gear. Sounds so good it's almost like the Italians added that flair into the jeep's design. Although I'm sure that is probably not the case. But if you're dead set on an auto gearbox, the 2.0 is probably a fine engine also.

Jlmoe

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Rubicon
Had a 13' JK which I sold to my cousin
120K miles

Other cousin has a 12' JK
110K miles

Stupid hot Kuwait environment.. No issues from both whatsoever.

Solid engine!
Sponsored