OP
techieanalyst

techieanalyst

First Name
EC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon (Only missing Proxy) / 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 6.4" Box w/eTorque
Occupation
Engineer
The Trim levels, well I’ve always been offered good money on all my rubi trades, on two Sarahs trades I felt screwed over and notice lots of Sarahs’s new and used always available and rubis less so, hence the trim level point....considering I’ve never had a car loan for any new Jeep I’ve owned, though not an expert by any means, personal experience after like 8 trades up.
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
MOAB still has the stick shifter for the transfer case...the problem is her inability to use that lever. Yes, the vehicle doesn't need to be switched nearly as often with the Auto mode, but it's still a mind thing for her to use the shifter. It's a band aid fix and not a full solution.
Just stick it in auto and leave it alone.

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
Just stick it in auto and leave it alone.
Maybe all winter, but seems like that would be overkill. Also, wouldn't that add wear and tear on the drivetrain if used 24/7, even during summer? If not, why not just have that as standard...as in no 2H option. Just curious as I don't really know the answer.

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just impressed that his wife is so picky about not using 4HI on dry pavement like the manual says LOL. I would say that 99.9% of wives don't know (or don't care) about drivetrain binding!

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
Just buy her a new Durango with full-time AWD and be done with it.

Sponsored

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Seems like the G-Wagen is your answer. Lockers and AWD (or at least an "auto" 4WD...can't remember which it has).

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Maybe all winter, but seems like that would be overkill. Also, wouldn't that add wear and tear on the drivetrain if used 24/7, even during summer? If not, why not just have that as standard...as in no 2H option. Just curious as I don't really know the answer.
Selec trac when in auto, only transfers power to the front when it senses slippage. No damage will occur. Maybe get about a half mpg less. As to why it actually still has 2wd, I don’t know. But according to the manual, because it’s not constantly in 4wd, running 4wd auto all the time is ok.

OP
OP
techieanalyst

techieanalyst

First Name
EC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon (Only missing Proxy) / 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 6.4" Box w/eTorque
Occupation
Engineer
I'm just impressed that his wife is so picky about not using 4HI on dry pavement like the manual says LOL. I would say that 99.9% of wives don't know (or don't care) about drivetrain binding!
She just prefers not caring about it at all, basically before storms or when roads are bad Ill make sure its in 4x4 for her, I explain literally just shift it up, she forgets, it binds she freaks out and calls me lol

She hates the durago look :P shes eastern European...…..the Jeep was a "Fun" middle ground, she hated the new Navigator and Escalades etc, so I gave her some good choices

Might be Audi next time

OP
OP
techieanalyst

techieanalyst

First Name
EC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Seems like the G-Wagen is your answer. Lockers and AWD (or at least an "auto" 4WD...can't remember which it has).
She likes the G63 lol

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
A MOAB is the happy medium :like:

IMG_1055.jpeg
Looks more like a "Large" to me, from my 2-doors-with-the-back-seat-out perspective. LOL. It is certainly a beautiful vehicle, though.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
^This is what I wish the Rubicons had. For example, driving on wet pavement in 2HI and then driving over pavement that's lightly covered in snow, especially at higher speeds...you want something like 4HI-auto that will detect wheel slippage. If I'm on the highway going 50-55 and the road keeps going from wet to snow-covered back to wet, manually shifting the transfer case back and forth is not ideal. I'd rather keep both hands on the wheel!
It makes sense, yes. Although I don't think every time you come on the snow you really need it in 4HI but sometimes its called for.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
MOAB still has the stick shifter for the transfer case...the problem is her inability to use that lever. Yes, the vehicle doesn't need to be switched nearly as often with the Auto mode, but it's still a mind thing for her to use the shifter. It's a band aid fix and not a full solution.
Just put it in 4 Auto and leave it.

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
It makes sense, yes. Although I don't think every time you come on the snow you really need it in 4HI but sometimes its called for.
Agreed, however, I'd rather have the peace of mind of having 4HI-auto versus white-knuckling the steering wheel in 2HI, assuming the back end isn't going to slide out at any moment from a sudden patch of snow.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed, however, I'd rather have the peace of mind of having 4HI-auto versus white-knuckling the steering wheel in 2HI, assuming the back end isn't going to slide out at any moment from a sudden patch of snow.
Fully agree. The last snow we had most of the roads were plowed in short order. Except for mine. So we had pretty deep snow that required 4 HI and then suddenly dry pavement.... I had to be fast with mine, so I can see the benefit of the auto.

What irks me is that pretty much every European Wrangler (with a few exceptions) comes with selectrac.
Sponsored