JoeValkIS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Can Am Spyder F3T
Vehicle Showcase
I have my new 2019 Ram Limited that I'm loving, I just want her to be happy, its paid in full and I'd hate to trade it in but she just seems to be having so many issues, then not remembering to take it out etc. I know first world problems but if you saw her break down and cry your heart would break ever so slightly.

No room for another vehicle, and where my vehicles are all paid off I don't want to get into a payment (being debt free is nice).
And I guess you have too much invested in Wife1.0 to go for Wife2.0 too. LOL

I have no advise for you on how to get your wife used to handling the 4x4 stick. Mine girl has a 2000 TJ and has only put it in 4x4 once...when we tested/showed her how this winter. So far, she hasn't needed it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
techieanalyst

techieanalyst

First Name
EC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon (Only missing Proxy) / 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 6.4" Box w/eTorque
Occupation
Engineer
She will have been driving a year next month lol

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
So what situations is she needing to go from 2HI to 4HI? She should leave it in 2HI if she's on the road, and only use 4HI if if the road is covered with snow etc. It sounds like she shouldn't be wheeling off road by herself until she's got some more experience with the transfer case.

OP
OP
techieanalyst

techieanalyst

First Name
EC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon (Only missing Proxy) / 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 6.4" Box w/eTorque
Occupation
Engineer
So what situations is she needing to go from 2HI to 4HI? She should leave it in 2HI if she's on the road, and only use 4HI if if the road is covered with snow etc. It sounds like she shouldn't be wheeling off road by herself until she's got some more experience with the transfer case.
Canadian weather. I've only gotten about 20 calls because all it did was spin in 2HI...…..drive to simply put in 4HI and nothing, once was a near empty parking lot, just a lot of ice......its being more of a job at this point, i honestly thought she was doing it just to get another car but i have my doubts they play act this hard

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing, Most Saharas have the Part time transfer case as well. Even with the Select Trac it still isn't AWD, but an automatic 4WD. Once enough slippage has been detected with the rear wheels(if the lever is in 4HI Auto), the computer will activate the 4WD and it will have a 50/50 torque split just the same as the other transfer cases.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Canadian weather. I've only gotten about 20 calls because all it did was spin in 2HI...…..drive to simply put in 4HI and nothing, once was a near empty parking lot, just a lot of ice......its being more of a job at this point, i honestly thought she was doing it just to get another car but i have my doubts they play act this hard
Ah. I hate to say this, but maybe a trade for a Grand Cherokee is in order? Either that or a thorough period of instruction of the When Why and How of part time 4x4.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Trade it and get selec trac. Probably the only way she’ll be happy at this point.

OP
OP
techieanalyst

techieanalyst

First Name
EC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
She had a ford escape before and she had no issues (it was full time awd though).

Hate to trade in the jeep but that might be the only option at this point. 8 occasions to parking lots to teach her, nailed it, but by the following day shes treating it like opening a child proof pill bottle again, its just weird...…….

OP
OP
techieanalyst

techieanalyst

First Name
EC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Trade it and get selec trac. Probably the only way she’ll be happy at this point.
Yeah, figures but I only buy the top trim level for vehicles (its my stupid punk ass thing), and she hates the look of the grands :P

Sponsored

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing, Most Saharas have the Part time transfer case as well. Even with the Select Trac it still isn't AWD, but an automatic 4WD. Once enough slippage has been detected with the rear wheels(if the lever is in 4HI Auto), the computer will activate the 4WD and it will have a 50/50 torque split just the same as the other transfer cases.
^This is what I wish the Rubicons had. For example, driving on wet pavement in 2HI and then driving over pavement that's lightly covered in snow, especially at higher speeds...you want something like 4HI-auto that will detect wheel slippage. If I'm on the highway going 50-55 and the road keeps going from wet to snow-covered back to wet, manually shifting the transfer case back and forth is not ideal. I'd rather keep both hands on the wheel!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, figures but I only buy the top trim level for vehicles (its my stupid punk ass thing), and she hates the look of the grands :P
The MOAB is fully loaded, and has Select-Trac standard. Not sure if its the Top Trim level but it will fit her needs well once you get the KM2s swapped with a winter rated tire.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Never understood why people assume that the most expensive model is the “ top trim level “. It all depends on your use. Most of a Rubicon’s meat is underneath, and it sounds like she doesn’t need it. If you like the way a Rubicon looks, get her a Moab.
Sport is a base model. Sport s has a few more options. Rubicon is heavy duty. Sahara is the luxury model. Moab is Sahara with some Rubi trim .

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Go MOAB. When it comes to the better half the constant bitching is not worth my time nor money. Just give her what she wants. You probably will live about 20 years longer IMO.

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
MOAB still has the stick shifter for the transfer case...the problem is her inability to use that lever. Yes, the vehicle doesn't need to be switched nearly as often with the Auto mode, but it's still a mind thing for her to use the shifter. It's a band aid fix and not a full solution.
Sponsored