2018 Transmission Whine

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
My '18 has had a whine for quite a while now, I think since I bought it. This is the auto 8 speed with 3.6. I only have 15k miles on it. The whine is directly related to acceleration and deceleration. If I "punch it" and really step on the gas I can definitely hear it more, but it is always there regardless. I have tested this on downhill stretches where I can put the transmission in neutral and coast and the sound completely disappears. I read on another thread of a a belt tensioner/pully causing this. Their symptoms sound exactly like mine, but my question is shouldn't it still "whine" in neutral when coasting? Trying to get some ideas before it goes to the dealer.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
My '18 has had a whine for quite a while now, I think since I bought it. This is the auto 8 speed with 3.6. I only have 15k miles on it. The whine is directly related to acceleration and deceleration. If I "punch it" and really step on the gas I can definitely hear it more, but it is always there regardless. I have tested this on downhill stretches where I can put the transmission in neutral and coast and the sound completely disappears. I read on another thread of a a belt tensioner/pully causing this. Their symptoms sound exactly like mine, but my question is shouldn't it still "whine" in neutral when coasting? Trying to get some ideas before it goes to the dealer.
What eventually happened with your diagnose?

OP
OP
Jeep’n Jay

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
What eventually happened with your diagnose?
Still there at 22k miles. It is only in 2nd and 5th gear. Not any worse. I changed the tensioner for the heck of it but didn’t make any difference. I actually had a brand new alternator given to me but haven’t installed it, I can’t imagine it is alternator whine where it is only in 2 gears. My plan is to drive it!
Sponsored