Sponsored

2018 JLUR performance mod consideration - feedback please

doubletap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
None of that stuff works on a JL right now. And when they do, none of it will improve the performance of your Wrangler in a true, measurable sense. The Wrangler's performance attributes are off-roading, not on-roading. So, if you want the best performance for it, buy it a quality lift kit, regear it, and slap on some big ass tires.

And please, for the love of everything sacred and holy in this world, don't put a CAI in your Wrangler. If you want to burn through a few hundred bucks, just take some cash out of your pocket and literally light it in fire. When people ask what you're doing, you can tell them you're using your CAI.
Truth.
Sponsored

Amric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 TJ Rubicon, 2018 JL Rubicon
A CAI would risk the Jeeps water fording capability, for an small and probably impercievable HP gain. Not worth it in my opinion. I agree with the posts about the supercharger being the best option for a noticeable HP increase without compromise to what the Jeep was designed for.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
A CAI would risk the Jeeps water fording capability, for an small and probably impercievable HP gain. Not worth it in my opinion.
Still, I bet at least one or two aftermarket outfits will design one that doesn't compromise the water-fording capability. Still not worth spending $300 or so for a noisier engine and single-digit horspower gain.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I put an axle-back Magnaflow on mine because I don't think you can lessen restriction by enough to feel it, and really, I just wanted to amplify the great sound of this engine. BOY does it sound GREAT!! I've never had more fun with a manual transmission. The 3.6/Aisin package is like a great movie, and now it has an Ocar-winning soundtrack!

5280Sapper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Veteran
There will be a lot of parts available once people confirm fitments.. the motor hasn't changed all the did was change the calibration "tune" for the new pertains and emissions constraints. if you off road a CAI isn't to smart.. you'll go mad cleaning the filter all the time. you can do a AEM dry flow drop in filter. they are extremely good and washable and flow a bit more then stock ones.

BBK has a larger throttle body and it will fit and likely doesn't require a tune. to get real "v8" power the motor needs to be opened up, some kind of forced induction along with real tuning. HP tuners and Diablo will likely have stuff released soon and that will be the solution for power hungry people!

http://www.bbkperformance.com/produ...-36l-pentastar-performance-throttle-body.html

Sponsored

Sftdyna0326$

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LR4
They do nothing except sound obnoxious. The 3.6 is optimized and short of putting forced induction on it, you are not going to improve it's performance, and in fact, like with aftermarket exhausts (which all have a negative impact on performance), you will likely have the opposite effect.
+1000

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
Smaller tires or deeper gears and keep the rpms above 3500. Outside of that you can look at superchargers and what not, and those are a lot of fun, but require quite a bit more modification than you likely want to get into. I found sprintex superchargers created power fairly evenly but there is no getting around the 3.6 being a high rev motor. If you want it to produce then drive it like you stole it even with a supercharger.
Someone else mentioned shedding weight, I guess the flip side to that is watching the weight you add. A 37” toyo mt on a 22” black rhino arsenal wheel is going to add 100ish pounds per rim/tire over stock, that’s 500 more pounds you are hauling around and trying stop at that point.

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
Optimized for what? I’d think every engine could benefit at least a little from a high flow intake and exhaust.
Think about this for a minute..... The only instance in which a reduction in intake restriction or an increase in flow makes a difference is when you are pulling a vacuum in the intake manifold at wide open throttle. If you can show you have enough restriction to cause a vacuum at WOT, then it might help. Otherwise it is just noise.....the sound of money being sucked out of your wallet.

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Please explain. Serious, no snark. I’m coming from the import world where a CAI has mixed results based on many factors. Sometimes a waste of money, sometimes useful depending on other modifications done to the power train, ECU, and exhaust. So why useless on the Jeep?
Or get a Volant with Donaldson Power Core filter, it wont add power but is much better on the filtration side due to their nanofiber tech. Used in mining industry and military.

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Snorkel is the answer: The bigger the better. Works as a CAI too. Mine flexes and bends so that I can feed it into the cabin as I run the AC. It also bends into a straight pipe that stands 15 feet above the hood line for ultra deep water fording capability.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The only reason I've ever considered CAI's on any vehicle is that sometimes they really clean up the engine bay and open up space - sometimes even for things like engine-driven Yorks, or sometimes it's just less junk to remove when servicing something else. But actual performance? Nah.

Needalife

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ, 2019 JLU Rubican
On my 06 TJ, I ran my air intake under my cowl. Did it help performance wise, I really can't say, but my butt and foot say yes. Plus it made room for me to add things under the hood (onboard air, electircal cluster for all my wiring and look clean).

If you are going CAI on a JL, just add a snorkel. Cooler air and the bends will not matter (people need to learn aero-dynamics), looks better and will help on that super rare water crossing.
Sponsored