2017 Wrangler Transmission Problem - no torque

Nors

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Big Bear
Hello everyone. I'm afraid my first post here will be about trouble, so I apologize in advance if this isn't appropriate but I do need the opinion of fellow Jeep owners.

I have a 2017 Wrangler Big Bear Edition, automatic transmission. A few days ago we were driving home through the neighborhood (35-40mph) when a loud metallic snap happened, followed by loss of torque. The engine revved when applying throttle, but no traction. Luckly I was able to coast towards a parking lot, where I observed the following:

• At normal D position, no torque to the wheels. The engine revs normally.
  • The Parking position doesn't hold the vehicle, and using the brakes or parking brake is necessary.
  • Engaging 4WD sends power to the wheels, making it possible to drive the Jeep (I limped 1/3 of a mile home); However, there is metal rattling/crushing inside the transmission case or whereabouts.
  • No visible damage underneath the vehicle, no leaks.
  • Maintenance was up to date.

I have to get it repaired, but not being entirely knowledgeable about Jeep mechanics and typical issues means I'm not informed enough to evaluate a proper diagnostic for repair. Any insight would be very appreciated!

Oh... the best part: I had received a letter from Jeep just 5 days before stating my warranty had expired. :angry:
Sponsored

RubiHOG

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2017 Harley Road Glide
Sounds more like your transfer case or rear driveshaft/diff. When you shifted to 4wd you were basically front wheel drive.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs