Sponsored

1up Bike Rack with Reverse Side Plate Option is Perfect for JL!

OP
OP
greenvillebigwheels

greenvillebigwheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder if the sports have the spare mounted lower because of the smaller tire, but actually I’m not sure the stock carrier is even adjustable that way.
Not sure, sport carrier may be lower, but also I when I say an inch clearance I mean with the rack down but not all the way down. I just know when I measured with the standard option I had a couple inches of interference even with the rack all the way down. Plus I knew I was buying some 265/70/17s, which are already on the jeep, so I knew I would lose another inch.
Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Not sure, sport carrier may be lower, but also I when I say an inch clearance I mean with the rack down but not all the way down. I just know when I measured with the standard option I had a couple inches of interference even with the rack all the way down. Plus I knew I was buying some 265/70/17s, which are already on the jeep, so I knew I would lose another inch.
Ah, you’re going off measurements? It’s possible they’re incorrect somehow. Come on down to Georgia, you can test fit.

DanNH

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
No, you won't. That was a part of the reason I bought this rack. You will have to fold it down to access the cargo area, but that's pretty typical.
Hi Dan thanks for the good information. Which Jeep do you have? Folding it down to open the tailgate is not a problem. Does it clear the rear spare tire when you fold all the way up? Thanks again

DanNH

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is all assuming a factory height hitch and no adaptor. I hated the idea of an adapter. One more lock and thing to rattle (the 1up rack tightens to the hitch so zero rattle)
Yes I have the factory trailer tow package, and the factory hitch without an adapter. And my Rubicon is the factory stock height, no lift, and has the factory rear tire mount

DanNH

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope. Works perfectly with the stock rubicon stuff.
3ADA19B3-E088-4F3D-847E-B8C213A7A4D9.jpeg
840DBDB7-C8C3-418E-A833-9914875A0C77.jpeg
6E0A1D6E-639F-4DAE-902E-F6694E34CDBE.jpeg
A0869C7A-E079-48FC-A074-9B3D6494F4AB.jpeg

I did also order a kuat hi-lo adapter for when I swap wheels/tires. But it’s not needed now.
Thanks. Look great! Did you need to buy the reverse adapter mount from 1up? Or is yours the standard 1up configuration?

Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Thanks. Look great! Did you need to buy the reverse adapter mount from 1up? Or is yours the standard 1up configuration?
Just standard. I wanted to install it first to see if they were needed.

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
Hi Dan thanks for the good information. Which Jeep do you have? Folding it down to open the tailgate is not a problem. Does it clear the rear spare tire when you fold all the way up? Thanks again
I have a Sahara. No issues when I had stock bumper and hitch. I noticed one of the pictures above, he has the tongue buried in the hitch. It doesn't need to go in that far and would give him plenty of room to fold the rack up when he's not carrying bikes.

DanNH

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a Sahara. No issues when I had stock bumper and hitch. I noticed one of the pictures above, he has the tongue buried in the hitch. It doesn't need to go in that far and would give him plenty of room to fold the rack up when he's not carrying bikes.
Great thanks!

Jeepr

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 2dr Rubicon
You’re saying yours doesn’t fit? With a sport? That’s really odd.
I did take their drawings and model it in 3D and mounted it to a 3d model of a Jeep before I ordered to make sure I wouldn’t need the reverse plates. But I’m a little crazy.
Did you say you have a 3d model of a JL? I have been looking for one if you wanted to share.

Sponsored

kaz

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I'm coming late to this conversation, but do really appreciate the information that everyone has shared on this topic. There's one point I'm a little unclear on, that I'm guessing someone knows the answer to.

For those who have
> a factory *Mopar* hitch, and
> a 1up rack with or without reverse side plate, and
> a JL/JLU with Sport trim, or some variation thereof, and
> stock wheels and tires:

Do you need a hitch extender or any other adaptors with the 1up rack?

I ask because OP (@greenvillebigwheels) indicated he has a *Curt* hitch that is longer than the factory Mopar hitch. And @DanNH has a Rubicon, which I suspect has different spare tire mount dimensions. And I'm curious to learn if anyone out there with a Sport (Sport S) with all stock options, including the hitch, was able to use the 1up without additional adaptors?

OP
OP
greenvillebigwheels

greenvillebigwheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I'm coming late to this conversation, but do really appreciate the information that everyone has shared on this topic. There's one point I'm a little unclear on, that I'm guessing someone knows the answer to.

For those who have

I ask because OP (@greenvillebigwheels) indicated he has a *Curt* hitch that is longer than the factory Mopar hitch. And @DanNH has a Rubicon, which I suspect has different spare tire mount dimensions. And I'm curious to learn if anyone out there with a Sport (Sport S) with all stock options, including the hitch, was able to use the 1up without additional adaptors?
I wouldnt trust what others say here, dont get me wrong, I am sure everyone has best intentions, theres just a lot of variables. Rock Hard 4x4 said they were sure my spare would fit without a relo bracket with their aluminum rear bumper, but after measuring it wasnt even close. 1up will give you very detailed dimensioned pictures of both configs so you can measure and see what fits best.

thx138

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU '17 GTI
Occupation
IT

For those who have

I have the stock hitch, normal plates on my 1up and needed a extension to clear the spare.

Reactions: kaz

kaz

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I wouldnt trust what others say here, dont get me wrong, I am sure everyone has best intentions, theres just a lot of variables. Rock Hard 4x4 said they were sure my spare would fit without a relo bracket with their aluminum rear bumper, but after measuring it wasnt even close. 1up will give you very detailed dimensioned pictures of both configs so you can measure and see what fits best.
My measurement from bottom of the rear spare tire to the top of the hitch is 4 1/8" (inner receiver dimension). I also measure 7 1/4" from the hitch to the outer surface of the rear wheel. That doesn't include the back-up camera, but I don't think that's a problem because of its height.

Below, and attached, are the dimensions that 1up staff provided on the reverse side plate. (I thought others may find them useful.)

I think the rack will clear the rear tire when it's in the flat or "ride" position (with bikes loaded), with the reverse side plate and no extension. While not in the diagram, 1up staff indicated that the distance from the hitch to the middle of the closest bike platform in the flat position is about 11 inches -- which is sufficiently greater than my measurement of 7 1/4".

In the up or storage position, the diagram below shows 3.77" from the top of the receiver (outside dimension, which could vary by hitch because of the lip). Or in the .pdf file I attached, they show 4.1" from the inside of the receiver to the top of the first bike platform. This is less than than my measurement (4 1/8" or 4.125"), but not by much.

Should the rack clear the spare tire in the up position, without a hitch extender, my sense is that it will be very close.

For me the major appeal to this setup is skipping the extenders, drop receivers, and so on.

Jeep Wrangler JL 1up Bike Rack with Reverse Side Plate Option is Perfect for JL! 1up-reverse side plate

Jeep Wrangler JL 1up Bike Rack with Reverse Side Plate Option is Perfect for JL! 1616088134330
Sponsored

Attachments