Damon's white JLU Rubicon build

dbungard

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Traded in my '08 JKU Rubicon on a 2018 and as hard as that was, so far very pleased. Jeep did a good job of tweaking things to fix problems on the JK's and listened to what consumers were doing. Here's some initial pics that day we brought it home.

White JKU Rubicon
Tan Leather
Factory Steel Bumpers
8.4" Nav
Hard Top
New_hood.jpg
new_ledfender.jpg
New_quarterview.jpg
new_sideview.jpg
New_taninterior.jpg
new_tanseatback.jpg
New_tires.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
dbungard

dbungard

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
One problem Wranglers always have that wasn't addressed, especially for those of us living on gravel roads are the exposed door hinges. They get chewed up by flying rocks. So while brand new I Plasti-dipped them on the doors, the hood, and made a bug deflector on the front edge of the hood.
Plasti_after.jpg
plasti_door_hinge.jpg
Plasti_hinges.jpg
plasti_hood_deflector.jpg
Plasti_hood_deflector2.jpg
plasti_maskedhinges.jpg

OP
OP
dbungard

dbungard

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Next step was adding a trailer hitch. I didn't the trailering option, probably should have. I mainly use it for hitch carriers like a Pakmule or bike racks, so don't need power right now. The Quadratec JK hitch bolted right on. Ironically it doesn't fit the JK 10th Anniversary/Hard Rock bumpers, but does the JLU factory steel. The key thing is finding a hitch with the nuts for the 4 bolts welded to it. Look under your JL to see what's there first. In mine, it was two bolts holding a spacer plate. Remove the 2 bolts and spacer plate, press the hitch onto the frame, and reinstall the 4 bolts that came with it. Very easy. I will wire a 4-pin trailer connector once one becomes available.
JL_hitch.jpg

https://www.quadratec.com/products/12015_1000_07.htm

Sponsored

OP
OP
dbungard

dbungard

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
last mod for now was installing the Mopar JL Roof Rack. Another very easy install and they did a good job padding the tower's mating surfaces and widening them to spread the load out on the hard top rain gutters. I will eventually add a Yakima Offgrid basket once they are available later this Spring, or the Mopar cargo basket.
Mopar_rack_after.jpg

Mopar_rack.jpg
Mopar_racktop.jpg
Mopar_racktower.jpg

RadicalMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JKUR 2018 JLU Sahara
Wow those all look great. I like how they are not over the top and it looks so clean. How hard was it plasti dipping the accents? How many layers?
Is it hard to remove plastic dip?

OP
OP
dbungard

dbungard

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
That's it for now. This is our family vehicle but will also see overloading trail use. On the interior we've added an EZYDOG Drive rear seat cover, some MOLLE bags on the back of the seat, and the all important child seat base :)

OP
OP
dbungard

dbungard

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Wow those all look great. I like how they are not over the top and it looks so clean. How hard was it plasti dipping the accents? How many layers?
Is it hard to remove plastic dip?
This was my first time trying Plasti-Dip and it wasn't that hard. Just take time to mask well. But alcohol and a burnishing cloth removes overspray easily. To get good parting lines I use a sharp knife to run a slight scoring line against the edge of the masking tape and demasked while the last layer was still slightly tacky. I only used 3 heavy coats, but I hear more makes removing it easier down the road if/when I ever want to. It's pretty easy to peel off a clean starting surface.

Tom k

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep cj5, Jeep Jl Rubicon
Traded in my '08 JKU Rubicon on a 2018 and as hard as that was, so far very pleased. Jeep did a good job of tweaking things to fix problems on the JK's and listened to what consumers were doing. Here's some initial pics that day we brought it home.

White JKU Rubicon
Tan Leather
Factory Steel Bumpers
8.4" Nav
Hard Top
New_hood.jpg
new_ledfender.jpg
New_quarterview.jpg
new_sideview.jpg
New_taninterior.jpg
new_tanseatback.jpg
New_tires.jpg
Nice!

Sponsored

OP
OP
dbungard

dbungard

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Added Mopar Premium Rock Rails. I was going to add something anyways as a better step for wife and kid and better access to roof top storage. The premium rails add about 4" of a step, are bedlined from Mopar, and a straight swap for factory rails. After the first trail ride hoping they also help protect the sides of the vehicle from rocks and mud. Wives don't seem to like grabbing door handles covered in mud.

And if anybody is in TN and looking to buy OEM rubicon rock rails, I have a set

Mopar_premium_rails_side.jpg

rail_step.jpg

rails2.jpg

OP
OP
dbungard

dbungard

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
When I had my JKU I made this custom tailgate table from Starboard marine board. Basically HDPE plastic board, and a stainless piano hinge and hardware from Lowes and some paracord. Just have to drill a few small holes in the plastic tailgate cover to feed the paracord through to secure it to features on the metal behind it. About $35 in parts. I use it for cutting, cooking with an MSR backpacking stove, etc. I put extra loops of in the paracord supports and ends so I can hang utensils and garbage bags and such. I also embedded some magnets into the face of the board when opened to hold knife blades in place and keep from sliding around or off.

It folds up and secured with a cinch-lock through the middle hole I have drilled in the board, or backup security from the Nite-Ize adjustable bungee that goes to loops tied into the paracord supports.

I also think its great that Jeep designed in a flat cup rest on the new JLU tailgates on the top right.

Table_closed 2.jpg

Table_closed.jpg

Table_open.jpg

Table_open2.jpg