TFLnow - New Video

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I ignore payload for the most part. I usually end up modifying quickly and then I figure I become my own warranty center anyway (unless it is obvious the mod had nothing to do with the failure of course). Having said that, I do think it's kinda silly they didn't make a few changes so the payload could be increased, but it is what it is.

Good question though.

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
If they reevaluated and engineered parts to carry the extra weight of the engine it seems a bit silly for the capacity to have not been considered and increased as well.

I'm sure there will be aftermarket options to make up for it, and then some, for the bulky overlanders.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I never heard but I guess from the sounds of it TFL'sJL Rubicon 2.0L must have wound up a buy back. Or at least they unloaded it. I was excited to see what they'd do with it. Oh well.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Sounds like the payload issue isn’t as significant as the sill sticker would suggest based on their scale weight. Either way, anyone heavily modifying and/or moving >3 adults+gear and/or towing near the limit will surpass even a 1000lb payload with ease. So long as you’re nice to your drivetrain while loaded and maintain a reasonably clean appearance with the mods, it’s unlikely exceeding the payload capacity will ever result in any significant negative repercussions.

Gringostarr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S Diesel Ocean Blue
Occupation
Architect
All the JL's have really shitty payload specs (iirc around 1300lbs max) but since the engine torque obviously isn't the issue here I wonder if it's the suspension, engine cooling, or breaking that's the limiting factor for payload across the entire platform.

JRMedic19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '14 Toyo Highlander, '19 Toyo Camry
Occupation
Wang-Jangler
Vehicle Showcase
All the JL's have really shitty payload specs (iirc around 1300lbs max) but since the engine torque obviously isn't the issue here I wonder if it's the suspension, engine cooling, or breaking that's the limiting factor for payload across the entire platform.
I did a lot of researching on this topic and found some profoundly informative articles, forum discussions, and engineering schematics.

It would take me a while to compile the sources of the information but allow me to summarize what i learned. The tow capacity has been limited by FCA for legitimate reasons. The major causes of it's payload limitation are primarily due to engine cooling, wheel base, and the forced compromises made between load bearing capabilities and off-road capabilities as they pertain to price points. I personally came to the conclusion that it is disappointing how little the rig can tow/carry. BUT, i understand the compromises that were made and am satisfied with their decision.

A small solution is using a weight distribution hitch to help with the wheelbase issue causing instability, and replacing the front grille inserts with the gladiator inserts (if that's possible) to help with the cooling issue. These changes don't legally increase the tow rating or payload ratings of the JLU ecodiesel. In theory, this should improve the stability and safety of the rig so that people who are going to tow above it's legal capabilities anyway can take steps to slightly mitigate safety concerns. However, If you kill someone by plowing through a tree or another car and it's discovered you were overweight, good luck defending yourself in civil court.

Words of caution; I may be completely wrong and entirely full of horse manure. You decide.

jalbrecht55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR
Does anyone have any further insight on this discrepancy between GVWR, payload and curb weight?

As another example my JGC scales at right about 5050lb empty with a full tank of gas (and has a similar listed weight by FCA and on the registration). I don’t have the front/rear split memorized but it wasn’t too far off from 50/50. The GVWR on the door jamb is 6800, payload on the doorjam is 1050lb.

Seems to me as long as the GVW is under 6800 and axle weights are below 3200fr/3700rr as listed on the tag you’d be good, but that would equate to a payload of as much as 1750.

JRMedic19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '14 Toyo Highlander, '19 Toyo Camry
Occupation
Wang-Jangler
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have any further insight on this discrepancy between GVWR, payload and curb weight?

As another example my JGC scales at right about 5050lb empty with a full tank of gas (and has a similar listed weight by FCA and on the registration). I don’t have the front/rear split memorized but it wasn’t too far off from 50/50. The GVWR on the door jamb is 6800, payload on the doorjam is 1050lb.

Seems to me as long as the GVW is under 6800 and axle weights are below 3200fr/3700rr as listed on the tag you’d be good, but that would equate to a payload of as much as 1750.
You pretty much said it. This is further broken down by axle maximum and even more so by individual tire load maximums as well. then there is tow capacity and payload.

Watch this.

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting... the 2.2 gets a larger tow capacity.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase