Sponsored

Optional location for Tazer front camera

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I bought the Tazer front camera, terrific product, but I have large driving lights on my bumper and the grille location is totally blocked for a forward view. I cut a hole in my front skid and jbwelded it in place. It's a pretty handy location, gives a good ground-level view of what's coming up, easier to gauge the elevation of obstacles as opposed to a more top-down normal view. I have bashed in my skid plate a bit already but might not happen as often with this view at my disposal.

I wouldn't mind an additional camera behind my axle to show tire placement. Anyone have any experience using remote video feed switchers? I could splice the coax cables and run them through a DPDT relay but I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about what that would do to my video quality...

2019-11-30 16.15.28.jpg
2019-11-30 16.15.22.jpg
Sponsored

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
ZAutomotive has a cable for the 8.4" Uconnect that adds 2 video inputs. I plan on using one for my birds eye view camera setup, and the other for my low / undercarriage camera.

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/av-cables/

I have sent a message to see if this will work on the JL version of the 8.4 screen. The pins appear to be the same.

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
ZAutomotive has a cable for the 8.4" Uconnect that adds 2 video inputs. I plan on using one for my birds eye view camera setup, and the other for my low / undercarriage camera.

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/av-cables/

I have sent a message to see if this will work on the JL version of the 8.4 screen. The pins appear to be the same.
Doesn't show JL compatible, but would be cool if it was.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The instruction sheet is the one for the single video input. The dual + audio uses additional ports.

I am not sure if the tazer jl will enable the 2nd input and the additional audio.

I have compared the ram tazer instructions vs the JL and there is a difference for video selections, so there may be a software difference with the JL 8.4 uconnect.

Hopefully zautomotive will reply to my inquiry soon.

Sponsored

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just heard back from Zautomotive. The JL will only accept a single additional input.

So now the search is on for a good switching device. I will post back once I find a solution.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Redbaron73 where would you install the bird eye camera?
I have two potential locations identified. My goal is to have a system that is near oem look, and works with doors on or off. I also want it to work with any top.

The ideal location, and the one I am focused on now is beneath my cowl lights. The location is ideal as it already extends over the fender, and the wires are easily hidden.

I am using the GoRhino mount brackets, and 3D printing an adapter for the camera to go below the square flood light that will be on outermost sides.

This, IMHO, is the ideal location.

Secondary would be to modify the "Trail Rated" badge to put a camera there. This would involve a 3D printed adapter, the same diameter of the trail badge, and extending 18mm out, allowing a camera to peer downward at an angle.

The same would be done opposite on the antenna.

I think this would look ugly compared to Plan A, so I have continued to focus my design energy on the cowl location.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have created a harness that allows me to split the signal from the rear camera.

This will allow the rear camera to be dedicated to OEM function as well as the 360 function.

I am considering running the input to the Uconnect from the output of my 360 dvr, and then using the 2nd video input for a PTZ. Just need to determine the ideal PTZ location.

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have created a harness that allows me to split the signal from the rear camera.

This will allow the rear camera to be dedicated to OEM function as well as the 360 function.

I am considering running the input to the Uconnect from the output of my 360 dvr, and then using the 2nd video input for a PTZ. Just need to determine the ideal PTZ location.
How are you maintaining the HD quality of the backup camera? I looked at switchers like these but I'm concerned about killing the rear video resolution

https://www.newegg.com/c2g-28750-s-video-composite-a-v-switchers/p/N82E16815196042

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KXVBB3Q/ref=psdc_172546_t1_B0014XXHRK

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is not true HD. It is an lvds cable.

I am still "tinkering" and have not gone fully operational. The idea is to split the signal rather than switch.

My dvr takes 4 lvds inputs from the various cameras. It has an analog output.

Plan A: use the rear camera as an input to the DVR, and the output from dvr as the input to rear camera. Leaves video 2 available for ptz, roku, etc. Factory backup function is now the display from DVR, which will signal to full screen rear when backing up.

Plan B: split the rear camera, using as input to DVR and original input to uconnect radio. Retains factory original purpose. DVR output goes to video 2.

If plan B is the route I go, then a video switch is required for PTZ, roku, etc

I am hoping plan A works
Sponsored