Sponsored

Source: $2500 Base Price Increase for JL Wrangler

jxr006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of BMW's + Jeep
A list of some of the upgrades (including the cam , mirrors, and airbags amounting to less than $50 each);
2 of 3 new transmission (not including the diesel)
2 of 3 new engines (ditto)
Refreshed New Axles across the board.
Updated suspension components across the board
New upgraded battery , alternator, starter, etc for ESS (BOooo !) BSG (Yeah!)
New Electro-Hydraulic telescoping steering (on base or just upper trim?)
If the inside the plant spy photo is correct, then Heat Extractor Hood on base Sport
New Uconnect unit for even base model for rear cam.
More Easter eggs... well there's gotta be, right?
geez.. the way you said that... this car is going to be a full disaster. nothing is going to work right.
Sponsored

jxr006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of BMW's + Jeep
there's a lot to like , on paper, for the JL. BUT, there's a lot to like about my tried-and true JK.
I wish jeep did a better job letting you order the SUV's. I mean, i want a sport, but i want 4.88 gears from the manufacturer and axle upgrades with a 4" lift. i can take care of everything else.

they need to create a fair price ordering venue, so we don't have to deal with the annoying dealers.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
geez.. the way you said that... this car is going to be a full disaster. nothing is going to work right.
No more less so than any other refresh/redesign before launch, be it the F-150 or the Taco or the Canyon/Colorado or whatever.

I wish jeep did a better job letting you order the SUV's. I mean, i want a sport, but i want 4.88 gears from the manufacturer and axle upgrades with a 4" lift. i can take care of everything else.
They don't carry 4.88 gears and lifts at the factory, they are after-market even if that's Mopar.
Not enough of them even if they were offered to be worthwhile doing it at the factory, to some 4.88 might be too small and 4" to big, too much variation. Even 3 axle ratios may turn into 2 with the new ZF8 better first gear and spread.
If you want you can always have it added as part of your delear agreement, but considering your second comment, it doesn't sound like you have that type of relationship.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line

they need to create a fair price ordering venue, so we don't have to deal with the annoying dealers.
Jeep won't ever offer factory 4" lifts due to liability and rollover standards set by the government. 4.88 gears would kill the company's average fuel economy.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Jeep won't ever offer factory 4" lifts due to liability and rollover standards set by the government. 4.88 gears would kill the company's average fuel economy.
Agreed on the gears and liability, disagree on the rollover standards -- if that was the case the Mercedes G Wagon 4x4^2 would not be for sale. The newer G wagons have improved a lot but the older ones were pretty scary. On top of that, just because a vehicle is lifted, doesn't immediately imply it will fail to meet standards for rollovers.

There's just no reason for Chrysler to do it -- part of the appeal to the Jeep is modifications. If there's not much left to do (or too much available) from the factory, it would actually hurt the brand.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Jeep, Wrangler to be specific, is the last playground for DIYers, those with imagination and skill to "make it their own".
The only other vehicle was the old VW Bug - anyone remember the body kits, everything from Rolls Royce , Bugatti, Dune Buggies.
Plus, performance mods.
There's a powerful market for this craving , you have the true Originals, and those who "share" in that image and lifestyle by buying the brand. Works across every age group, social strata, income level. Jeep brand has been "that" craving since the Beginning, 1941.

Superwinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon, Yamaha Raptor 660
The just announced upgraded new axles make the price increase more palatable.

JeepDrvr2018

First Name
Montgomery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Retired Master Certified RV Tech
All - As you most likely know, the manual transmission is zero charge, it's the base. Only upgrading to an automatic transmission is $$$$. Now lots of you young folks don't know how to even drive a manual, that is ok. But, for real fun a manual is the only way to go, first you get more RPM control over the engine, more low end power going up and better braking down especially in 4L. The automatic IMHO takes all the fun out of driving. The downside is of course lots of slow moving traffic, but I don't use my Jeep for a daily driver anyway, in fact I don't do daily driving, since I am retired. I can then choose the time I drive into any large city, not going when traffic is high. The other advantage is better mileage and it's safer to tow behind a motorhome if you have one. No one has mentioned that feature in the new automatics, but many and I mean many jeep sales are to folks who RV, and tow it behind a motorhome. Jeep Wrangler is one of the few vehicles which can presently be towed 4 wheels down. For us RV'ers that is a huge deal. And as a final thought, if the manual is not available in any configuration, I will keep my Sahara and not buy a new one. The backup camera is a nice option and that would also be a deal killer, these vehicles are hard to back up when you cannot see directly behind the vehicle.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The other advantage is better mileage and it's safer to tow behind a motorhome if you have one. No one has mentioned that feature in the new automatics,
Huh?

The 8-speed automatics gets better mileage, and you’ve always been able to flat tow a Wrangler automatic just like the manual since the transfer case has a neutral.

And backup camera is a non-issue in the JL as stated many times before.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The just announced upgraded new axles make the price increase more palatable.
In the CJ days, they said 15% of owners never went off road. Today, that number is probably less. So there are maybe 90% or more of Jeep buyers who will not need upgraded axles, yet everybody who buys one will have to pay for them. That sucks.

Yes, there are other upgrades too like safety enhancements, interior features, etc. that cause the base price to rise. But the problem with all of it is that not everybody WANTS all that stuff. Some guys would still like an affordable Wrangler...but those days are now long gone.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the CJ days, they said 15% of owners never went off road. Today, that number is probably less. So there are maybe 90% or more of Jeep buyers who will not need upgraded axles, yet everybody who buys one will have to pay for them. That sucks.
A major part of the AdvanTek axle update is also fuel efficiency improvements, and also Noise, Vibration and Harshness reduction, and those benefit everyone.

We don’t know real world axle reliability yet, but suposedly that’s designed to be improved as well, and benefits everyone too.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

Yes, there are other upgrades too like safety enhancements, interior features, etc. that cause the base price to rise. But the problem with all of it is that not everybody WANTS all that stuff. Some guys would still like an affordable Wrangler...but those days are now long gone.
I suppose affordability is subjective, but it def. has gone up faster than inflation over the years (by >~$5000 since '97 MY -- then again, the civic has gone up faster than inflation too). A lot of it is probably due to government mandated safety requirements though.

$27,500 for a base Wrangler does seem pretty expensive. Also feels weird to have a backup camera but manual windows/locks lol.

Last edited:

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I suppose affordability is subjective, but it def. has gone up faster than inflation over the years (by >~$5000 since '97 MY -- then again, the civic has gone up faster than inflation too). A lot of it is probably due to government mandated safety requirements though.

$27,500 for a base Wrangler does seem pretty expensive. Also feels weird to have a backup camera but manual windows/locks lol.
But as you said, government mandates, and the camera is a new one.

Jabs

First Name
Jabs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Jeep site is showing 2018 Wrangler Unlimited now starts at $30,445! This looks like it’s going to be the JLU base pricing.

The 2018 JKU is still showing the $27,895 pricing.

7169AFD5-8E83-4D3F-8D1B-09CD8A5F1B7B.jpeg

60D02E1F-3925-4E72-862D-7E4461324738.jpeg
Sponsored