Sponsored

Front Runner Wolf Pack Storage / Steel Latch Mod

mortimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've been using Front Runner Wolf Pack storage boxes for my gear and wanted to share the setup and a small mod.

The setup:

The Outdoor Products Duffel Bag, WaterBricks, a mini Skottle and ArcEnCiel sling bags go in first.
20190602_212353857_iOS.jpg

The plastic latches that come with the Wolf Pack boxes break with regular use, so I bought the steel latches. The steel latches are prone to falling out (and a PITA to find in the woods), so I picked up some aluminum rod, cut it to lengths long enough to fit in the latch holes but not fall out. Works exactly as I expected.
20181201_163847130_iOS.jpg
20181201_164258800_iOS.jpg

Harbor Freight blanket sits on top of the sling bags and then two Wolf Pack boxes with the standard height lids fit snugly side-by-side lengthwise:
20190602_212530739_iOS.jpg

Two more Wolf Pack boxes with the Hi-Lids cap things off:
20190608_143919906_iOS.jpg

My Wolf Pack box setup:
  • Dry Food - Pasta, rice, canned foods, etc. with a standard lid (bottom)
  • Recovery Gear - Strap, shackles, Viaire 300P compressor in an ammo can, hatchet, camp shovel, tarp, gloves, etc. with a standard lid (bottom)
  • Camping Gear - Sleeping bag, camping pillows, camping towels, hammock, lantern, window screens, etc with a Hi-Lid (top)
  • Kitchen Gear - Stoves, propane, camp fire grill, canteen kits, utensil kit, collapsible bucket, spices, soap, trash bags, wet wipes, etc. with a Hi-Lid (top)
Sponsored

Last edited:

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ‘90 YJ, '22 4Runner
I've been using Front Runner Wolf Pack storage boxes for my gear and wanted to share the setup and a small mod.

The setup:

The Outdoor Products Duffel Bag, WaterBricks, a mini Skottle and ArcEnCiel sling bags go in first.
20190602_212353857_iOS.jpg

The plastic latches that come with the Wolf Pack boxes break with regular use, so I bought the steel latches. The steel latches are prone to falling out (and a PITA to find in the woods), so I picked up some aluminum rod, cut it to lengths long enough to fit in the latch holes but not fall out. Works exactly as I expected.
20181201_163847130_iOS.jpg
20181201_164258800_iOS.jpg

Harbor Freight blanket sits on top of the sling bags and then two Wolf Pack boxes with the standard height lids fit snugly side-by-side lengthwise:
20190602_212530739_iOS.jpg

Two more Wolf Pack boxes with the Hi-Lids cap things off:
20190608_143919906_iOS.jpg

My Wolf Pack box setup:
  • Dry Food - Pasta, rice, canned foods, etc. with a standard lid (bottom)
  • Recovery Gear - Strap, shackles, Viaire 300P compressor in an ammo can, hatchet, camp shovel, tarp, gloves, etc. with a standard lid (bottom)
  • Camping Gear - Sleeping bag, camping pillows, camping towels, hammock, lantern, window screens, etc with a Hi-Lid (top)
  • Kitchen Gear - Stoves, propane, camp fire grill, canteen kits, utensil kit, collapsible bucket, spices, soap, trash bags, wet wipes, etc. with a Hi-Lid (top)
Would four of the Wolf Packs fit if stacked 2+2, but all on the passenger side still leaving room to close the tailgate? I had planned to buy four of these today, but felt it would be too close to call and didn't have my Jeep with me to test fit. I'm guessing they end up being about two inches too big, maybe a bit more with the tall lids. Four of these on the passenger side with my fridge on the driver side would sure help my organization if it was doable.

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
Would four of the Wolf Packs fit if stacked 2+2, but all on the passenger side still leaving room to close the tailgate? I had planned to buy four of these today, but felt it would be too close to call and didn't have my Jeep with me to test fit. I'm guessing they end up being about two inches too big, maybe a bit more with the tall lids. Four of these on the passenger side with my fridge on the driver side would sure help my organization if it was doable.
Are you talking about with the rear seat down?

I have 3 wolf packs stacked 3 high, turned sideways next to my fridge. It fits like a glove with less than an inch of play. I can use either the tall lid or short. I think I still want to possibly put a shelf above the fridge for the boxes or to add more :)

8B83276C-9BF2-4331-BB4D-7EDBFF226CE0.jpeg

Sponsored

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Nice set up.

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ‘90 YJ, '22 4Runner
Are you talking about with the rear seat down?

I have 3 wolf packs stacked 3 high, turned sideways next to my fridge. It fits like a glove with less than an inch of play. I can use either the tall lid or short. I think I still want to possibly put a shelf above the fridge for the boxes or to add more :)

8B83276C-9BF2-4331-BB4D-7EDBFF226CE0.jpeg
Thank you for the photo of your nice setup. I was thinking with the seats up just like you have it, and after seeing yours, I am liking this idea of three of them stacked just like that. The two bins I'm using now have worked fine, but by the time I add in my stove and my kitchen bin (not shown in my pictures), I'm less organized than I would like. Time for me to shed a few items from my current bins and run with a cleaner set-up.

IMG-4187.jpg

IMG-4264.jpg

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
Thank you for the photo of your nice setup. I was thinking with the seats up just like you have it, and after seeing yours, I am liking this idea of three of them stacked just like that. The two bins I'm using now have worked fine, but by the time I add in my stove and my kitchen bin (not shown in my pictures), I'm less organized than I would like. Time for me to shed a few items from my current bins and run with a cleaner set-up.

IMG-4187.jpg

IMG-4264.jpg
That looks good!

I had to shift my fridge right because of the size and to accommodate the stove. I wish I could tuck it over to the left. I am headed out again this weekend so I tend to constantly keep changing up things. It is never perfect.
Sponsored