Pulled over for no doors

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
First things first. For all of you who keep saying "selective enforcement" is bad. Remember the alternative is strict enforcement. If it's illegal, it's a ticket every time, for everyone, no discretion.
So everyone who drivers 5-10 over the limit because it doesn't get enforced, and is socially acceptable, would get tickets. You have a headlight that just burned out 30 seconds ago and you pass a cop? Ticket, because the officer being allowed to decide what minor infractions to enforce is apparently bad.
Is that really the world you want to live in? I sure don't. So instead of saying the cop that enforces some random law is a jerk, how about being glad all the others you've passed over the years didn't take enforcement.

Identify me as who? Did the suspect drop his ID? ;)
Maybe, maybe not, but your id identifies you as you. Maybe the suspect's name is known by some other means. Since you claim to look similar to many others in your area, isn't also possible the suspect looks like you/them too? Identifying yourself would be a way for them to determine you're not him.

Him: I pulled you ov, PUT YOUR HANDS ON THE STEERING WHEEL!....I pulled you over because you were swerving on the road. Have you been drinking?

Me: No sir

Him: Why were you swerving?

Me: Because you were tailgating me with your high beams on and I was letting you pass, but I wasnt trying to swerve, just move over some

Totally dismisses my answer...

Him: Do you have any weapons, knives, explosives in the car?

Me: No

Him: Alright, just stay on the road and drive safer
Dismisses your answer? Based on what you posted it sounds like they completely accepted your answer. You gave a good reason for why you "swerved", and they accepted that you were moving over, not swerving. They respond by saying okay and leaving, how is that dismissing your answer?

Strange law 2: Virginian motorists must honk their horns if they are attempting to pass another vehicle.

Im betting no cop in your state enforces the above law. In fact, I know they dont becuase ive driven through and around Virginia many times and passed many cars on the street and highway and no cop has enforced it.
Ohio had a similar law. It has since been repealed because nobody did it, and it went primarily unenforced. Outdated laws can be changed, it just takes effort to make it happen.

Some people are always looking for someone else to blame when they do something wrong.

I've been pulled over plenty of times in my life and gotten tickets. Speeding, tint on the windows, lift too tall, and and countless other things. Did I blame the officer that pulled me over, of course not.
I got a tint ticket years ago (I had 35% everywhere but the windshield and 50% is the limit on the front windows in Ohio). I'd seen much darker tint on cars so I was a bit mad that I got a ticket, but at the end of the day I knew I was wrong.
It wasn't the officer's fault that I broke the law, it was mine. Just because other people were doing the same illegal thing didn't make my tint any more legal either.
When your wrong and you get caught, be an adult and accept your punishment. It's okay to be angry, or frustrated by it, but don't blame someone else. You did it, it's not their fault for catching and/or punishing you for what you did.

..... In other words if the law comes knocking down your door for no reason, youre just cool with it......
I don't think anyone would be okay that they had "no reason", and I don't think anyone here is trying to imply that. There's a big difference between no reason and a reason you don't agree with. The door requirement law is on the books in PA, and therefore the officer had a valid and legal reason to make the stop. No reason would be if the officer stopped the OP just because they didn't like Ocean Blue (or whatever color their Jeep is). Big difference.

Actually, my friend got a warning for 3 mph over on a ramp once:like:... I think the highway patrol dude was just suffering from low blood sugar:giggle:
Must be time for a doughnut break. :blush:

I never found a reason to take off the doors. Why do it? Open the window, or just take the top off.
I haven't taken my doors off, but I can certainly see the appeal. More air flow, similar to the bike, but with a lot less risk. The only reason I haven't taken my doors off is because I wouldn't have them off long, and don't want to put forth the effort for a short drive.

.....Personally I think having door off laws should only apply to 4 door jeeps since they look ugly without them vs a 2 door.....
Yeah the 2 door definitely wears it better. I noticed the same thing, though I don't know if I'd go as far as to call it "ugly". Just not as good looking. I'd hate to body shame the 4 door and offend anyone. :LOL:
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Personally I think having door off laws should only apply to 4 door jeeps since they look ugly without them vs a 2 door ;) I dont think I will ever take my 4 doors off and if I do I dont blame a cop for a ticket. lol
:CWL: Reminds me of a roller coaster cart.

upload_2019-7-31_13-20-3.jpeg

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
I'm 8th generation New Englander and a Native Massachusetts born resident ..

I fled that nanny state as fast as I could. Between restrictions, taxes etc it's turning into NYC east.

Cradle of liberty my ass ...

I moved to NH 27 years ago

No Income tax
No Sales Tax
No Seatbelt law
No Helmet law
No Mandatory car insurance
No mandatory Health insurance
No LTC needed to conceal carry

Everything listed is in effect in Massachusetts.... there's a reason they call it the "commonwealth"
It's not Massachusetts, it's Taxachusetts. I'm worried about Texas becoming Taxus because of the influx of people coming from high Tax places like California, Illinois, NY, and other places.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Says the "Dalton Gang" lolol

I dont think the people here are anti-police. I suppose youre totally cool with everything the last 5 Presidents have said and done? No complaints at all?

As I stated before, I workout every day with 2-3 cops. When I was building my jeep I asked them for advice. Is this cool? Is this not cool? (legally).

They would tell me.... "if a cop pulls you over for that, hes a dick"
"yea, if he pulls you over for that, hes just being a jackass"
"yea, honestly, nobody is going to pull you over for that, if they do, they just have nothing better to do and want to write a ticket"
"No cop in this town is going to pull you over for that, but in Orlando, theyre all dickheads with nothing better to do and just bored"

Thats straight from the cops from the city my gym is at.

People jumped on OP because "oh, being ignorant of the law doesnt excuse you." But nobody here knows every law in the book. And for something so petty? The LEOs themselves dont know all the laws. I posted an example that in Virginia you cant curse in public. Are you "pro-police sheep" really cool with that? I see cops breaking the law all the time. People are saying we shouldnt expect LEO to selectively enforce laws but they dont it with THEMSELVES.

I know not all LEOs are bad. We're not saying that. But lets not pretend theyre all good.

The only difference between us and them, is they have a gun and the judge on their side.
perfect post.

35 states (including DC) do not require side mirrors on modern vehicles in all circumstances. Most say if the center mirror is obstructed then side mirrors are necessary, some only require that the driver can turn their head.

Mirrorless States:
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts*, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee**, Texas, Vermont, Washington DC, West Virginia, Wisconsin.

*Massachusetts is vague: "Must have at least one mirror with a clear, reflected view of the highway to the rear and left side of the vehicle."

**Tennessee is vague: "motor trucks" must have at least one unobstructed mirror if it is loaded or built to prevent the driver's view of the rear.
AZ is mirrorless?? Maybe I'm thinking of motorcycles because you have to have one...at least last I heard. Good info, thanks!

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
perfect post.

AZ is mirrorless?? Maybe I'm thinking of motorcycles because you have to have one...at least last I heard. Good info, thanks!
It's one mirror (rear-view) unless it is obstructed (debatable if the spare obstructs, probably if larger than original equipment):

Title 28: Chapter 2: Article 16 Equipment

28-956. Mirrors
A motor vehicle that is constructed or loaded in a manner that obstructs the driver's view to the rear of the vehicle from the driver's position shall be equipped with two mirrors located in a manner to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least two hundred feet to the rear of the vehicle.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
35 states (including DC) do not require side mirrors on modern vehicles in all circumstances. Most say if the center mirror is obstructed then side mirrors are necessary, some only require that the driver can turn their head.

Mirrorless States:
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts*, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee**, Texas, Vermont, Washington DC, West Virginia, Wisconsin.

*Massachusetts is vague: "Must have at least one mirror with a clear, reflected view of the highway to the rear and left side of the vehicle."

**Tennessee is vague: "motor trucks" must have at least one unobstructed mirror if it is loaded or built to prevent the driver's view of the rear.
Virginia only requires a single mirror as well.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
It's not Massachusetts, it's Taxachusetts. I'm worried about Texas becoming Taxus because of the influx of people coming from high Tax places like California, Illinois, NY, and other places.
I would think the people coming from the south would be a bigger problem for Texas, but there's so much oil money there it all evens out anyway. Don't mind me, I'm from the Midwest and that's what Trump and the media have taught us :CWL:

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Says the "Dalton Gang" lolol

I dont think the people here are anti-police. I suppose youre totally cool with everything the last 5 Presidents have said and done? No complaints at all?

As I stated before, I workout every day with 2-3 cops. When I was building my jeep I asked them for advice. Is this cool? Is this not cool? (legally).

They would tell me.... "if a cop pulls you over for that, hes a dick"
"yea, if he pulls you over for that, hes just being a jackass"
"yea, honestly, nobody is going to pull you over for that, if they do, they just have nothing better to do and want to write a ticket"
"No cop in this town is going to pull you over for that, but in Orlando, theyre all dickheads with nothing better to do and just bored"

Thats straight from the cops from the city my gym is at.

People jumped on OP because "oh, being ignorant of the law doesnt excuse you." But nobody here knows every law in the book. And for something so petty? The LEOs themselves dont know all the laws. I posted an example that in Virginia you cant curse in public. Are you "pro-police sheep" really cool with that? I see cops breaking the law all the time. People are saying we shouldnt expect LEO to selectively enforce laws but they dont it with THEMSELVES.

I know not all LEOs are bad. We're not saying that. But lets not pretend theyre all good.

The only difference between us and them, is they have a gun and the judge on their side.

Wow, you worked out with a couple of police officers, at the gym. You now must be an expert on all things police related. Sure I agree with what your workout buddies have said. But then again, neither you, your buddies, nor I, know what really happened on those police stops. Would I write those tickets? No! Not unless the driver was being a jerk, doing several other things wrong, or had a baaaaad attitude, when the violation was pointed out.
PS. I dont think everyone here is an Anti-Police Whacko, it just seems a few here are. I'm still on the fence about you. :punch:

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Wow, you worked out with a couple of police officers, at the gym. You now must be an expert on all things police related. Sure I agree with what your workout buddies have said. But then again, neither you, your buddies, nor I, know what really happened on those police stops. Would I write those tickets? No! Not unless the driver was being a jerk, doing several other things wrong, or had a baaaaad attitude, when the violation was pointed out.
PS. I dont think everyone here is an Anti-Police Whacko, it just seems a few here are. I'm still on the fence about you. :punch:
I think the point went right over your head.

There were no police stops. Those quotes were of me asking advice on my jeep build and them telling me if i get pulled over for "that mod," the cop is just being a jackass with nothing better to do.

The whole point was that Im NOT an expert but since i have them there for reference they can school me. We're not anti police/cop haters.

Anyway, good convos guys. Hopefully we can change the silly laws so we can all ride happier!

Last edited:

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Here is an opinion, on riding with no doors. Well, on a Highway, it's a foolish thing to do. On trails, go for it, but common sense should tell you to have something to stop you or your limbs from coming out, on a roll over. Perhaps the tubed doors. Riding around town, doorless, is also dangerous unless tubed doors are used. Most roll overs, that I've seen are off the highway, in the suburbs, at intersections. Would I do it, yes, with high quality tubed doors, only.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Here is an opinion, on riding with no doors. Well, on a Highway, it's a foolish thing to do. On trails, go for it, but common sense should tell you to have something to stop you or your limbs from coming out, on a roll over. Perhaps the tubed doors. Riding around town, doorless, is also dangerous unless tubed doors are used. Most roll overs, that I've seen are off the highway, in the suburbs, at intersections. Would I do it, yes, with high quality tubed doors, only.
Here's another opinion. A sheriff in Telluride wants to close down the Black Bear Pass. He's tired of picking up body parts every year.

So is going down Black Bear Pass or any dangerous trail foolish to you? If lack of safety is your concern on road why not safety off road?

There are lots of examples of unsafe activities we do. Motorcycles were brought up before and probably the best example yet there they are all around us.

I guess we could outlaw bikes and going off road etc and just cocoon ourselves in doors but the freedom to do some of these things is what makes many tic, It's one BIG reason bikes are popular and for sure jeeps. Take that away and what are we the adventurists left with?

BTW the Black Bear Pass is a very easy trail. The main danger is taking your eye off the trail for a second can lead to parts coming off your body. Some freak out too, so the saying "know thyself" comes to mind.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
:CWL: Reminds me of a roller coaster cart.

upload_2019-7-31_13-20-3.jpeg
That's it!!! I couldn't put my finger on it, but that's why it looks weird. Dang, now I'll never be able to un-see that when I see a doorless unlimited.

Of course roller coasters are fun, so maybe that's why everyone enjoys a Jeep so much.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
We call it the same thing and we have an influx of people that move up here then vote for the same crap they left behind (we call them Massholes)

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Naw, I don't buy that the same applies to Harleys as it does to Jeeps. 1) Harley riders wave because of the understanding that they are taking a risk for the enjoyment of being on the open road. We acknowledge that we are willing to risk getting seriously hurt or even die for the chance to ride a motorcycle and feel what others don't. 2) Jeep drivers are not taking any risk, they are not giving up their safety to experience a Jeep. Its just, "I have one, you have one' thing. Harley riders will stop for a broken down biker (most will), but not so sure about a Jeep driver. Sure, there are some of you that would, but not to the extent of what a Harley rider would.

Ya, the NH coastline is nice. Love it up there. Im doing a Portland, Booth Bay, Camden, to Bar Harbor on a 10 day ride next month. Not a long distance but thinking it will still be enjoyable. I suspect the traffic may be heavy in spots but something I'll just have to deal with.
I've done the ride to Bar Harbor many times, one of my favorite places and I love Caddilac Mt . . 2 years ago we hopped the ferry and did Nova Scotia, that was a beautiful ride
Sponsored