jrbiem

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18" JLU Sport Mojito!
Hey guys,

For the tailgate gap issue please call us At 1-800-845-3567 and ask for Crystal. I apologize for the delay, I am in Moab for EJS all week.

CassieAtBestop
I will be calling probably tomorrow. I installed my trektop last night and it came with the extra piece that is supposed to fix the tailgate gap. Problem is that extra piece doesn't stay in place and continues to fall off. Is there an actual fix in the works? Like a re-designed tailgate bar?

ChicagoShoop

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I installed mine on Friday and noticed that their fix was an extra piece also. I still have gaps in the ends of this new piece where I can see inside the Jeep. Has anyone talked to bestop to request a real fix. For the amount we spent on this I would think a properly designed rear window isn’t too much to ask for.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Well I installed the new window they sent. It flaps too. My son shot a quick video, but his hand was over the mic so the camera didn't pick up just how loud it really was. Sigh.....

jrbiem

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18" JLU Sport Mojito!
I spoke with Nick @ Bestop this morning. He said the issue of the extra piece not staying in place has been fixed. I was instructed to send a picture and a copy of my receipt from NR4x4 and that they'd get a whole new piece shipped out to me. Unsure if that means whole new tailgate bar or what. I'll keep you all updated as to what happens with this.

Sponsored

ChicagoShoop

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I spoke with Nick @ Bestop this morning. He said the issue of the extra piece not staying in place has been fixed. I was instructed to send a picture and a copy of my receipt from NR4x4 and that they'd get a whole new piece shipped out to me. Unsure if that means whole new tailgate bar or what. I'll keep you all updated as to what happens with this.
Did he give you his email to use? Mind sharing so i can do the same?

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Saving seconds saves lives. Trauma Surgery PA.
Seems like the rear window flapping issue should have been caught during Bestop's R&D/testing of the JL Trektop. If I was a Trektop owner I'd be discouraged. Also, kind of strange that some aren't experiencing the flapping issue and some are. Hope they figure this out sooner rather than later.

jrbiem

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18" JLU Sport Mojito!
I called Bestop today to follow up on my tailgate bar weatherstripping issue. They reviewed my photos while I was on the phone and immediately ordered a new tailgate bar with free shipping. Should be here early next week and I'll update again when it arrives.

Sponsored

jrbiem

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18" JLU Sport Mojito!
Seems like the rear window flapping issue should have been caught during Bestop's R&D/testing of the JL Trektop. If I was a Trektop owner I'd be discouraged. Also, kind of strange that some aren't experiencing the flapping issue and some are. Hope they figure this out sooner rather than later.
My understanding is it was a small sample size affected by this issue and if you cal them with the serial # off the window it can be determined if it's one of the affected ones. Must have been an issue in the manufacturing process for a day or something? Not sure...Mine doesn't flap at all.

Eli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_2707.jpg
IMG_2698.jpg

So this past weekend, I put on my trektop on my jeep. It took me approximately 4 hours for the installation and have to say that I really like the way it looks. I let it sit out in the Sun for two days between 80 - 85 degree weather to allow the twill/material to stretch and set on the Jeep. The third day, I drove it up 70 mph with no flapping at all. I was very surprised that I couldn't tell the wind noise difference between the hard top and the trektop.... It was actually quiet.

The following day I drove it to work, which is approximately 35 miles away from my house and mainly open highway with no issues at all. Later on that evening on my way home........ It all started " the flapping of death" from the rear window at 65 mph. I slowed down then it stopped, but then the "flapping" again started at 65 mph. As soon as I got home everything seemed to be intact together. The following the day it did the same thing.

I have to say it's very disappointing especially for the amount of money that we all paid. I'll be calling bestop customer service to report this issue

jrbiem

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18" JLU Sport Mojito!
IMG_2707.jpg
IMG_2698.jpg

So this past weekend, I put on my trektop on my jeep. It took me approximately 4 hours for the installation and have to say that I really like the way it looks. I let it sit out in the Sun for two days between 80 - 85 degree weather to allow the twill/material to stretch and set on the Jeep. The third day, I drove it up 70 mph with no flapping at all. I was very surprised that I couldn't tell the wind noise difference between the hard top and the trektop.... It was actually quiet.

The following day I drove it to work, which is approximately 35 miles away from my house and mainly open highway with no issues at all. Later on that evening on my way home........ It all started " the flapping of death" from the rear window at 65 mph. I slowed down then it stopped, but then the "flapping" again started at 65 mph. As soon as I got home everything seemed to be intact together. The following the day it did the same thing.

I have to say it's very disappointing especially for the amount of money that we all paid. I'll be calling bestop customer service to report this issue

Off topic but what lift and tires are you running?

Eli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl
Vehicle Showcase
Off topic but what lift and tires are you running?
I'm running the Mopar 2" inch lift kit/fox shocks and the goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlar radial tires (35x12.5). In my opinion, it still has a smooth ride on the highway and it does great with the level 1 - 3 off road trails.

jrbiem

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18" JLU Sport Mojito!
D307186D-3741-4288-8BAE-D4D51B83CC8B.jpeg
I'm running the Mopar 2" inch lift kit/fox shocks and the goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlar radial tires (35x12.5). In my opinion, it still has a smooth ride on the highway and it does great with the level 1 - 3 off road trails.
Thanks, thought they looked like 37s! I'm on Evo 2.5" lift with 35x12.5 trail grapplers and looking at going to flat fenders and 37x13.5
Sponsored

Reactions: Eli