Rotopax Mounting Ideas

BostonJohn13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 05 Wrangler Unlimited
I need to mount a rotopax or jerry can for an upcoming trip through Death Valley. Since there are not a lot of options at this time for the JL that don't require a new bumper or tire carrier I started thinking about temporary solutions.

I'm considering purchasing a Trash-a-roo to hang off the spare tire and storing the fuel can in there. A few considerations that come to mind:
  • Trash-a-roo weight rating is 50lbs and I expect the fuel can to be ~35lbs when filled
  • JL stock tailgate/tire carrier is rated for ~85lbs. I'm going to exceed this limit with my spare tire + fuel.
  • Trash-a-roo is not a rigid solution. Fuel can might bounce around a lot on the trail adding more stress to the tailgate.
  • Fuel can theft will be easy but since this is a temp solution it should be OK
Honestly it seems like a questionable solution but since it doesn't cost $800+ i'm considering it for 1 trip.

Anyone else have better ideas?
Sponsored

Kbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU
I need to mount a rotopax or jerry can for an upcoming trip through Death Valley. Since there are not a lot of options at this time for the JL that don't require a new bumper or tire carrier I started thinking about temporary solutions.

I'm considering purchasing a Trash-a-roo to hang off the spare tire and storing the fuel can in there. A few considerations that come to mind:
  • Trash-a-roo weight rating is 50lbs and I expect the fuel can to be ~35lbs when filled
  • JL stock tailgate/tire carrier is rated for ~85lbs. I'm going to exceed this limit with my spare tire + fuel.
  • Trash-a-roo is not a rigid solution. Fuel can might bounce around a lot on the trail adding more stress to the tailgate.
  • Fuel can theft will be easy but since this is a temp solution it should be OK
Honestly it seems like a questionable solution but since it doesn't cost $800+ i'm considering it for 1 trip.

Anyone else have better ideas?
They make a bracket for a rotopax that straps around the circumference of the spare that would probably be your best/quickest solution.

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
Get a rear bumper with tire carrier that has a Rotopax mount. Options are LOD, JCR Offroad, Smittybilt, and likely more. The Shield carrier on my JCR has a HiLift and Rotopax mount (more add ons; overall not cheap).