Sponsored

Rubicon running boards

• Thread starter Deleted member 29342
  • Start date
  • Watchers 6

Deleted member 29342

I’ve been building a Rubicon to order on jeeps web site and notice there isn’t a running board option. Can anyone tell me if they coming with running boards already or is there only after market only for the Rubicon?
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I’ve been building a Rubicon to order on jeeps web site and notice there isn’t a running board option. Can anyone tell me if they coming with running boards already or is there only after market only for the Rubicon?
I believe they only have rock sliders on them.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
You can get a performance rock rails which can also serve as sort of running board (they are standard on Moab). Or you can let your dealer install either Sahara style running board or Tubular running board. All these are Mopar options and you can let dealer install them for you.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
@GreyFox is correct. The Rubi only offers the rock rails... I removed mine & replaced with side steps. Plenty of options available from Mopar & other manufacturers, depending on your needs, wants, & desires...

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
@GreyFox is correct. The Rubi only offers the rock rails... I removed mine & replaced with side steps. Plenty of options available from Mopar & other manufacturers, depending on your needs, wants, & desires...
Plus, let the dealer put on your running boards and they can mess with the infamous body bolt that people have problems with.

Sponsored

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 F-150 Platinum
Plus, let the dealer put on your running boards and they can mess with the infamous body bolt that people have problems with.
The Rubicon Rock Sliders and the Sahara Running Boards don't use the body bolts for mounting. Each side has 6 small threaded studs that go through the pitch seam and have nuts attached on the backside. There are also 3 big bolts that attach the Rock Rail and Running Board. These are supplied when you buy the Rail or Running Board. They are not the body bolts. 10 minute job on each side to remove the Rock Rail and replace them with the Running Boards.

Quadratec has the Sahara Running Boards for around $400. My suggestion would be to go to the Parts Forum and see if you can get a take off set from another member that's upgrading. I got my Sahara Running Boards for our Rubicon for $125 like new from someone that was selling them locally.

The wider Mopar Performance Rock Rails that come standard on the Moab are a little wider, but I really don't think they are worth the $950 price tag. You can check them out at your local dealer that has a Moab on the lot.

Yakpimp

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I can confirm what steevr said. I also put on some running boards and they installed exactly as he described. I have since taken them off since I was concerned I’d totally destroy them on the trail.

eBay has hem for slightly under the retail price. I put my rock rails back since I liked the higher up look. Tubular side steps are sitting in my garage.

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can confirm what steevr said. I also put on some running boards and they installed exactly as he described. I have since taken them off since I was concerned I’d totally destroy them on the trail.

eBay has hem for slightly under the retail price. I put my rock rails back since I liked the higher up look. Tubular side steps are sitting in my garage.
Have to admit that we also like the look of the Rock Rail better. We don't need the running board to get in or out, rather just to help protect the doors and hinges from all the snow and salt during the winter months. This is especially true since no one makes splash guards/mud flaps for the JL Rubicon. At least not yet.

The plan is to put the Rock Rails back on in the spring.

alanh2c6

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I went with Red Rock 4x4 side steps for 299.00. Ordered color match paint and had local body shop paint and bake for 65.00. I was able to remove and install myself. Easy

DB6D16D7-2C06-4307-9940-3A9852EDBE60.jpeg

OP
OP

Deleted member 29342

Can the rock rails be use as a step?

Sponsored

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can the rock rails be use as a step?
The standard Rubicon Rock Rails are not wide enough to step on. The Mopar Performance Rock Rails on the Moab are a little wider and can be stepped on, but still are not as wide as a normal running board.