Sponsored

Jeep Wave [the hand thing, not the program]

grapejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I live in Montana and it's probably 80% that will wave. I've noticed it's almost entirely men though.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I live in Montana and it's probably 80% that will wave. I've noticed it's almost entirely men though.
I've always imagined that Montana is almost entirely men. So this is consistent. (I'm kidding. Mostly.)

cypherflow

First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR & Evolve e-skateboard
Occupation
Super Computer Nerd
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in socal. LA and San Diego. You'll get a wave from me once I get my Rubicon (in two weeks). Don't matter if I get a reply back or not. It's just a simple courtesy. I've done it always with riding on motorcycles and with the BMW M community.
Cheers!

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I wave every time. Most wave back.

and for those that don't....

I follow them home, watch them for awhile, get to know their routine.
Then I go into their backyard, take off my pants and use their grill to make BBQ Chicken.

and I don't clean the grill afterward.
When I read you take off your pants I thought your story was going in another direction. Nice plot twist! :cwl:

Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I'm new to Jeeps so when I learned about this wave thing I started waiving out of curiosity, my own little social experiment, if you will. I'm sad to report here in L.A. I only get 20% return waves. I'll keep waving, though, just to keep the tradition alive.

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I wave.....

I have a hard time sometimes because I'm in my work vehicle, and I see a Jeep, and I want to wave, but then realize "that's would just be weird".

The return wave rate though varies, less waves from women or from Sahara's. People who have at least a few aftermarket mods though, the rate has to be north of 75%. I largely attribute that to the healthy (AJP) community in the Austin area. With a a few thousand members, and 500-600 really active members, it feels more often than not people are waving to people they have met, or have a shared interest with. It's a community that really is built around that mutual interest.

Bronx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
The return wave rate though varies, less waves from women or from Sahara's.
Oh good. I Have a Sahara and, although I have never noticed any others waving at me, if they did I probably wouldn't wave back. Now I won't feel weird about being unfriendly, just say it's a Sahara thing. It's like on a bike, a lot of BMW and Goldwing riders won't wave back and it's just accepted because of what they're riding.

When I'm on my Yamaha cruiser I normally don't initiate waves but will usually wave back if I get one if I'm in a safe position to wave back. Can't always safely wave when lane splitting.

punknking

First Name
Chrus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
buying JLU soon
So, I've read repeatedly about the Jeep Wave and thought it was kind of cool. A fellowship of sorts between like-minded enthusiasts/fans. Having ridden motorcycles for years, I figured it was similar to what I experience on two wheels. I have to say, I'm starting to think it's a myth. It seems no one in my neck of the woods is eager to wave from their Jeep to me in mine. Any of you in Southern California consistently waving and getting waves? Maybe I'm doing it wrong. It's half your body out the window with both hands outstretched and enthusiastic jazz hands, right? I'm going to be so embarrassed if it's supposed to be spirit fingers and I've been doing it wrong this whole time.
There has been a steady decrease in the knowledge of the wave with each model of Wrangler. With the JK's we joked the soccer moms would never waive at us.

Its spread with release of the JL.

Sponsored

SgtSonnt

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLRU
I'm in the DC Metro and tend to wave at all Jeeps. I receive roughly 50% in return. I have started to see a bit of a pattern though. The custom Jeeps have more of a tendency to wave at my custom Jeep than stock Jeeps. Not sure if it's true or not just an observation.

HendersonJL

First Name
Chinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray 2-door JL
I am a little disappointed on the Jeep wave thingie too. Since driving my JL in early Nov 2018, I got about 60% wave back, if not less! (from the ones I initiated. I dont count the ones that waved at me first).

The reason I am disappointed is this is the second Jeep I drive. Back in early 2000s, I had a lot of people waved/waved back at me driving a '97 Wrangler.

Is this a generational thing? Young drivers dont get the Jeep wave?