DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I just changed the air filter ater 15,000 miles and almost a year. The old one didn't look too bad until I sat it next to a new one (OEM Mopar). I'll probably swap this one out at 12k, although the old one did have Moab dust in it. Anyway, I'll run the Mopar filters until Fram or Wix come out with a replacement. Anyway, I thought you'd all like to see the pic.
qx9Jw7x.jpg
Sponsored

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
That doesn’t look bad at all! I live on a dirt road and really need to change mine.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Yeah, that’s not bad. You could have run that filter for longer.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that’s not bad. You could have run that filter for longer.
I'm sure you are right. The next couple of used oil analyses will tell the story. The first three had high silicon, but that was likely due to gasket sealers and such from assembly of the engine. It went from 117parts per million in the factory oil, (2007 miles on oil) to 42 in the second oil change (3260 miles on oil) and then to 21 (4277 miles on oil). The universal average for this engine is 12ppm. I'd like to get it down there or a little better. The next oil change might not tell the story as much, because I've seen some UOA's where silicon spiked a bit if the filter was changed. I vaccumed and wiped my air box clean as possible before installing the new filter, and dampened the new one's rubber seals with 303 protectant, so they should be sealed tight as a drum with no air leaks, at all.

I know I'm OCD with this stuff, but it is all for fun. I'll post the next oil analysis in the future. I've got about 5,300 miles on the oil with about 38% left on the oil life monitor. I'm going to change it next somewhere between 10% and zero, if the timing works out. I'll change it sooner if going on an off-road trip, though.

I've sometimes gone 30k on an air filter in my JK, but they look pretty ugly by then, so I've backed off to every 15k miles or so.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I'm sure you are right. The next couple of used oil analyses will tell the story. The first three had high silicon, but that was likely due to gasket sealers and such from assembly of the engine. It went from 117parts per million in the factory oil, (2007 miles on oil) to 42 in the second oil change (3260 miles on oil) and then to 21 (4277 miles on oil). The universal average for this engine is 12ppm. I'd like to get it down there or a little better. The next oil change might not tell the story as much, because I've seen some UOA's where silicon spiked a bit if the filter was changed. I vaccumed and wiped my air box clean as possible before installing the new filter, and dampened the new one's rubber seals with 303 protectant, so they should be sealed tight as a drum with no air leaks, at all.

I know I'm OCD with this stuff, but it is all for fun. I'll post the next oil analysis in the future. I've got about 5,300 miles on the oil with about 38% left on the oil life monitor. I'm going to change it next somewhere between 10% and zero, if the timing works out. I'll change it sooner if going on an off-road trip, though.

I've sometimes gone 30k on an air filter in my JK, but they look pretty ugly by then, so I've backed off to every 15k miles or so.
I’m OCD with maintenance as well. My wife just shakes her head at me and tells me I look for things to do. Lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m OCD with maintenance as well. My wife just shakes her head at me and tells me I look for things to do. Lol
She sounds EXACTLY like my wife! Lol!

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, the silicone level in the oil analysis, after 7,100 miles on the oil, came down to 14ppm, so I'm pretty happy about that. Many of those miles came in Moab where we spent almost a week in the dustiest conditions my Jeep will ever see. The old filter did it's job, and was probably actually more efficient as it caught more and more dust and debris. I changed it after getting off the trails. When I tapped it, a could of dust came off of it! The last 4k or so miles on this oil run came with the new filter. I honestly expected more silicon, so I'm very pleased. I suspect the next oil change, which will occur at about 5k miles on the oil, will look even better.

I'll post up the oil analysis when I get a chance. I'm on a network that blocks Imgur, so I can't post it. Overall, it looked pretty good running Mobil 1 AP 0w20. It had plenty of life left in it and wear metals and viscosity looked good. The oil level at 7k was right where it should be and no topping off was necessary. There was no fuel dilution or water present, and again, the silicates were low, so air filtration is good and the leftovers from break-in have pretty much cleared out. I put Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20 in for this fill and will run it for 5k miles and do another analysis.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Well, the silicone level in the oil analysis, after 7,100 miles on the oil, came down to 14ppm, so I'm pretty happy about that.
Here I thought I was pretty conscientious for changing my oil every 5k miles. Oil analysis? Guess I'm still swimming in the kiddie pool...:facepalm:

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here I thought I was pretty conscientious for changing my oil every 5k miles. Oil analysis? Guess I'm still swimming in the kiddie pool...:facepalm:
Lol, no, I'm just an oil nerd. Honestly, the differences between high quality oils are barely noticeable in these analyses in a healthy engine. They really are more useful for determining the health of the engine more than the quality of the oil. It's just one more way for me to interact with my JL without becoming a pervert! Lol!

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I just changed the air filter ater 15,000 miles and almost a year. The old one didn't look too bad until I sat it next to a new one (OEM Mopar). I'll probably swap this one out at 12k, although the old one did have Moab dust in it. Anyway, I'll run the Mopar filters until Fram or Wix come out with a replacement. Anyway, I thought you'd all like to see the pic.
qx9Jw7x.jpg
Just wait until you see the cabin air filter.

I pulled mine at 13,000 miles and it was twice as black as that engine air filter in your pic. Had dandelion seeds, hair, etc. in it. :surprised:

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How much and where did you buy the filter? I'm at 20k and I should change mine now!
I bought it off Ebay for about 20 bucks, IIRC. My dealership didn't even have them yet at that point. Dealerships should be well stocked with them by now, though, or can get them within a day or two. It shouldn't be long before Fram and others hit the market, too. I plan on moving to a Fram Tough Guard air filter if they ever put them out for the JL.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just wait until you see the cabin air filter.

I pulled mine at 13,000 miles and it was twice as black as that engine air filter in your pic. Had dandelion seeds, hair, etc. in it. :surprised:
Yes, I'm overdue for mine. 17k miles and probably saturated with Moab dust, along with everything else!

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, no, I'm just an oil nerd. Honestly, the differences between high quality oils are barely noticeable in these analyses in a healthy engine. They really are more useful for determining the health of the engine more than the quality of the oil. It's just one more way for me to interact with my JL without becoming a pervert! Lol!
Dan, I noticed in a different thread you were looking for a magnetized drain plug, are you (have you) been seeing above average metal in your oil analyses?
Sponsored