Sponsored

Tan Soft Tops

gravesbrock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
Very long time lurker but first time poster,

Finally have the cash saved to buy a JL. My first jeep was an 89. Anyway I searched the forum and didn't see any pictures or post about the tan soft top... specifically on a 2 door. I see its available on the jeep builder but, no examples except a couple mock ups using photoshop.
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
It's not great, but when selecting the tan top on the builder you noticed it on a mock up of the rig, right?

It's not much better than photoshop, if not photoshop itself that might have created the builder's images.

Todkavonic

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moto Guzzi, Ducati, BMW, Lincoln, Land Rover
Congrats on saving money for a JL! You should be proud of yourself.

Regarding the tan soft top, I’ve got nothing. Seems like there should be a photo someplace though.

Sponsored

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Tan tops are nice looking but from what I remember on the Miata forums (long term owner of a couple a while ago) they tend to get dark marks where they fold after a bit. Other than that there's nothing different. And you're right. I have yet to see a Jeep with a tan top. I wanted a hard top as the soft is a pain at the grocery store or when trying to load anything with the top up. I though they would have solved that stupid bar along the bottom by now but obviously not. Save up a tiny bit more and get a hard top. You can always get a soft top later on. Or vice versa if you're set on the soft top.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Damn that fugly, no wonder we haven’t seen them
@coukos34 : I certainly respect your right to not like what you see. Still more, I'm not sure that I don't agree, if not to the extent that you do.

My wondering though is if that top isn't as much the problem as the color of the rig it gets placed on.

Maybe the lack of contrast between a tan top on a white rig is suboptimal to, say, a tan top on a black rig. I think the latter might look nicer--but again, that's one guys opinion and frankly guess, not having seen it yet.

Or maybe you just hate the tan top period--which again is your right, independent of other poster's concerns over how it weathers over time.

coukos34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Cooper, 2016 Corvette Z51
@coukos34 : I certainly respect your right to not like what you see. Still more, I'm not sure that I don't agree, if not to the extent that you do.

My wondering though is if that top isn't as much the problem as the color of the rig it gets placed on.

Maybe the lack of contrast between a tan top on a white rig is suboptimal to, say, a tan top on a black rig. I think the latter might look nicer--but again, that's one guys opinion and frankly guess, not having seen it yet.

Or maybe you just hate the tan top period--which again is your right, independent of other poster's concerns over how it weathers over time.
Sorry that was a crappy response on my part. To be clear, I was referring to the combo posted, which In my opinion is fugly. To each their own, and especially with Jeeps. I may also be partial since I have a white JLUR, and can’t imagine that look. I do however think that a tan top could potentially look good on other colors (red and black come to mind). I do think it’s odd though that the OP can’t find any pics of a tan top despite its offering, as I wouldn’t mind seeing that being represented. Ultimately the lack thereof though tells me it’s not a popular option.

Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport

The black fenders don’t do the tan top
any favors on the white Jeep in the picture.

My feeling is convertibles look best when the top matches the paint color or the second most dominant color which will pretty much always be black since, well, tires are always black, and seats normally are too. I say stay away from a tan top, but it would look nice with body painted fenders and tan interiors.

My billet silver would look awful with a tan top.

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ‘90 YJ, '22 4Runner
Not a two door, but with limited tan tops out there, here’s my Billet JLUR with the soft top on. My plan from the beginning back in January was to go with the tan, so I sold the black soft top when the Jeep came in, and waited till the tan was available for sale from the parts department.

9522990F-AD52-43DF-A189-FD054B0E0FA4.jpeg

02ADE68C-77CE-4F8F-9058-8CB3A548605D.jpeg

81F63B89-A239-4CD4-93F0-9EEC358FF603.jpeg

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Sorry that was a crappy response on my part. To be clear, I was referring to the combo posted, which In my opinion is fugly. To each their own, and especially with Jeeps. I may also be partial since I have a white JLUR, and can’t imagine that look. I do however think that a tan top could potentially look good on other colors (red and black come to mind). I do think it’s odd though that the OP can’t find any pics of a tan top despite its offering, as I wouldn’t mind seeing that being represented. Ultimately the lack thereof though tells me it’s not a popular option.

As a white colored JL Sahara owner we are exactly on the same page for the same reasons.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Not a two door, but with limited tan tops out there, here’s my Billet JLUR with the soft top on. My plan from the beginning back in January was to go with the tan, so I sold the black soft top when the Jeep came in, and waited till the tan was available for sale from the parts department.

IMHO that same exact top looks a whole light nicer simply given the color of your rig. Enjoy!

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport

I think it looks really nice with the doors off exposing the tan interior. Plus, you’ve got painted fenders, another check in the “did it right” column.
Sponsored