Cyclone88

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2012 JK Sport, 2013 Mini Countryman
Vehicle Showcase
Just under 5000 miles on my JLU Sport S with the technology group and I started having some odd volume issues with the FM radio. The volume seems to have a mind of its own - without touching the dial, the volume drifts up and down as if the signal strength is waning, but there's no static whatsoever. It's just the FM radio volume drifting up and down constantly, making it difficult to hear the stations. Yes, I have a 13" stubby antenna installed, but that's been installed for 4000+ of those 5000 miles with absolutely no issues. I'm going to swap it out to the stock antenna tonight just to confirm that isn't the issue, but it's a pretty strange problem to just pop up without anything I can identify that would have prompted it.

Anyone else have a similar issue? Ideas on a fix? I'm taking the Jeep in for service in a couple of weeks to get a few other items taken care of, but this is the first electrical gremlin I've found.

edit: Shoot, this was really supposed to be posted in the "issues" section.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SandBucket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR; 2017 Subaru Outback; 1999 TJ Sport (traded-in)
Do you have an option for speed-adjusted volume? Is it turned on?

OP
OP
Cyclone88

Cyclone88

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have an option for speed-adjusted volume? Is it turned on?
That was one of my first thoughts as well - yes, I have that option. And yes, I did go in and turn it off. Unfortunately it didn't seem to fix anything.

Good thought though!

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
Is your phone connected via Bluetooth? In my JLUR the audio volume turns down when there is a notification on my phone, I normally have the volume turned down on my phone so the phone will not make a sound, but the radio volume cuts down when it happens. So I am not sure if this is your issue, but its my experience with my Jeep.

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Are you using navigation or anything from your phone? I thought I had radio issues and didn't realize my phone volume was low and when it went to speak the directions it only comes through the driver speakers, but the rest continue to play music. This gave the effect of random speaker issues even though passengers could still hear the music.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cyclone88

Cyclone88

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are you using navigation or anything from your phone? I thought I had radio issues and didn't realize my phone volume was low and when it went to speak the directions it only comes through the driver speakers, but the rest continue to play music. This gave the effect of random speaker issues even though passengers could still hear the music.
Nope. My phone automatically connects in the background via bluetooth, but I'm not making a call or playing music from the phone. The only audio is the FM radio when I have this problem. I'll try to get a recording of the issue when I head home, assuming it pops up again. This morning is the second time it's happened, so I'm assuming it's not going to just go away.

edit: just for kicks though, I'll try unpairing the phone completely and drive around just to see if some bizarre quirk is causing the volume fluctuation.

Moniz81

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL & 2018 Jeep Compass
What was the end result with this?

I’ve had it now happen three different times. It’s like certain FM stations are “muted” to a low volume so you crank the knob up and then switch to another station that comes in super loud. I listen to mostly sports radio and have only had the problem around lunch time all 3 occasions. I’m wondering if it’s an HD radio/signal issue with these new Jeep radios. It happened right before this post as I’m sitting in my driveway and just turned the radio on. I shut it off for a few minutes when I went inside and then came back out to turn it on and it was blasting from where I left it. Comeptley random!

OP
OP
Cyclone88

Cyclone88

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No end result - it's still intermittently an issue. It's definitely only the FM radio, any other audio source I choose behaves as expected.

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
I have the same issue. Dropped mine off yesterday for the Cruise Control recall and asked them to check this as well. They found a service bulletin with a subsequent software update needed. Picking it up later today so we'll see if it continues to happen.

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
I don't have a issue with the radio volume changing but what gets me is this..... If I have the radio up loud and then get a call, the phone call is at the same volume as I had the radio on. It would be nice if the call came in at the same volume all the time rather than what the radio is currently at.

Sponsored

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Just under 5000 miles on my JLU Sport S with the technology group and I started having some odd volume issues with the FM radio. The volume seems to have a mind of its own - without touching the dial, the volume drifts up and down as if the signal strength is waning, but there's no static whatsoever. It's just the FM radio volume drifting up and down constantly, making it difficult to hear the stations. Yes, I have a 13" stubby antenna installed, but that's been installed for 4000+ of those 5000 miles with absolutely no issues. I'm going to swap it out to the stock antenna tonight just to confirm that isn't the issue, but it's a pretty strange problem to just pop up without anything I can identify that would have prompted it.

Anyone else have a similar issue? Ideas on a fix? I'm taking the Jeep in for service in a couple of weeks to get a few other items taken care of, but this is the first electrical gremlin I've found.

edit: Shoot, this was really supposed to be posted in the "issues" section.
I’m having same exact issue. FM only. Can really notice it because it’s sports talk radio. Volume drops really low then back to normal in a few seconds. Happens pretty consistently. Would love to hear if anyone gets a fix. I’m going in for routine maintenance next week, would love to have an idea to give them

kirbyx

First Name
Oot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2018 JL
I have the same issue. Dropped mine off yesterday for the Cruise Control recall and asked them to check this as well. They found a service bulletin with a subsequent software update needed. Picking it up later today so we'll see if it continues to happen.
Hi MGD...
Did the software update fix the radio volume fluctuation problem???
Thank you in advance!...

Martin

LakeMAnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Keep an eye on your HD Radio signal. I get very spotty HD signal on some FM stations and experience the exact same symptoms you are describing.

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Keep an eye on your HD Radio signal. I get very spotty HD signal on some FM stations and experience the exact same symptoms you are describing.
^This.

I honestly didn't even know people still listened to FM radio.:like:

LakeMAnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
LOL. I typically don't, but there is a particular program I try to catch on Saturday afternoons. Otherwise it's Sirius or Phone App.
Sponsored