Cusumano916

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler unlimited jl rubicon
Hey ya’ll,
I just got my rubicon rims powder coated black to match my Jeep. After I got my rims back I noticed the tires and rims wouldn’t stand up straight and when I drove it I noticed alot of wobble. I got it balanced and the guy said either the tires are out of shape or rims are bent. Rims are brand new only a few miles on them. Anyone know what might have happened or how I can fix it?

C267DCC9-693F-4B46-8A02-BF788E7316F5.jpeg
Sponsored

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Cwhen they mounted the tires did they balance them?

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Do a google search for powder coated rims warped

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Hey ya’ll,
I just got my rubicon rims powder coated black to match my Jeep. After I got my rims back I noticed the tires and rims wouldn’t stand up straight and when I drove it I noticed alot of wobble. I got it balanced and the guy said either the tires are out of shape or rims are bent. Rims are brand new only a few miles on them. Anyone know what might have happened or how I can fix it?

Many wheel companies do not recommend powder coating alloy wheels. Heat can damage them. Some wheel companies use a lower temp oven when they powder coat wheels which is supposed to be better. It's very possible the aluminum rims got warped if the oven was too hot. Some wheel repair companies can true up and repair wheels, maybe ask them to talk a look. Or it's possible the tires are difficult to balance? Maybe see if you can track down a company that has a Hunter Road Force Elite balancing machine. I'd also ask the company you used if they will cover the damage if it was something they did. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
Hey ya’ll,

Looks good imo. Personally i cant keep paint on rims...

Sponsored

OP
OP

Cusumano916

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many wheel companies do not recommend powder coating alloy wheels. Heat can damage them. Some wheel companies use a lower temp oven when they powder coat wheels which is supposed to be better. It's very possible the aluminum rims got warped if the oven was too hot. Some wheel repair companies can true up and repair wheels, maybe ask them to talk a look. Or it's possible the tires are difficult to balance? Maybe see if you can track down a company that has a Hunter Road Force Elite balancing machine. I'd also ask the company you used if they will cover the damage. Good Luck.
Thank you for the advise! I appreciate it!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the advise! I appreciate it!
I am betting the tire balancing machine where you took it to is not calibrated, it's a older machine, or technician error. Definitely see if you can find a shop that has a Hunter Road Force Elite. It's unreal what these machines can balance.

https://www.hunter.com/wheel-balancers/road-force-elite

I see you are in Long Island. I did a search for Hunter dealers in Long Island with RoadForce Elite balancing machines. There should be shops by you. Here is a link to a dealer locator. Make sure you click RoadForce Elite after you enter your zip code. Or call Hunter for a recommendation. They will know who has the newest machines in your area.

https://www.hunter.com/gsp9700

Last edited:

Zita

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, JLUR
We had an issue on some powder coated wheels (on a BMW) in the past where the powder coat thickness made it impossible to completely fit the wheel over the hub. We had to slightly sand down the new coating inside the back of the wheel to get it to properly fit over the hub. That might be what's preventing a straight alignment of your mount.

OP
OP

Cusumano916

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you, I called up the shop where I got them done. They are stating that most likely is my issue. I appreciate your help!

OP
OP

Cusumano916

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am betting the tire balancing machine where you took it to is not calibrated, it's a older machine, or technician error. Definitely see if you can find a shop that has a Hunter Road Force Elite. It's unreal what these machines can balance.

https://www.hunter.com/wheel-balancers/road-force-elite

I see you are in Long Island. I did a search for Hunter dealers in Long Island with RoadForce Elite balancing machines. There should be shops by you. Here is a link to a dealer locator. Make sure you click RoadForce Elite after you enter your zip code. Or call Hunter for a recommendation. They will know who has the newest machines in your area.

https://www.hunter.com/gsp9700
Thank you very much, I’m going to go to them to get my rims balanced!

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you very much, I’m going to go to them to get my rims balanced!
I am betting it's a tire balance issue. Just make sure the shop has a Hunter Road Force Elite balancing machine. Let us know how things turn out. The wheels look great all black by the way! Good luck.

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

I powder coating mine and have 1,000 miles on them with zero issues.
IMG_4608.jpg

person500

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Moab Edition, 2018 JLU Sahara
Good luck and keep us posted! There are a lot of us out here planning to powder coat our Rubicon rims! :)

OP
OP

Cusumano916

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks great, hopefully I can figure out the issue. Right now I have over 9oz in weights on my rims

OP
OP

Cusumano916

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am betting it's a tire balance issue. Just make sure the shop has a Hunter Road Force Elite balancing machine. Let us know how things turn out. The wheels look great all black by the way! Good luck.
Thank you very much, I’ll keep everyone posted!
Sponsored