Sponsored

Jeep vs Defender

bizzle2005

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Sport S, 2005 Honda Shadow 750
I know that this is a JL forum and that we all love our JL's. But I am a little curious, if JLR sells the Landrover Defender here, how many of you would consider getting it? What do you think the impact on the jeep market would be if they do release the defender here in the states?
Sponsored

patedugan

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 80th Anniversary
I love Defenders, but my guess is they would cost quite a bit more here, for getting quite a bit less in terms of creature comforts. They're really viewed as farm vehicles over in England...not daily drivers.

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
The classic defender, I would for sure but not at the ÂŁ150,000 starting price for the 2018. That's insane, $50-60k sure.

MonkeyRider

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
New defender(2013 model) with same price tag and same features as JLUR, then I would.
But I know it's impossible to see that happen.

Last edited:

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Classic Defender is nice but I found a concept picture from back in 2012 and if this is the way it will look I'd say heck no...
upload_2018-8-15_13-9-8.png

If FCA did something like this to the Wrangler there would be riots in the street and a pile of ash where FCA headquarters once stood.
As cool as the classic Defender looks it's still not a Jeep... doors don't come off, roof doesn't come off in multiple sections, off road capability, ridiculous amounts of after market mods (eventually).
PLUS, people will think you're cool... people think people in Land Rovers are stuck up rich people who have no idea of the capabilities of what they are driving. Well now that I think about it there are plenty of Jeep owners that are the same way but at least they look cool :)

Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I love Defenders, but my guess is they would cost quite a bit more here, for getting quite a bit less in terms of creature comforts. They're really viewed as farm vehicles over in England...not daily drivers.
Keep in mind Brits don’t view Wranglers as daily drivers either. “..you might end up liking the Wrangler for what it is: a heavy-duty, go-anywhere off-roader.” British car site TopSpeed.com July 1, 2018 referring to the JL.

I think plenty of well heeled Americans would buy Defenders as daily drivers just like we common-folk do Wranglers, which will always be more of a car for the masses than the Defender due to its lower price. A vehicle is something we often buy for its image, not its intended best use.

Tex117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Unlimited Sport S (Sold); 2019 JLUR
I mean, depending on what the Defender would look like (and depending on its reliability), then yeah, Id consider it. Defenders are awesome. (As are Jeeps)

MonkeyRider

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind Brits don’t view Wranglers as daily drivers either. “..you might end up liking the Wrangler for what it is: a heavy-duty, go-anywhere off-roader.” British car site TopSpeed.com July 1, 2018 referring to the JL.

I think plenty of well heeled Americans would buy Defenders as daily drivers just like we common-folk do Wranglers, which will always be more of a car for the masses than the Defender due to its lower price. A vehicle is something we often buy for its image, not its intended best use.
Agree.
Around 5% of BMW R1200GS riders go off road.
They just want to be seen as 'adventure'.
Wrangler actually go off road more than 5% though, maybe 50% I guess?

SNies

First Name
Stefan Nies
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2015 JK CRD X-edition, Jeep Compas, Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
As an European and former Defender driver I wonder why there is such a hype for the defender in the US now: in my eyes there are just two positive points on the defender line: the simple mechanics and giant aftermarket so you can custom-build them for your needs (just like a wrangler) and the provided articulation of the standard suspension.
But there are so many negative points:
- No reliable engines and underpowered (only the petrol V8, the 300Tdi and the TD5 where somehow good)
- Oil leeks: I still have to see my first leak-free defender and driven, worked on many (there is a saying here that it is the oil level check function: when there not leaking it's time to refill; even the brand new leak in the showroom)
- water leaks, in rain and snow for sure water is coming in above the windshield.
- weak transmission: even with 33" tyres the chance that you break a driveshaft in light-offroad is great
- no comfort or room, especially with the LHD, noisy and almost no insulation
- rust issues (chassis and body)

Several people including myself are switched to other brands and people with a defender sometimes laugh here with my wrangler until they see me drive just as far they go and see me passing them on the highway (I was talking with a def-guy last week and he forbidden his son to drive faster than 100 km/h on the highway even that 120 is allowed to save his engine )

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
But I am a little curious, if JLR sells the Landrover Defender here, how many of you would consider getting it?
No Defender for me. But maybe the new Bronco if it looks like this rendering...

msc-2020broncofromtease-rt2-7-copy-1523532633.jpg

Travis2929

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Once I heard about the new defender I searched every forum to get more info. The wife is obsessed with them. All I could find is end of Q4 they will open up sales, but nothing on specs. There are a couple of defender dealers who published some info and had the option to submit email for new updates. I saw in one defender forum people are putting deposits. Other than that it has been quiet.

I've been sourcing 70-74 broncos and the pricing is unreal, starting at $75k+ with all the upgrades/repairs. Can't wait that long for the new bronco specs, but it would be rad if it looks like those renderings...

I want to get into a JL but these socal dealers are gutless bastards and won't go under MSPRP.

OP
OP
bizzle2005

bizzle2005

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Sport S, 2005 Honda Shadow 750
Once I heard about the new defender I searched every forum to get more info.
A cousin of mine is an engineer at JLR in england, apparently most of them dont know the specs on the new ones are either.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I think plenty of well heeled Americans would buy Defenders as daily drivers just like we common-folk do Wranglers, which will always be more of a car for the masses than the Defender due to its lower price.
Agreed. Some folks will buy Defenders to stand out. Wranglers are everywhere nowadays.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If you think FCA has a bad reputation for build quality, try owning a Land Rover product.

No thanks. I'd pass if they sold them here for $20,000.
Sponsored