Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Thanks, that looks great! You’ve sold me :like:
You’re welcome!

Word of advice: We applied the first coat of PlastiDip per the instructions (spray it on until it looks wet) then let it dry. It looked AMAZING. The PlastiDip smoothes itself out as it dries.

I followed the recommendation of someone else on here and tried to apply a clear coat of matte enamel after that. It RUINED it. Because of how the clear coat comes out and dries, it made the whole project look like a cheap spray paint job.

So, we applied another layer of PlastiDip over that and it seemed to cure most of the blemishes from the clear coat.

The wife and I agree. We should have just left it with one (or two if you prefer) coats of PlastiDip and it would have been perfect. I don’t recommend the clear coat.

Also, it will take a few days for the fumes to go away, lol.

GringoStar

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JL Rubicon
Installed all weather mats!
Installed door sill guards!
Had this bumping new stereo put in (dealer didn’t have a infotainment package available the way I wanted it)

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Installed a phone mount this weekend. Location and function ended up much better than I thought. Actually bought a couple different ones to try and landed with one of the simpler magnetic mounts. Doesn’t block the info screen at all, just barely blocks a part of the vent but no problems adjusting it, does block the volume knob/ rests on it a bit but that’s why I have steering wheel controls :). The mount base also has a couple pieces on each end that can bend just enough to match the slight curve at that point on the dash. Just need to figure out the best route for the cord now.

E6B82C10-28B8-4E72-9BB0-488E1BEE9136.jpeg
I have the same mount - much better location though.

upload_2018-5-22_22-41-41.png

mtomac

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL - 2017 Silverado 3500 Duramax - 17 Chevy Equinox
I did the keep the mud off the doors and steps mod

0D158F0E-CA0F-41EE-BB72-5D3420619B8C.jpeg

2DD3B3EF-A325-4F7B-AE61-0E048107DB07.jpeg

28A5E653-4DD5-4595-9E7E-2D362EC4BBE6.jpeg

BBA7085E-5193-4B06-86A5-013BE008A9F2.jpeg

35FF487C-77CB-4987-B1D8-BD9E130E4D78.jpeg

EDEA98F2-26F3-4ED8-AE80-7E32000603C8.jpeg

8D47EB1C-D881-42B6-AE36-DF01978098C0.jpeg

uudog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
You’re welcome!

Word of advice: We applied the first coat of PlastiDip per the instructions (spray it on until it looks wet) then let it dry. It looked AMAZING. The PlastiDip smoothes itself out as it dries.

I followed the recommendation of someone else on here and tried to apply a clear coat of matte enamel after that. It RUINED it. Because of how the clear coat comes out and dries, it made the whole project look like a cheap spray paint job.

So, we applied another layer of PlastiDip over that and it seemed to cure most of the blemishes from the clear coat.

The wife and I agree. We should have just left it with one (or two if you prefer) coats of PlastiDip and it would have been perfect. I don’t recommend the clear coat.

Also, it will take a few days for the fumes to go away, lol.
Looks great!

How many cans did you use and can you please post a pic of the PlastiDip can?

Also, did you install the Hot Heads while it was on the ground after it was painted?

Thanks

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Looks great!

How many cans did you use and can you please post a pic of the PlastiDip can?

Also, did you install the Hot Heads while it was on the ground after it was painted?

Thanks
Originally purchased 6 spray cans of PlastiDip. That was more than enough for the first coat. We ended up purchasing 4 additional spray cans to make sure we could do a second coat. I feel sorry for anyone who was looking for black PlastiDip in my town last weekend; I bought everyone out!

My wife applied the sound assasin strips first, then we PlastiDipped. We let the everything dry overnight, then we prepped the areas where the 3M adhesive strips would meet the top, and installed the panels.

Everything was completed with the top off. Luckily once we were finished, my neighbor came to my rescue and helped me put the top back on. It’s been raining everyday in Florida for what seems like forever, so I had to make room in the garage for both the top and the Jeep!

IMG_0489.JPG

Last edited:

uudog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Originally purchased 6 spray cans of PlastiDip. That was more than enough for the first coat. We ended up purchasing 4 additional spray cans to make sure we could do a second coat. I feel sorry for anyone who was looking for black PlastiDip in my town last weekend; I bought everyone out!

My wife applied the sound assasin strips first, then we PlastiDipped. We let the everything dry overnight, then we prepped the areas where the 3M adhesive strips would meet the top, and installed the panels.

Everything was completed with the top off. Luckily once we were finished, my neighbor came to my rescue and helped me put the top back on. It’s been raining everyday in Florida for what seems like forever, so I had to make room in the garage for both the top and the Jeep!

(Will post a pic of the PlastiDip can shortly.)

Thanks for the info...

So you PlastiDipped the area where the headliners would go, then prepped where the 3M adhesive strips go? Is that much more work, or was it easy to just peel off the section where the strips go.

Also, did you PlastiDip over the Assasin strips once they were applied?

Was the second coat only needed because of the Clear Coat snafu?