What pressure to run load range E tires

JeepingKarla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Occupation
Mothetfucker
Shop set pressure of my new KO2s at 36 psi.
They're load range E, why not run them higher, besides being stiffer ?
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Tread patch. These are 10 ply sidewalls. I ran about 28 psi in my KO2’s when I had 35’s. Any more will beat you to death and wear the tires in the middle. They are light truck tires.

OP
OP

JeepingKarla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Occupation
Mothetfucker
Tread patch. These are 10 ply sidewalls. I ran about 28 psi in my KO2’s when I had 35’s. Any more will beat you to death and wear the tires in the middle. They are light truck tires.
How about running them at 70psi ? Is the ECM or PCM going to throw a code since TPMS is higher than OEM ?

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
How about running them at 70psi ? Is the ECM or PCM going to throw a code since TPMS is higher than OEM ?
I think TPMS throws a warning light only if pressure goes below 80% of the door jam recommended pressure.

The pressure you will be comfortable running at will depend on the new tire size as well. What is the new size?

An E rated tire will have a max pressure of 80 PSI (or 65 PSI depending on the width, check the sidewall to find out). You can run it that high but it won't be comfortable at all on a Jeep because the jeep doesn't weight as much as a truck.

OP
OP

JeepingKarla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Occupation
Mothetfucker
I think TPMS throws a warning light only if pressure goes below 80% of the door jam recommended pressure.

The pressure you will be comfortable running at will depend on the new tire size as well. What is the new size?

An E rated tire will have a max pressure of 80 PSI (or 65 PSI depending on the width, check the sidewall to find out). You can run it that high but it won't be comfortable at all on a Jeep because the jeep doesn't weight as much as a truck.
Even a truck, HD won't run smooth at 75psi, trust me , comfort takes a nosedive, but tires will last longer. I understand the Wrangler is a completely different issue, I was just wondering if the increased pressure would benefit wear and traction, which it does on highway on HD trucks. Also if it would increase solidity and resistance to punctures and abrasions like it does on trucks.

Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Even a truck, HD won't run smooth at 75psi, trust me , comdort takes a nosedive, but tires will last longer. I understand the Wrangler is a completely different issue, I was just wondering if the increased pressure would benefit wear and traction, which it does on highway on HD trucks. Also if it would increase solidity and resistance to punctures and abrasions like it does on trucks.
I think a pressure that high on a Jeep would cause them to wear unevenly, with especially high wear in the centre of the tires.

OP
OP

JeepingKarla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Occupation
Mothetfucker
I think a pressure that high on a Jeep would cause them to wear unevenly, with especially high wear in the centre of the tires.
I probably agree with you, I'd say 8500lbs truck vs 4300lbs of the JLU might be an issue for keeping pressure at or above 70lbs