Placed order for JL

Fiteacher

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram1500
Went to the dealer yesterday and placed an order for a new JL. Went through the build with the dealer. Built a sport s, Willy's & Rubicon. I ended up getting the Rubicon because keep jeep isforcing you to get options that mark up the price of it. I guess because they can. Like others have mentioned, when you get the keyless proximity entry option, it forces you yep to select premium upper or lower doors. But the time you add a lift, get bigger tires & new wheels, the sport would be more than the Rubicon (forced to get the extreme recon PKG).

So, I got the Rubicon.

Sales guy said it'll take about 12 weeks. That takes us into the end of October. Fingers crossed.

First Wrangler.
Sponsored

Cowboy from hell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Rubicon hydro pearl 6 speed
Congratulations! I think its utterly ridiculous and unfair that when a person wants a special order of their choosing, the mother ship forces you to buy this for that and you can't get this unless you buy these! If Im reading your post right, you had to buy the recon Extreme package? and they told you you had to buy the two different doors for the keyless entry??! Dude what the he'll is going on?
I ordered a 2 Dr Rubicon 6 speed and kept it completely bare bones. I wanted a blank canvas and also wanted to keep price down as much as possible. I want to modify my jeep my way with my extra money I saved from Not buying all the must have electrical doo-dads. I think its a big game each dealer plays....I talked to 3 different dealers about my build and each one was telling me I must buy something different from each guys mouth!...one guy was like yeah if you want the tow package, you have to add the proximity keys....why?! What the hell does the tow package have to do with door locks? Am I right?...
Next year their going to say must buy a hemi v8 if you want a Rubicon...oh and you have to lift it and put big tires on too!....$$$$$ recon package oh and you need ........you get the idea

OP
OP
Fiteacher

Fiteacher

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram1500
Congratulations! I think its utterly ridiculous and unfair that when a person wants a special order of their choosing, the mother ship forces you to buy this for that and you can't get this unless you buy these! If Im reading your post right, you had to buy the recon Extreme package? and they told you you had to buy the two different doors for the keyless entry??! Dude what the he'll is going on?
I ordered a 2 Dr Rubicon 6 speed and kept it completely bare bones. I wanted a blank canvas and also wanted to keep price down as much as possible. I want to modify my jeep my way with my extra money I saved from Not buying all the must have electrical doo-dads. I think its a big game each dealer plays....I talked to 3 different dealers about my build and each one was telling me I must buy something different from each guys mouth!...one guy was like yeah if you want the tow package, you have to add the proximity keys....why?! What the hell does the tow package have to do with door locks? Am I right?...
Next year their going to say must buy a hemi v8 if you want a Rubicon...oh and you have to lift it and put big tires on too!....$$$$$ recon package oh and you need ........you get the idea
Yes on the recon package to get a 21 rubi. I thought the recon pkg was for the 22 model. Guess not.

The doors was if I would have gone with the sport, it was going to make me buy the doors because I wanted the keyless proximity entry.

I don't see myself off roading much and definitely won't be doing large trails as it will be my daily driver & don't want to be a newbie jacking up my expensive ride.

Couldn't believe I was forced to do recon PKG but whatever. I'll probably love it tho. Haha.

rodneyladd

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon XR
We ordered a 2021 Rubicon with the xtreme recon package and all the goodies on 7/23/21. Got my VON & VIN later the same day. Dealer said 12 weeks...I'm keeping my fingers crossed

OP
OP
Fiteacher

Fiteacher

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram1500
Salesman put mine in today. Hopefully I'll get the VON & VIN Monday or Tuesday.

Sponsored

Cowboy from hell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Rubicon hydro pearl 6 speed
Yes on the recon package to get a 21 rubi. I thought the recon pkg was for the 22 model. Guess not.

The doors was if I would have gone with the sport, it was going to make me buy the doors because I wanted the keyless proximity entry.

I don't see myself off roading much and definitely won't be doing large trails as it will be my daily driver & don't want to be a newbie jacking up my expensive ride.

Couldn't believe I was forced to do recon PKG but whatever. I'll probably love it tho. Haha.
You bought a Rubicon with the recon package and you don't plan on off roading?....you could have saved thousands and bought a sport or Willys or Sahara....Rubicon are the Billy goat of the SUV world. To each their own I guess........enjoy your new mall crawler

OP
OP
Fiteacher

Fiteacher

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram1500
You bought a Rubicon with the recon package and you don't plan on off roading?....you could have saved thousands and bought a sport or Willys or Sahara....Rubicon are the Billy goat of the SUV world. To each their own I guess........enjoy your new mall crawler
I probably will deserve that label. Yet you didn't read or ignored that I said I'd likely do some off roading just not the crazy kind that puts my daily driver out of commission if I F up.

The point of my post was to inform others what jeep was doing by forcing certain packages on certain trims. As I mentioned, there were things that they tried to make you get on the sport & things I wanted but couldn't get. Building the Willy's was worse. The sport was going to be about $4,500 less than the Rubicon with recon so I said hell, might as well do the rubi for just a bit more. Resell value will likely be better one day down the road too.

I don't go to the mall as I shop online. But the great thing is, you can run your railroad or farm Cowboy & I will run mine.

Thanks for chiming in though.

Dougehr2

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 jk 2021 jl 2 door rubicon
Occupation
Mechanic
Went to the dealer yesterday and placed an order for a new JL. Went through the build with the dealer. Built a sport s, Willy's & Rubicon. I ended up getting the Rubicon because keep jeep isforcing you to get options that mark up the price of it. I guess because they can. Like others have mentioned, when you get the keyless proximity entry option, it forces you yep to select premium upper or lower doors. But the time you add a lift, get bigger tires & new wheels, the sport would be more than the Rubicon (forced to get the extreme recon PKG).

So, I got the Rubicon.

Sales guy said it'll take about 12 weeks. That takes us into the end of October. Fingers crossed.

First Wrangler.
Just picked mine up last week. It took 8 weeks so hopefully you get yours sooner too.

Come2elmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Chev 2500 HD, 16 Chevy Burb

So, I got the Rubicon.

First Wrangler.
I just went through the process of ordering a JLURD and one dealer in TX tacked on some items saying they were required and the one in TN I went with built mine to spec without any adders first time around. When I told the other dealer the other guy didn’t add stuff the adders magically went away after he called the the Jeep district rep. Left a bad taste in my mouth So going with the TN dealer was an easy call. Plus they were 2k less then the TX dealer. I won’t even go into the 2k “protection package” a local dealer put on their bid. Protection of his commission Maybe.

OP
OP
Fiteacher

Fiteacher

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram1500
I just went through the process of ordering a JLURD and one dealer in TX tacked on some items saying they were required and the one in TN I went with built mine to spec without any adders first time around. When I told the other dealer the other guy didn’t add stuff the adders magically went away after he called the the Jeep district rep. Left a bad taste in my mouth So going with the TN dealer was an easy call. Plus they were 2k less then the TX dealer. I won’t even go into the 2k “protection package” a local dealer put on their bid. Protection of his commission Maybe.
That's pretty shady. They're making a ton of money on jeeps these days. It doesn't take much effort really. Greedy sales person.

When I sat with the sales guy, at whatever point the recon package popped up as a required option. Wish I knew about calling the district rep. I would have to believe they could've changed that add on.

Wonder if it can still be done. If so, I wonder if the best way would be to call the sales guy or someone at jeep?

Sponsored

jeeeeeeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Same experience as you - "Oh, this option is required for Rubicons now..." "This package is required if you want ___."

I asked one dealer if I could get the tan soft top in a dual top package and the "only way" they were able to do that is to charge me for the dual top group and a painted hard top...??? How the??? Hard no.

Sent my build specs to Gupton and got no garbage...

Come2elmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Chev 2500 HD, 16 Chevy Burb
That's pretty shady. They're making a ton of money on jeeps these days. It doesn't take much effort really. Greedy sales person.

When I sat with the sales guy, at whatever point the recon package popped up as a required option. Wish I knew about calling the district rep. I would have to believe they could've changed that add on.

Wonder if it can still be done. If so, I wonder if the best way would be to call the sales guy or someone at jeep?
I would bounce the exact build off of gupton And see if they come back with required options. That would set the bar in my opinion.

OP
OP
Fiteacher

Fiteacher

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram1500
I would bounce the exact build off of gupton And see if they come back with required options. That would set the bar in my opinion.
I called today and asked a guy if they are getting the Xtreme recon pkg requirement and he said yes, they're requiring it on the v6's now.

I contemplate on whether or not to cancel the order and try to build a Sahara or wait it out until next year.
Sponsored