K-nuk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, CJ7
Fantastic thread all.

1. Is the general consensus that the factory half doors are better than anything after-market?
  2. It looks like deliveries with half doors are no longer delayed. Some of you are getting them in about 6 weeks, correct?
Well I think @ShaunBJeeps is the lucky one! Most see about 15 days longer with the half doors. That was my experience. Mine is now shipping with ETA end of June which will make it 8 weeks.
Sponsored

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
Well I think @ShaunBJeeps is the lucky one! Most see about 15 days longer with the half doors. That was my experience. Mine is now shipping with ETA end of June which will make it 8 weeks.
Thanks. Did you do any research on after market half doors? Are there any that are comparable to OEM?

K-nuk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, CJ7
Thanks. Did you do any research on after market half doors? Are there any that are comparable to OEM?
this is just my $0.02….

There is nothing like the OEM doors and the OEM doors are extremely expensive.

But value depends on what you want them for... I have a great set of tube door but living in Florida I want some thing to deal with the ever present and sudden rain storms. Tube doors are awesome but do nothing for rain.

There are aftermarket half doors with uppers but to me they look crappy.

So I went with the $4K OEM doors.

I don’t have my new Jeep yet so can’t comment on actual experience with them.

like I said, just my $0.02… YMMV.

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
this is just my $0.02….

There is nothing like the OEM doors and the OEM doors are extremely expensive.

But value depends on what you want them for... I have a great set of tube door but living in Florida I want some thing to deal with the ever present and sudden rain storms. Tube doors are awesome but do nothing for rain.

There are aftermarket half doors with uppers but to me they look crappy.

So I went with the $4K OEM doors.

I don’t have my new Jeep yet so can’t comment on actual experience with them.

like I said, just my $0.02… YMMV.
I'm in the same boat. I looked at after market half doors, and I agree they all look crappy (although someone please correct me if I'm missing something).

I also live in Florida. Sounds like we're speaking the same language brotha.

K-nuk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, CJ7
I'm in the same boat. I looked at after market half doors, and I agree they all look crappy (although someone please correct me if I'm missing something).

I also live in Florida. Sounds like we're speaking the same language brotha.
Yup! I plan to try to build something in the back, or maybe buy the stuffy enclosure, to keep the uppers with me. If it starts to rain (heavy) I’ll pull over and drop in the uppers.

Well, that’s my plan anyway 😂

Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I’m the first person on this forum to get half doors. My reasoning was to be able to button up the front for rain showers or a blast down the freeway on a cold morning headed to the trail.

On the trail they are better than full doors but not as good as no doors. On the freeway they are much better than no doors but not as good as full doors.

They are crazy light and look great. I wish they had a catch to hold the door open. My favorite thing is the height is perfect to rest your arm on for me at 6’ or my wife at 5’-4”.

We don’t have any issues seeing out of them, but as they age I’m sure there will be.

No regerts here!

taxjoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-door Wrangler Rubicon (ordered 4/3/21)
I ordered my 2-door Rubicon on Saturday, April 3, 2021, and it was delivered to the dealer on Friday, June 11, 2021, and I picked it up from the dealer on Saturday, June 12, 2021, exactly 10 weeks (70 days) after I ordered it. A few more pics are posted here. Sorry, I inserted the pics in the middle of my message.

Thankfully, it came will all of the loose parts, including a full, very thick, owner's manual as well as the quick guide manual and that green bag to store all of these manuals. I also received the "Jeep" rubber receiver hitch plug (that has a strap so you don't lose it which was cool), the shrink wrap kit for splicing wires, the cover for the active cruise control sensor when you lower the windshield, and the freedom panel storage bag. I ordered the grab handle kit but those were not installed. I elected to install them myself instead of the dealer. I ordered the Jeep trail kit which comes with the "snatch cord," gloves, a huge and heavy "D" hook, and a nice bright red bag. It was in a box and had stickers on it that it was manufactured by Warn. I ordered the plastic door sill guards and those were installed by the factory (I was afraid they would not be).

My Jeep also came with the locking lug nuts. I had the dealer install them but, once I saw them, I thought they looked terrible. The locking lug nuts were too tall and stuck out like a sore thumb. So, I put the original lug nuts back on except for the spare tire. I think it looks tacky on the spare tire also but I will live with it on the spare. I'll get a spare tire cover.

I ordered the hard top headliner and was surprised at how quiet it is on the highway. To me, these headliners are a required option for people who order the hardtop.

Interestingly, my Jeep did not come with a window sticker (I did get my window sticker from crypto). I was very disappointed (I liked the "made especially for" language on the window sticker). My dealer says Jeep is mailing the window stickers to dealers now. I didn't believe him until he walked me over to a desk where he had a stack of large manilla envelopes, opened one and it was a window sticker for a recently delivered Jeep. Strange. Hopefully I will receive mine in a few days.

Of course, immediately when I arrived home I opened the fuse box under the hood. To my surprise, all fuses and relays were fully seated in their sockets.

I ordered the upper body side graphic decal and I wondered whether the half doors would also include the graphic decal. As you can see from the picture, it does not. However, if you go on the Jeep website configurator (sp?)
Jeep Wrangler JL Orders with half doors on delay jeep-half-door
Jeep Wrangler JL Orders with half doors on delay Jeep-1
Jeep Wrangler JL Orders with half doors on delay Jeep-2
Jeep Wrangler JL Orders with half doors on delay Jeep-3
it shows the decal on the half doors. My dealer thinks Jeep will pay for the install of the graphic on my half doors.

I absolutely love my Jeep and really like the snazzberry color. A lot darker than it appears on the Jeep website (IMO) and I like that. The metallic really sparkles.

I don't plan to do many modifications. I have to exchange the Rubicon rock rails for the side step. My wife is 4' 10" (on a good day) and she needs the step. We ordered the premium soft top to use from time to time. I am also installing the tailgate table and probably the EZTrunk lockable storage, sunrider top, the hood struts, the Smitty soft top cover, and maybe the cold air intake (if anyone can definitively say that it will fit the etorque V6 with automatic trans).

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Fantastic thread all.

1. Is the general consensus that the factory half doors are better than anything after-market?
Great question. Short answer is YES. Before my JL with half doors, I’ve been driving a JK with half doors for 13 years.

BENEFITS I CAN THINK OF:
  • The factory half doors have side impact beams protecting passengers from side impact like full doors do. NO aftermarket product has this. In particular of interest if you have kids.
  • The factory half doors are thick like the full doors so interior feels natural. All aftermarket options are “thin” (I’m thinking aftermarket half doors and tube doors) feeling like something is missing on the sides with huge gaps. I’m not sure how to explain this.
  • The factory half doors come with uppers which are easily stored in trunk and leave plenty of space. I would simply tack them alternating direction… no bags or other contraptions needed (based on my 13 years of experience with JK. I haven’t unpacked JL half doors yet)
  • The JL uppers unlike the JK uppers or any aftermarket options have uppers that are adjustable to prevent water/rain leaks.
  • I imagine You can lock the factory half doors with you FOB… and adjust the mirrors using the buttons unless it is manual
  • The mirrors are solid. Aftermarket options I’ve seen the mirrors vibrate while driving making it difficult to see through them.
  • It is quick and easy to rain proof your Jeep while on the go as conditions change. For Current aftermarket options you need to plan for the day before you leave home. If it’s going to rain then you gotta switch doors before you leave and not use half/tube doors. Exception may be Bestop soft doors with uppers if available yet.
IN A NUTSHELL:

Half doors are more if you want to put them on for the entire summer and forget about it. And feel inside like you have “real” doors on.

If the half doors don’t give you enough of an open feeling and you are ok with taking time before you leave home to switch doors with tools and committing to your choice for the day (rain or no rain) then maybe tube doors or no doors are more for you.

If you want half doors, not tube doors, and looking to save money then there are or will be alternatives but with compromises.

Kfoo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
  • The factory half doors come with uppers which are easily stored in trunk and leave plenty of space. I would simply tack them alternating direction… no bags or other contraptions needed (based on my 13 years of experience with JK. I haven’t unpacked JL half doors yet)
  • The JL uppers unlike the JK uppers or any aftermarket options have uppers that are adjustable to prevent water/rain leaks.
  • I imagine You can lock the factory half doors with you FOB… and adjust the mirrors using the buttons unless it is manual
  • It is quick and easy to rain proof your Jeep while on the go as conditions change. For Current aftermarket options you need to plan for the day before you leave home. If it’s going to rain then you gotta switch doors before you leave and not use half/tube doors. Exception may be Bestop soft doors with uppers if available yet.
Just to chime in, I can confirm all of these. I've been running my half doors pretty much since I got the jeep (about 2 weeks). I've even driven one way with the uppers off and returned with the uppers on due to unexpected rain.

Obviously everyone has a different financial situation, but if I were to do it again, I would 100% get the half doors again.

As a side note, I was browsing quadratec and saw that they have the half door shells available. You'll need to paint and probably do something to key them to your jeep, but it may be an alternative if you are not dead set on getting them.

ВџУМεΆј℮℮℗

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMC GREMLIN, GMC SIERRA, 21 WILLYS
I was in the process of finally putting on my half doors but I had to quit because of the rain so I only got one side on but now I need to adjust the window. But it seems like the paint is not an exact match. At least with it sitting in the garage. I'm not going to worry about it. I don't think there's anything that dealer could do anyway.

Sponsored

Kfoo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I was in the process of finally putting on my half doors but I had to quit because of the rain so I only got one side on but now I need to adjust the window. But it seems like the paint is not an exact match. At least with it sitting in the garage. I'm not going to worry about it. I don't think there's anything that dealer could do anyway.
You could try contacting jeep. It doesn't seem right that something coming straight from the factory isn't the correct paint.

ВџУМεΆј℮℮℗

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMC GREMLIN, GMC SIERRA, 21 WILLYS
Well finally after from 3-27 maybe till June 6th.. and here it is finally with the half doors. Okay I couldn't wait till morning. Not to mention in the morning there's going to be eight million bugs on it by the time I get to work and it's light out.
Jeep Wrangler JL Orders with half doors on delay 20210615_211054

taxjoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-door Wrangler Rubicon (ordered 4/3/21)
Well finally after from 3-27 maybe till June 6th.. and here it is finally with the half doors. Okay I couldn't wait till morning. Not to mention in the morning there's going to be eight million bugs on it by the time I get to work and it's light out.
Jeep Wrangler JL Orders with half doors on delay 20210615_211054
This looks fantastic. The fit of the doors and uppers looks good to me. At least from this shot, I can't tell any difference in the shade of paint. Really like the contrast of the red paint and the black wheels, black grill, and the black top and uppers.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
How does the Jeep come delivered? I assume the full doors are installed and the half doors are... what? In boxes (I hope)?

I ask because I'm probably ordering mine from a dealer that's 500 miles away, so I'll need to drive home with 4 extra doors inside the Jeep.

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
How does the Jeep come delivered? I assume the full doors are installed and the half doors are... what? In boxes (I hope)?

I ask because I'm probably ordering mine from a dealer that's 500 miles away, so I'll need to drive home with 4 extra doors inside the Jeep.
It’s all in this thread. Scroll up. Here is my post summarizing my experience:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/orders-with-half-doors-on-delay.71990/post-1540802

I did that last weekend. Drove 500 miles from the dealer home like this.
Sponsored