OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I bought the good ol M8000-s warn. Plenty big enough for a 4door.
Sponsored

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
I went with the Smittybilt XRC9500 with synthetic rope for a couple reasons. First, and most importantly, it is only 46 pounds. I want to add as little weight as possible, especially with something I'll rarely use, but will carry around all the time. Secondly, it has one of the best warranties in the business. Third, I got a Black Friday deal. It was under 300 bucks shipped, with synthetic line. It is also waterproof.
Did you have that one on your JK? If so, how’s it holding up against the elements? I’m worried about having a rust ball attached to the front of my keep, especially living in sticky SC

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you buy from? Have you seen any other good deals since your purchased yours? Like you it will only be a "just in case" item, I hate to spend a grand on the Zeon of I can get a good midrange for less than 400 bucks
The best I've seen other than Black Friday has probably been 4wd Hardware or 4wd Parts 10% off Smittybilt. I may have seen 20% at some point, but I'm just not sure about my memory on that.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you have that one on your JK? If so, how’s it holding up against the elements? I’m worried about having a rust ball attached to the front of my keep, especially living in sticky SC
No, I have the Engo that was in the old review referred to earlier. It has always sounded like a grinding bag of shit, but it has never failed. It has some rust on the control lever, and on the spool, but it hasn't caused any issues. I'll probably sand the spool down and paint it and get a new rope for it at some point.

I have not mounted the Smittybilt yet. I just got the JCR mount last week. I'll install it on the first warm weekend I get when I'm not exhausted from work. That shouldn't be too long. I'll post pics when I get it on there.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was originally planning on the Smittybilt XRC9500, now I'm considering the other end of the price spectrum in the Warn 9.0Rc. Its a competition rock crawling winch. Weighs 54lbs, holds 50ft of synthetic rope. I'll carry a 50ft synthetic extension if I go that route.

My only issue with the Smittybilt is the drum brake. That is only a problem if you need to winch out, lower yourself down something. Drum brakes generate heat in the drum when winching out. I think Warn has the best brake design.
Actually, there is another brand (I can't remember which) that has the only brake design that doesn't generate heat. All the others do. However, it isn't a problem with the rope sleeve that comes with the Smittybilt and most others. The sleeve is more than enough to protect it, even from a long run. It really is a non-issue.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Update...I now remember which winch has the dynamic braking system which stays 66% cooler, according to the manufactureer, when under load. Ready for this? Smittybilt Gen 2 X20 Comp, which is the one with synthetic rope.

Still, if you select a winch that does not, just make sure the sheath is on the rope where it contacts the drum, and you'll be fine, especially with the typical short work Jeeps do with their winches. I've never had an issue with the heat on my Engo degrading the rope, and it gets pretty hot, quickly.

Sponsored

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed this Warn 10s in only an hour with a Rusty's plate.

8PEf94wGFDhvzZxO1od8zkDlg1miDONb2qqxtN4KSgzFZCT6JEFz5YurDT3pKS27W9OPusFK5rvVCmwnmc=w1688-h949-no.jpg

mnrafter

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mcneils.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2013 Jeep JKU Rubicon, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
Occupation
Special Procedures Radiologic Technologist
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed this Warn 10s in only an hour with a Rusty's plate.

8PEf94wGFDhvzZxO1od8zkDlg1miDONb2qqxtN4KSgzFZCT6JEFz5YurDT3pKS27W9OPusFK5rvVCmwnmc=w1688-h949-no.jpg
Hey...did your Rusty plate come with everything you needed to install on the bumper? Meaning..did it come with the mounting plate and the plate for attaching the fair lead?

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey...did your Rusty plate come with everything you needed to install on the bumper? Meaning..did it come with the mounting plate and the plate for attaching the fair lead?
Yes it had everything including new hardware.
Sponsored