Headlight Aiming Information

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
  • Banned
This info will come in handy after tall tire install and your headlights need re-aiming.

JL Headlight Adjustment:
Looking down at the adjuster's, you turn them clockwise (turn to the right) to go UP and counter clockwise (turn to the left) to go DOWN.

adjuster.JPG

The video will show you where the headlight aiming adjustment screws are on the JL/JlU.

You will also learn grill removal and headlight assembly removal.

If you just want headlight aiming info, fast forward in video to 8:53 min. mark.

Sponsored

Last edited:

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
This is good info everyone needs to check out and do on their rigs after lifting them, more so if you’ve got the LED package. If you don’t you’re going to be throwing light into the eyes of on coming drivers blinding them. You’ll also get sick of having drivers flash you thinking you have your high beams on. My wife deals with that all the time in her lifted Ram 2500.

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
This info will come in handy after tall tire install and your headlights need re-aiming.

The video will show you where the headlight aiming adjustment screws are on the JL/JlU.

You will also learn grill removal and headlight assembly removal.

If you just want headlight aiming info, fast forward in video to 8:53 min. mark.

Would i need to do this after slapping on 33's on my sport w/out lift?

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
  • Banned
Probably. Just find a flat area with a wall in front of it and go for it. Not hard to adjust.

JL Headlight Adjustment:
Looking down at the adjuster's , you turn them clockwise (turn to the right) to go UP and counter clockwise (turn to the left) to go DOWN.

adjuster.JPG

Here you can find in regard to aiming a vehicle's headlights:
http://www.jwspeaker.com/blog/how-to-aim-headlights-driving-beam-or-high-beam-headlights/

Last edited:

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I would say it’s not really necessary if all you’re changing are the tires. At most you’re maybe putting an 1”-1.5” in height under the Jeep depending on what kind you tires you started with. While that might seem like cause for needing to, remember you’re not changing the factory rake so any potential change to the where the headlights project light will be minimal at best. Where you run into problems is when you do a leveling or lift which changes the factory rake and ultimately changing where the projecting light and requiring you to re-aim them.

Like FatBoy said, it’s not all that hard, but then it’s also not that necessary in your situation.

Sponsored

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
So glad I found this. Really annoyed by the flashing i get all the time :). No worries no more!

DirtRoad1981

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU SPORT
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
Heck yea! Had a jacka££ swerve in my lane the other night and almost run me off the road. I kinda figured my headlights would rise a little with a 2.5 lift but not that much. I guess I was the jacka££ in the situation. But come swerving into my lane we’re gonna pass each other in a matter of seconds anyways

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
So glad I found this. Really annoyed by the flashing i get all the time :). No worries no more!
My Rubicon is still bone stock (LED package) and I get flashed, constantly. I know I’m being passive aggressive, but I’ve taken to flashing back so they can see “it gets a whole lot brighter, bud!”

I’m going to check my aim, though it seems odd that’d be off from the factory.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
6mm hex bit on a ratchet with an extension. Easy peasy. If you have a garage, the door will make a good backdrop to aim them against.

Reactions: J0E

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
6mm hex bit on a ratchet with an extension. Easy peasy. If you have a garage, the door will make a good backdrop to aim them against.
Yes, easy to adjust...

Hint..... Mark the adjuster with 2 dots of ink, before you make an adjustment. This way, you know where you started and can get back to the original adjustment.... back to square one should you want to.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get flashed every time I drive my Rubicon at night so last night I adjusted my headlights down 1.5 full turns. This morning...not a single flash. Finally some peace while driving.
How did you come up with 1.5 turns? By aiming, or just a W.A.G.? I need to do this, too.

Reactions: J0E

eaglesjw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon; 2014 Road King
How did you come up with 1.5 turns? By aiming, or just a W.A.G.? I need to do this, too.
Trial and error. I did 1 full turn and then went for a test drive. I got flashed once and still didn't like how the lights were hitting parked cars in the neighborhood so I went back and did another half turn. Haven't had any problems since. Not very technical but it seems to have worked.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trial and error. I did 1 full turn and then went for a test drive. I got flashed once and still didn't like how the lights were hitting parked cars in the neighborhood so I went back and did another half turn. Haven't had any problems since. Not very technical but it seems to have worked.
Marked my adjustment screws with white-out and backed them off 1.5 turns. Thank you for sharing and saving me the hassle of running my own experiment! I suppose if I get flashed, again, I'll make my dealer adjust them. I can't be bothered to find somewhere that's flat, that will let me pull right up to a wall, and that will then let me back up 25 feet.

eaglesjw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon; 2014 Road King
Marked my adjustment screws with white-out and backed them off 1.5 turns. Thank you for sharing and saving me the hassle of running my own experiment! I suppose if I get flashed, again, I'll make my dealer adjust them. I can't be bothered to find somewhere that's flat, that will let me pull right up to a wall, and that will then let me back up 25 feet.
FYI...I have a Rubicon with stock tires and no lift. It might be a little different depending on your setup.
Sponsored