I'm stuck - need help getting pulled through

agordon117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR HellaYella
yes, I do understand it. my point is, if you're on asphalt and you are in a situation where you need 4wd, probably going 70mph around a turn isn't your best option anyway. I'm not saying full time is a trivial benefit, I'm saying part time is not completely useless on road like is being implied. If you need it, you can use it if you do it properly. If you want the rubicon, don't skip out on it just for the full time 4wd option. It's silly unless you constantly are in conditions that are perfect, then crap, then perfect, then crap multiple times every single time you get into the car. The car isn't going to fall apart if you have 4wd engaged around mild turns unless you shouldn't have had 4wd engaged in the first place. And if you're constantly making sharp turns on clean roads, full time 4wd wouldn't have been engaged anyway.

I just don't see that it's worth giving up the car you want for slightly less work engaging and disengaging 4wd when you need it. The benefit is there, sure. The question is, does the OP want a rubicon, or not a rubicon? There's no middle ground. Anything else is just a sport or sahara with takeoffs on it. That may come off as elitist, which I'm not intending to be, but the decision has to be made on which pieces of the look are most important. Unless you find a takeoff hood, which is unlikely this early in the life cycle of the JL, you simply can't complete the look. There were a lot of places that tried to imitate the anniversary hood on the JK, and none of them actually had the aggressive look. It just looked like someone added a few extra bumps on the hood. None of them captured the essence of the anniversary hood.

Now, if the OP managed to find a takeoff hood from a rubicon in the right color before ordering, then by all means, go ahead and order a sahara with selec trac if that's what you want. Then you could have the best of both. Someone, somewhere ordered a rubicon for the electronic diff locks and sway bar disconnect that didn't like the hood. The trick is finding that person and convincing them to trade hoods without alerting anyone else to the trade.

I keep reading this over and it sounds like I'm trying to be an elitist prick. I'm really not, I swear. I'm just horrible at conveying tone via text.

TL:DR If the OP just wants rims and the bumpers, a Sahara would do fine. If the OP wants the whole rubicon look, then a decision has to be made between form and function.
Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
yes, I do understand it. my point is, if you're on asphalt and you are in a situation where you need 4wd, probably going 70mph around a turn isn't your best option anyway. I'm not saying full time is a trivial benefit, I'm saying part time is not completely useless on road like is being implied. If you need it, you can use it if you do it properly. If you want the rubicon, don't skip out on it just for the full time 4wd option. It's silly unless you constantly are in conditions that are perfect, then crap, then perfect, then crap multiple times every single time you get into the car. The car isn't going to fall apart if you have 4wd engaged around mild turns unless you shouldn't have had 4wd engaged in the first place. And if you're constantly making sharp turns on clean roads, full time 4wd wouldn't have been engaged anyway.

I just don't see that it's worth giving up the car you want for slightly less work engaging and disengaging 4wd when you need it. The benefit is there, sure. The question is, does the OP want a rubicon, or not a rubicon? There's no middle ground. Anything else is just a sport or sahara with takeoffs on it. That may come off as elitist, which I'm not intending to be, but the decision has to be made on which pieces of the look are most important. Unless you find a takeoff hood, which is unlikely this early in the life cycle of the JL, you simply can't complete the look. There were a lot of places that tried to imitate the anniversary hood on the JK, and none of them actually had the aggressive look. It just looked like someone added a few extra bumps on the hood. None of them captured the essence of the anniversary hood.

Now, if the OP managed to find a takeoff hood from a rubicon in the right color before ordering, then by all means, go ahead and order a sahara with selec trac if that's what you want. Then you could have the best of both. Someone, somewhere ordered a rubicon for the electronic diff locks and sway bar disconnect that didn't like the hood. The trick is finding that person and convincing them to trade hoods without alerting anyone else to the trade.

I keep reading this over and it sounds like I'm trying to be an elitist prick. I'm really not, I swear. I'm just horrible at conveying tone via text.

TL:DR If the OP just wants rims and the bumpers, a Sahara would do fine. If the OP wants the whole rubicon look, then a decision has to be made between form and function.

I don't think you're coming off as an elitist prick. Actually, quite the contrary: an elitist would say you only get the Rubi for it's hardware, and only posers buy it for the look. You are a bit obsessed with that hood, though...which can be ordered either from JPP (the actual Rubi hood) or any number of aftermarketers in all sorts of finishes. (If I do wind up with a Rubi, I would happily trade the hood for a Sahara, if only to get rid of those awful, in your face decals. RUBICON!!!

4WD aside (and you make your point with that), a more aggressive Rubicon look (or even badder) can be easily achieved in the aftermarket, and over time, at less cost. The Selec-Trac cannot be achieved in the aftermarket (at least not without swapping out the entire running gear which just isn't cost feasible) and is just waaay more everyday friendly. This is the reason AWD was invented.

A Sahara is lighter and cheaper, and will fit all of the OP's needs. The look can easily be tweaked later. And if you love the red dash, hell, half the Rubi owners on here would happily trade theirs for the black leatherette that comes with the Sahara.

sahara lift.jpg
This is JLWranglerforums member JeepJL's new Sahara. Looks pretty badass and that's just with tires/rims and a lift. Getting a Rubicon's running gear, which is something you'll never see or use, just for the looks of the wrapper they come in is a waste.
To each Jeeper his/her own, but this is the best advice that I can give. OP will take it or leave it, and we'll all drive away happy...:like:

agordon117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR HellaYella
That does look really badass, no arguments from me. But that's the thing about Jeeps. The fact that they look badass isn't linked to whether or not they have all of the rubicon parts on them. There are thousands of different ways to make each jeep badass in their own way. Which brings us back to the look. The rubicon look is very distinctive. If "badass" is all that's required, psh, that's easy with any trim level.

And yes, I really do love the power dome hood. Without it the JK is just too bland to me, and to me it takes the JL *that* much further towards looking the way it should as a Jeep. I had already settled on a Jeep before I discovered the Anniversary/X/Hard Rock package, but once I saw it there was no going back.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Do you understand how part time 4wd works? I think your posts are implying a near-understanding at best. Turns cause part time to bind, and that includes gradual turns. The benefit to the daily driver of the available full time system in the Sahara is not trivial.
But that's just it - The OP said it was not for a daily driver. So he has more flexibility and the compromises of the Rubicon for daily use don't apply.

Yo Sam

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Altitude
All things to all Jeepers, get the Rubicon. However I've used the cheapest JK (only option a/c) to get just about anywhere. Just add better tires! LOL!

Sponsored

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase

I don't think you're coming off as an elitist prick. Actually, quite the contrary: an elitist would say you only get the Rubi for it's hardware, and only posers buy it for the look. You are a bit obsessed with that hood, though...which can be ordered either from JPP (the actual Rubi hood) or any number of aftermarketers in all sorts of finishes. (If I do wind up with a Rubi, I would happily trade the hood for a Sahara, if only to get rid of those awful, in your face decals. RUBICON!!!

4WD aside (and you make your point with that), a more aggressive Rubicon look (or even badder) can be easily achieved in the aftermarket, and over time, at less cost. The Selec-Trac cannot be achieved in the aftermarket (at least not without swapping out the entire running gear which just isn't cost feasible) and is just waaay more everyday friendly. This is the reason AWD was invented.

A Sahara is lighter and cheaper, and will fit all of the OP's needs. The look can easily be tweaked later. And if you love the red dash, hell, half the Rubi owners on here would happily trade theirs for the black leatherette that comes with the Sahara.

sahara lift.jpg
This is JLWranglerforums member JeepJL's new Sahara. Looks pretty badass and that's just with tires/rims and a lift. Getting a Rubicon's running gear, which is something you'll never see or use, just for the looks of the wrapper they come in is a waste.
To each Jeeper his/her own, but this is the best advice that I can give. OP will take it or leave it, and we'll all drive away happy...:like:
But notice he is not showing you the hood! Sorry, I had to do it.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Hi All,

Really grateful I found this place, you guys are great. So much good information and willingness to share here.
A little history - I had a CJ7 back in the day, missed having a Jeep for a long time. Last year I took the plunge and purchased a Smoky Mountain Unlimited. I ended up giving it to me daughter as a university graduation present, she loves it.

I have two issues -

I am not a huge fan of big cars and the Jeep is a good size for me and a great vehicle. I have a pretty full garage but I enjoy having a Jeep in the stable For me a Jeep is not a daily driver its just something different. I will likely never take it off road but once or twice a year, (sorry, just being honest). I was going to but a Sahara but damn the Rubicons just look so much better to my eye. I know they are heavier, noisier, a little rougher but who cares they look better, right. SO - Do I go for the Rubicon or the Sahara, is the Rubicon not the right fit at the end of the day??

Color - I am thinking of checking lots of boxes either way, (4cyl, auto, wheels, LED, Safety, remote entry, cold weather, UConnect, leather, headliner) I would order painted fenders on any color. The two colors I am stuck between are Sting Grey or Mojito. Color is a personal choice, both have their benefits but with these two colors I think the Sting grey looks best with the black top and the green likely with a painted top. What say you all?

If I get a Rubicon I will put side steps of some type sidesteps but other than that I don't see adding much to either. Sad but true.

Just a newbie and looking for some insights, thx
Look at the Rubicon based RECON. I think it will check all your boxes and you will save some money because options are bundled.

Never mind…just realized how old this thread is.
Sponsored