Test drove Land Rover Defender

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I think the Defender would be great for the type off moderate off-roading I do...,but LR unreliability is too risky. FCA is poor...LR is worse because of how expensive maintenance becomes after a few years. I really like the Defender but would wait a few years to see how it proves itself...
Sponsored

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I just joined this thread to shame all you Jeeple who made the Snarky Honda Element comments. Ainā€™t nothing wrong with the Element - a truly original design, super reliable, great MPG, cult status, and good enough that Ursa Minor designed a cool roof top tent camper for it.

Granted, itā€™s ā€œ4wdā€œ was basically lo tech AWD and it has the clearance of a sedan, but the Element never suggested it was an off road rig.

i had three great years with my Ursa Minor Ecamper element, not a single mechanical issue, amazing resale (sold it with 35k miles for about 5k less than I paid), and it slept 4, could haul my dirt bikes inside, tow a small trailer, was magnificent in the snow, and returned 26 mpg. I would get mobbed at camp sites and when I sold it, I got calls all over the US.

A car I wished I hadnā€™t sold. Made me love camping and enjoyed places Iā€™d never enjoy before. Replaced by a RAM truck and an Airstream, because camping with 4 peeps in an Element was charming until the kids got bigger.

That is all I came to say. Donā€™t be a car snob.

Jeep Wrangler JL Test drove Land Rover Defender 78C29EF4-15B4-45C6-AAAF-DD4EB0AF4D7B

Last edited:

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
I just joined this thread to shame all you Jeeple who made the Snarky Honda Element comments. Ainā€™t nothing wrong with the Element - a truly original design, super reliable, great MPG, cult status, and good enough that Ursa Minor designed a cool roof top tent camper for it.

Granted, itā€™s ā€œ4wdā€œ was basically lo tech AWD and it has the clearance of a sedan, but the Element never suggested it was an off road rig.

i had three great years with my Ursa Minor Ecamper element, not a single mechanical issue, amazing resale (sold it with 35k miles for about 5k less than I paid), and it slept 4, could haul my dirt bikes inside, tow a small trailer, was magnificent in the snow, and returned 26 mpg. I would get mobbed at camp sites and when I sold it, I got calls all over the US.

A car I wished I hadnā€™t sold. Made me love camping and enjoyed places Iā€™d never enjoy before. Replaced by a RAM truck and an Airstream, because camping with 4 peeps in an Element was charming until the kids got bigger.

78C29EF4-15B4-45C6-AAAF-DD4EB0AF4D7B.jpeg
I don't think anyone was attempting to insult the Element. It was a fun quirky vehicle which filled an interesting niche. Kudos to Honda for building something 'unusual' - too many vehicles these days are bland and boring, and as Jeep owners I think we sincerely appreciate any vehicle which has a counterculture element (pun intended).

However the Element was a vehicle which had a base price below $30k, and built itself as an on-road people mover that could handle the lightest bit of off-road travel. In other words, it was what it was, and it never pretended to be something it wasn't.

However the Defender is different. It is inheriting a world-renowned nameplate. Many would claim that the Defender and the Wrangler stand together at the peak of offroad capability. Combined that with the removable top, unique boxy shapes, and a combination of other features, and I think many of us would admit the oldschool Defenders and oldschool Wranglers were sister vehicles.

Speaking only for myself here, I was anxious to see the revival of the Defender because it was supposed to rival the Wrangler. And healthy competition breeds innovation, and will keep our friends in Auburn Hills on their toes. So bring it on! However when the unibody, non-convertible, round-edged Defender came out, we were disappointed. And we called it a revived Element. That isn't an insult to the Element, but simply an observation that the vehicle the Defender was supposed to be compared to was our Wranglers, not your Element. Shame on Land Rover.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant

Jeep Wrangler JL Test drove Land Rover Defender 78C29EF4-15B4-45C6-AAAF-DD4EB0AF4D7B
You're missing my point. I'm not snubbing the Element, I think Honda makes great cars. Unfortunately I don't think LR does and when someone on this forum (a troll, no doubt) thinks the new Defender is fresh thinking...I disagree and think they were looking at the Element when they designed it.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
the only land rover i'd get is the old school 60 - 70s style defender or truck. thats about it. the d90 from 1990-2? is about as far as i'd go. other than that land rover is way over price with too many problems. i know a few folks that had land rovers and all of them said that they will never buy another one due to problems and wished they didnt get one in the first place.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
I'm in kind of a unique position I guess, as I've owned my 1964 Series IIA Land Rover for 25 years. I took it off the road and put it on a new frame in 2004-08 and since then have had zero problems with it. I love Land Rovers and seriously considered the new Defender (as well as the new Bronco) when I ordered my JL.

I've never owned a Jeep so this JL will be my first. I told a friend the other day who was surprised at my decision that if I had a magic wand and could improve all the old car things that make my 56-yr old Land Rover charming but not a serious daily driver while retaining the capability and simplicity, that car would be the JL Wrangler. I even referred to it as the American Defender.

I just took this picture yesterday, as the old girl had ferried our two canoes, 5 adults, and all our paddle stuff on our day trip. We've taken this Land Rover on 2500 mile camping and exploration trips and it's never let us down. But I'm tired of 75 bhp, zero safety features, and just basically driving an antique.

I really hope I get a good JL and don't have a lemony experience. I even ordered it in the Jeep color closest to Land Rover's classic Bronze Green, Sarge Green. Should be here any day. :)

Myron

daRm2sw.jpg

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
It will be interesting to see how they really perform offroad. Still find it ironic that India now owns both Land Rover and Jaguar
Plus Tata Motors recently announced Jaguar and Land Rover are bleeding money. Not sure what they'll do with them but reducing models and other possibilities exist.

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
I'm in kind of a unique position I guess, as I've owned my 1964 Series IIA Land Rover for 25 years. I took it off the road and put it on a new frame in 2004-08 and since then have had zero problems with it. I love Land Rovers and seriously considered the new Defender (as well as the new Bronco) when I ordered my JL.

I've never owned a Jeep so this JL will be my first. I told a friend the other day who was surprised at my decision that if I had a magic wand and could improve all the old car things that make my 56-yr old Land Rover charming but not a serious daily driver while retaining the capability and simplicity, that car would be the JL Wrangler. I even referred to it as the American Defender.

I just took this picture yesterday, as the old girl had ferried our two canoes, 5 adults, and all our paddle stuff on our day trip. We've taken this Land Rover on 2500 mile camping and exploration trips and it's never let us down. But I'm tired of 75 bhp, zero safety features, and just basically driving an antique.

I really hope I get a good JL and don't have a lemony experience. I even ordered it in the Jeep color closest to Land Rover's classic Bronze Green, Sarge Green. Should be here any day. :)

Myron

Jeep Wrangler JL Test drove Land Rover Defender daRm2sw
Nice! I had a basket case 68 88" IIA. After I added up all the restoration costs I decided to buy a brand new YJ.

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
Well, mine certainly hasn't been cheap to run if I added up all my costs over 25 years of ownership, but it was the realization of a boyhood dream and I learned a lot about auto mechanics over those years. Now it's like a family member. Besides, it's not about the money; it's about the experiences that lead to happiness.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I agree they look sharp. But I still, for the life of me, don't understand why LR didn't make a convertible option. The old Defenders were, like Wranglers, perfect fun summer vehicles. Whether it's on the Serengeti, a trail in Utah, or just driving around town, who doesn't want to experience the open air. Hopefully they fix this in future years.
That's their critical mistake

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Cant believe people think it looks good. I think its terrible all around. Terrible styling, soft roader unibody, no credibility. I think this will bankrupt JLR, seriously. None of their vehicles has any off road cred now. They need an anchor vehicle with true cred that the other can siphon off of. This is the end of Land Rover.
Hmmm... nah, it actually has really good hardware. Problem is you can't fit decent tires without throwing away everything Landrover engineered into it. It's capable but not without significant body damage

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Hmmm... nah, it actually has really good hardware. Problem is you can't fit decent tires without throwing away everything Landrover engineered into it. It's capable but not without significant body damage
I spotted these this morning...

7CE12E72-E90C-46D1-B826-0CCAC2149118.jpeg

B36948C7-1C25-465F-A20E-67383BE74091.jpeg
Sponsored