Sponsored

Factory Steel Bumper and Cable Winch

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I have yet to see any photos of the factory Mopar steel bumper with a winch having steel cable and rollers. Are they not compatible?

If you have any pics, or come across any please share. Installing the bumper and winch tomorrow
Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Because the rollers stick out beyond the nubs, will the winch be damaged in a bump or collision
Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Steel Bumper and Cable Winch 5D1EF3A2-F3AB-478E-8E54-96988FED172D

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Because the rollers stick out beyond the nubs, will the winch be damaged in a bump or collision?
If the impact is forceful enough, there could be damage to the winch. But, I don't think it's much different than having a winch with synthetic line.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
If the impact is forceful enough, there could be damage to the winch. But, I don't think it's much different than having a winch with synthetic line.
A winch with synthetic line installed with the factory steel bumper is protected a bit. The two front nubs stick out beyond the plate and take the first brunt of the impact. With rollers they stick out beyond the two nubs

now, if the rollers are damaged does that impact for e translate to the winch? Or is it separate because the winch isn’t mounted to the bumper?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

A winch with synthetic line installed with the factory steel bumper is protected a bit. The two front nubs stick out beyond the plate and take the first brunt of the impact. With rollers they stick out beyond the two nubs

now, if the rollers are damaged does that impact for e translate to the winch? Or is it separate because the winch isn’t mounted to the bumper?
Everything you are asking is hypothetical. No one knows what will happen until it happens. Angle, speed, etc. will all play a role in what type of damage is done if you're hit in that area.

Ultimately it's your vehicle. Run the winch you have and enjoy your vehicle. If you're going to worry about the winch every time you drive, then don't install it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Everything you are asking is hypothetical. No one knows what will happen until it happens. Angle, speed, etc. will all play a role in what type of damage is done if you're hit in that area.

Ultimately it's your vehicle. Run the winch you have and enjoy your vehicle. If you're going to worry about the winch every time you drive, then don't install it.
Well, with so many members here I was hoping to go on their experience. Such as "I was going 5mph down a trail and went into a tree, it was fine, rollers worked and everything"; or "I rear ended someone at 35mph and the winch was destroyed", stuff like that. That is the whole point of forum communities.

Take a chill pill. Jeeze, I've gotta go to NYC this Fall for business, will all Long Islander Jeepers be this abrasive?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Take a chill pill. Jeeze, I've gotta go to NYC this Fall for business, will all Long Islander Jeepers be this abrasive?
There was nothing abrasive about my response. You asked a question on a public forum and I answered. The reality is, no one can tell you what will happen in an accident with your particular setup. Every setup is different and that's what makes your jeep different than mine and different than everyone else's on this forum. That's why I mentioned that it's ultimately your vehicle and your decision on what to run. Good luck and have fun visiting NY.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
There was nothing abrasive about my response. You asked a question on a public forum and I answered. The reality is, no one can tell you what will happen in an accident with your particular setup. Every setup is different and that's what makes your jeep different than mine and different than everyone else's on this forum. That's why I mentioned that it's ultimately your vehicle and your decision on what to run. Good luck and have fun visiting NY.
You did not answer the question. You said there is no answer. There could be an answer, 500k Wranglers sold each year, for 10 years, means there is a good chance that someone on here ran a Mopar steel bumper and steel cable winch. Hence, it was appropriate to ask and expect an answer to my specific situation. And because it is my decision ultimately, I like to have as much information before I get into a modification. A lot of folks do, that's why they ask questions on here. If you don't know, or don't care to share your personal experience with your rig and let me discern the differences and variables at play, then there's no need to just deter others from giving advice. My view on your behavior, anyway.

And thank you for the well wishes on my trip. Yes, company paid room at Time Square for a week. 7a-8p working but hope to find something to do and spend as little money as possible to that city.
Sponsored